PDA

View Full Version : Agassi's school might have license yanked

Shaolin
03-10-2004, 08:06 AM
http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1697189&nav=168XLO5g

norcal
03-10-2004, 08:37 AM
The people in the article are bitter...people always blaming teachers for their kids' poor performance. I have heard nothing (except this article) but postive things about the AA acadamy.

jun
03-10-2004, 09:51 AM
hard to tell what's really going on inside the school.

But going through 4 teachers is a lot...I wonder how Agassi is going to react..

jayserinos99
03-10-2004, 09:54 AM
You have to wonder if he does anything at all for the school besides fund it and slap his name on the school sign. I always thought that Perry Rogers dealt with all of his business holdings?

baseliner
03-10-2004, 10:15 AM
Hard to believe, a government run school district finding fault with a private charter school! :shock: We all know what an excellent job the government schools are doing in educating our children. Column does not specify what the violations are. Everything I have heard about the school is lauditory including AA's personal involvement.

Brian Purdie
03-10-2004, 06:41 PM
from the site: sate [the article misspells the word "state"] law requires that only 70-percent of their teachers to be licensed.
"So that means they could get away without having a licensed teacher in P.E., art, music and perhaps some other elective courses,"

GASP! You mean the gov't doesn't have a say on these employees. You mean there are reckless non-Teacher Union workers. They don't pay dues! We can't have this! Shut their doors.

Also:"One teacher came in on Monday and Wednesday and the other teacher came on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and when she couldn't make it, they would bring in another sub. And this year my daughter Courtney went through four teachers."

I recall a certain Spanish substitute teacher, Mrs. Peggy Hill, who really made an impression on me. She could teach.

also: Eyewitness News spoke with the Principal Kim Allen ... Allen says she plans on having the school up to state standards within the 90-day period.

Note: No word on whether or not any public schools were being investigated. After all, AA has problems like substitute teachers and unlicensed teachers running around. This is much more important than the MJ, alcohol, gang, and gun problems down the street at Las Vegas High School.

I_Teach
03-10-2004, 07:52 PM
Hard to believe, a government run school district finding fault with a private charter school! :shock: We all know what an excellent job the government schools are doing in educating our children..

There may be some legitimate problems at the AA Academy, but I doubt it's anything serious. Sometimes teacher attrition is a fact of life, just as it is in any other job.

I am, to some extent hijacking this thread, but as a teacher, I get tired of the sarcasm and disrespect from so many people.

Imagine for a moment that someone who is not qualified to do your job, nor has ever done your job, continuously low-rates you and the job you do.

Those of us in education are very aware that there are problems, but one of the biggest problems is that we have people (politicians/legislators and parents who have no clue what is going on with their children) who rant and rave about teachers, administrators and schools, when they really have no idea what is going on.

When I was young, for example, we (American students) were compared with the Japanese students and found lacking. The problem was that no one understood that the "experts" were comparing the entire student population to the "upper crust" of the Japanese students.

Currently, people are comparing states and schools based upon standardized skills and aptitude tests. The problem there is that each state uses a different test. There is no SINGLE standardized test taken by all students nationwide. Do people realize this? Only educators.

I won't even start on parents who haven't taught the concepts of culpability, responsibility and respect to their children. I won't mention that I've had parents tell me, "My child DID NOT cheat on that test. I don't care if you have what you think is a cheat-sheet. He said he didn't cheat, and I believe him." Nor will I mention that teachers pay for their recertification courses out of their own pockets. I also won't mention teen pregnancy. Oops, just did.

Well, boys and girls, it is now 10:49 PM here on the eastern coast, and I have a meeting before school, at lunch, and after school to attend. At some point in time, I may even [gasp] eat lunch and go to the bathroom.