PDA

View Full Version : Adult practice/training/instruction.

goober
01-20-2007, 10:34 AM
So most of us adults have busy schdeules with work, family, ect.

I am just curious what everybody is doing. I only get to play 2-3 times/week and I usually end up playing practice matches because that is what my partners want. It is not a great way to improve. Are most of you taking weekly lessons, clinics or doing drills? What's your tennis rountine like?

Cindysphinx
01-20-2007, 11:22 AM
I couldn't say what I do is a "tennis routine," but here it is.

I take a 90-minute semi-private lesson once a week. When my friend can't make it, I take it as a 1-hour private.

I usually play a two-hour practice match with girlfriends/teammates during the day once a week. I usually practice with one of my league teams on Saturdays for two hours.

In good weather, I go to practice my serve for an hour a week.

I try to run or take a strength class on days I'm not playing tennis, but the class is outside and it's way too flippin' cold right now.

Please do not tell my husband about these things. He thinks I'm cleaning the toilets! :D

goober
01-20-2007, 11:52 AM
If your husband thinks you are spending 2 hours to clean the toliets, you got a good ruse going on :)

My wife: "Tennis again?"

Me: "I haven't played all week"

Cindysphinx
01-20-2007, 12:52 PM
If your husband thinks you are spending 2 hours to clean the toliets, you got a good ruse going on :)

He has started to question why I need so many short skirts to clean the toilets. :D

raiden031
01-21-2007, 08:16 AM
I play singles in the mornings about 2-3 days a week. I usually play one evening of doubles each week. I might play singles on a weekend once a month. I will hit against a racquetball court wall about 2-3 days a week as well, anywhere from 30-60 minutes.

I also lift weights, run on the treadmill, and participate in a basic training style fitness program when I'm not playing tennis. Tennis is always top priority though because once I build tennis skills, they are not forgotten, they just get rusty when not used. That way if my lifestyle changes to where I can't play much, I will already be at the level I want to be, and playing once a week or even less will allow me to still keep the rust off.

Topaz
01-21-2007, 09:01 AM
I take a two hour clinic once a week with one team, a 90 minute clinic once a week with my other team, and then have various matches. During the summer my outdoor team will also have two practices on Saturday mornings.

I also run, lift, and do yoga...I basically fit those things in when I can.

tennismike33
01-22-2007, 07:22 AM
I play almost everyday. My day starts early, from 6-8am I am at the tennis center and play with a variety of people, 3.5-5.0's, there is a regular rotation.

Then on the weekends I am calling around trying to get a couple of matches a day in. Sunday I play in the morning from 8-10, then again in the evening from 6-8.

When I first started playing tennis again 5-6 years ago I was taking group lessons 1-3 times/week, but the wife said things were getting out of hand and we were paying to much for tennis.

In the summer I will play 3-5 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday and my regular morning sessions.

I should go back to a more structured hotting routine, as right now we tend to play hitting games, which is good but I get no work done on my serve and just a little bit of work done on volleys.

I should go back to the ball machine at least once a week to sharpen those skills.

I finished early this morning and could have used the time to do fitness work but chose to come to work instead so that I could read the overnight postings here.

JRstriker12
01-22-2007, 07:58 AM
Right now I am splitting time in a bubble with some of my friends so I usually get to play some doubles once a week for about 1.5 hours. I also play in a doubles league, so add a competative doubles match in every 2 weeks or so. When I have the time and money, I may join up with a 3.5-4.0 group lesson at one of the local health clubs.

When it warms up, I'll probably play about 2-4 times a week. Usually a team tennis match (mens and mixed doubles), a singles Tennis Ladder Match, and usually practice for about 2-3hrs on the weekend. I may squeeze in a pre-church practice session of the weather is nice.

I also mix in weight training and cardio 3-4 times a week, ususally before going to work.

JRstriker12
01-22-2007, 08:00 AM

Man, I know that feeling. Ugh!!!

