PDA

View Full Version : Elbow up on forehand??

trigger1
08-25-2004, 01:20 PM
I have seen many professional players use this common technique, more so during warm up. I use it consciously and it does seem to help get my forehand rhythm going. But by lifting the elbow on the back swing what does it actually facilitate; shoulder rotation, top-spin. Obviously one can only use it when there is ample time for preparation, but if the ball is hit deep and hard this technique would not work well.

Thanks in advance on any advice you may have :D

Mahboob Khan
08-25-2004, 07:07 PM
Basically this stems from the use of the non-hitting arm (left arm for right-handed player).

You realize the ball is coming to your forehand. The left arm helps in pushing the racket/body backward and upward with this the hitting arm is naturally bent at elbow and on its way to make a C loop. The C looking loop in the backswing and full follow-through after contact create enough distance for the racket to travel before and after contact allowing the racket to gain speed along the way! Your car needs more distance to generate speed!

Yes, in emergency situations, all you can do is to block the ball back. Hitting the ball with authority, and just benting the ball back, are two different things.

vin
08-26-2004, 04:24 AM
At the beginning of the forehand forward swing, the butt cap of the racquet is brought forward. Ideally this happens in conjunction with the elbow. By having the hitting elbow up at shoulder level during the backswing, you are giving your elbow more distance to travel and generate momentum while bringing the racquet butt forward.

I learned this from easitennis.com and they refer to this elbow/racquet butt movement as the 'contract phase'.

trigger1
08-26-2004, 01:03 PM
Thanks for the help.

"I learned this from easitennis.com and they refer to this elbow/racquet butt movement as the 'contract phase'"

Vin is this "contract" or "contact" phase?

papa
08-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Well, it seems to me that by keeping the non-racquet hand engaged (on the racquet) during the backswing helps get the shoulders turned perpendicular to the net - not that it can't be done with one hand its just seems easier -- try it.

Having said that, I would strongly suggest you review BB's numerous posts - although there are others who have good ideas, his posts seem right on the money -- always well thought out and presented.

vin
08-27-2004, 04:11 AM
Vin is this "contract" or "contact" phase?

Contract. There is no 'contact' phase in the easitennis system. The five phases are:

Takeback
Contract
Rotate
Accelerate
Strike (could be thought of as the 'contact' phase)

Join the website and read about it. It's well worth it.