ElSuegro
01-22-2007, 08:18 AM
You people are giving me an inferiority complex. This time of year, I'm lucky to hit once a month. It will be warmer in a few months though :)

Roforot
01-23-2007, 03:56 AM
I've come to the same realization.

I made a deal w/ myself that I'll only play matches (practice or USTA) on the Weekend. Monday-Friday, if I get some free time, I'll use it to drill w/ a friend or work on my serve.

The other thing I've started doing is taking a group lesson or rather a workout once a week. It's pretty brutal but I hope to reap the benefits this summer.

migjam
01-23-2007, 04:54 AM
I play almost everyday. My day starts early, from 6-8am I am at the tennis center and play with a variety of people, 3.5-5.0's, there is a regular rotation.

Then on the weekends I am calling around trying to get a couple of matches a day in. Sunday I play in the morning from 8-10, then again in the evening from 6-8.

When I first started playing tennis again 5-6 years ago I was taking group lessons 1-3 times/week, but the wife said things were getting out of hand and we were paying to much for tennis.

In the summer I will play 3-5 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday and my regular morning sessions.

I should go back to a more structured hotting routine, as right now we tend to play hitting games, which is good but I get no work done on my serve and just a little bit of work done on volleys.

I should go back to the ball machine at least once a week to sharpen those skills.

I finished early this morning and could have used the time to do fitness work but chose to come to work instead so that I could read the overnight postings here.

And your wife isn't telling you your routine is out of hand now?? ;)

eunjam
01-23-2007, 07:56 AM
1 hour lesson - once every week. sometimes every 2 weeks.
2 x week - matchplay (one is 5 sets, no matter who wins the sets, other is basic 2 out of 3.)
1 x week - club group set play (play 1 set round robin as many as possible until lights go off from 7:00 - 9:45 PM.)

anything more than that is gravy.

i do have one of those practice swing things that i can hit all day long and work on my form at home.

tennismike33
01-23-2007, 01:54 PM
And your wife isn't telling you your routine is out of hand now?? ;)

Nope!!! The only thing she will complain about is when I travel with you!!!!

JRstriker12
01-23-2007, 02:11 PM
Nope!!! The only thing she will complain about is when I travel with you!!!!

Lucky dog!

tennismike33
01-23-2007, 03:01 PM
Lucky dog!

Have you ever traveled with MIGJAM????

MordredSJT
01-23-2007, 03:19 PM
I still run into people that think that being a tennis pro means you just hang out and play tennis all day. However, I really only get to play about once a week...if that. I do get to feed plenty of balls to a wide variety of people and hit at half speed three or four times a week.

JRstriker12
01-23-2007, 07:38 PM
Have you ever traveled with MIGJAM????

LOL! NO I haven't, I was talking more about your tennis schedule. My wife would never tolerate that much tennis. Heck if my hitting session goes past an hour and a half, she has a hard time.

tennismike33
01-23-2007, 08:10 PM
LOL! NO I haven't, I was talking more about your tennis schedule. My wife would never tolerate that much tennis. Heck if my hitting session goes past an hour and a half, she has a hard time.

LOL, I try to understand but my wife and I have a tennis understanding, 75% of my tennis is played before the sun comes up. MIGJAM and I play from 6-7am, then a couple of other guys play from 7-8.

tennismike33
01-23-2007, 08:11 PM

Another thought, if she can't keep up with that much tennis, she needs to do some additional road work and roap jumping, then maybe she can hang for 2hrs of hitting!!!

Geezer Guy
01-24-2007, 10:44 AM
I play singles every Monday and Tuesday at Noon for 1 1/2 - 2 hours.
I play doubles on Wed night for 2 hours.
I play singles on Thu nights for 2 hours.
Fridays I hit with a ball machine and practice serves for 1.5 hours.

Saturday's I used to play USTA, but have not found a team since I got bumped up in December.
Sunday's I'll sometimes sub in a league if someone needs me to, but generally not.