PDA

View Full Version : Bernard Tomic

The Grand Slam
01-21-2007, 04:10 PM
As of now, Julia Cohen and Stephanie Wiltshire are playing. Following their match is Ilija Vucic v Greg Jones. Then straight after that, it's all Tomic. He plays sixth seed from Bolivia, Jose Roberto Velasco.

EasternRocks
08-07-2007, 07:26 PM
Yeah, hes good...He has alot of potential and can compete with kids that are much older than he is. He won the 14s Orange Bowl, and hes 14 playing 18s ITF. And hes also won a few.!!!

TennisNinja
08-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Does anyone know of any videos of him playing? It'll be cool to see how he plays.

Rpp
08-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Does anyone know of any videos of him playing? It'll be cool to see how he plays.

I might have a clip or two...let's see. He is a good baseliner. Very solid strokes, especially the backhand is effortless and flat. He has still lot of work to do in movement, serve and volleys.

NebAce1
08-12-2007, 05:40 PM
I might have a clip or two...let's see. He is a good baseliner. Very solid strokes, especially the backhand is effortless and flat. He has still lot of work to do in movement, serve and volleys.

That would be great if u could post a clip. Also is he more a defensive player, or offensive? Thanks.

AndrewD
08-13-2007, 04:41 AM
As a point of comparison:
Tomic was recently runner-up in a local Australian tournament, losing to a 31 year old, former ATP player. Admittedly, that bloke only played briefly on tour and never broke 700 but he did beat a number of players who achieved rankings between 100 and 200. He has won the tournament 4 of the last 5 years, only losing to a player currently ranked in the top 200. Suffice to say, he's in great shape and still hits a pro level ball - heavy and with a lot of power.

Tomic lost, 2 and 2, although he did manage a break of serve early in the first set. Key difference was that, although Tomic is very smooth and appears to be a good match player, he is physically still a child and doesn't have the strength to go with someone who hits a 'tour standard' ball. Not at all unlike Donald Young (who routinely lost on tour until he began to mature and develop some strength) although Tomic is already taller than Young and, going on the build of his father, is likely to fill out well (possibly top out around 6`1). I don't think his game is as mature as Young's was, at 15, but it matches up well to most others.

As another point of comparison: in the semi-final he beat, in 3 sets (6-1 or 6-3 in the final set), the current UCLA #6, a player ranked around 100-110 in the college game.

Technically, his serve is nothing more than functional, at this stage, although I don't consider that a liability. He doesn't have an Ivanisevic arm (few do) so, until he puts on some more size, there's little point in trying to win crank the serve at top pace (that might cause injury). Doesn't really toss the ball in to the court and relies mostly on spin (against a tour calibre player, that isn't enough). The backhand looks better than the forehand (a good sign) as it is more technically sound, however, he has good range on the forehand. Seems to have a lot of time to play his shots and good court sense. Volleys are crisp and he moves well at net. Defensive skills are exceptionally good and he rarely seems rushed (except against a consistantly heavy hitter: not many of those in the juniors).

All up, he's a good player but has a lot more development needed before he'll be ready to hit the pro tour. Like Donald Young, he needs to mature physically and add more weight to his shots (Chang and Hewitt, especially Hewitt, hit an exceptionally heavy ball, even at age 15).

JMS
08-13-2007, 07:39 AM
Tomic was recently runner-up in a local Australian tournament, losing to a 31 year old, former ATP player. Admittedly, that bloke only played briefly on tour and never broke 700 but he did beat a number of players who achieved rankings between 100 and 200. He has won the tournament 4 of the last 5 years, only losing to a player currently ranked in the top 200. Suffice to say, he's in great shape and still hits a pro level ball - heavy and with a lot of power.

Tomic lost, 2 and 2, although he did manage a break of serve early in the first set. Key difference was that, although Tomic is very smooth and appears to be a good match player, he is physically still a child and doesn't have the strength to go with someone who hits a 'tour standard' ball. Not at all unlike Donald Young (who routinely lost on tour until he began to mature and develop some strength) although Tomic is already taller than Young and, going on the build of his father, is likely to fill out well (possibly top out around 6`1). I don't think his game is as mature as Young's was, at 15, but it matches up well to most others.

As another point of comparison: in the semi-final he beat, in 3 sets (6-1 or 6-3 in the final set), the current UCLA #6, a player ranked around 100-110 in the college game.

Technically, his serve is nothing more than functional, at this stage, although I don't consider that a liability. He doesn't have an Ivanisevic arm (few do) so, until he puts on some more size, there's little point in trying to win crank the serve at top pace (that might cause injury). Doesn't really toss the ball in to the court and relies mostly on spin (against a tour calibre player, that isn't enough). The backhand looks better than the forehand (a good sign) as it is more technically sound, however, he has good range on the forehand. Seems to have a lot of time to play his shots and good court sense. Volleys are crisp and he moves well at net. Defensive skills are exceptionally good and he rarely seems rushed (except against a consistantly heavy hitter: not many of those in the juniors).

All up, he's a good player but has a lot more development needed before he'll be ready to hit the pro tour. Like Donald Young, he needs to mature physically and add more weight to his shots (Chang and Hewitt, especially Hewitt, hit an exceptionally heavy ball, even at age 15).

thank you, it is hard to find much of anything about him

TennisNinja
08-14-2007, 06:17 PM

That's great. I rarely find a lot of information about him. Just a short article here and there.

equinox
08-26-2007, 04:11 AM
thank you, it is hard to find much of anything about him

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=615103&postcount=5

Mikael
08-26-2007, 04:37 AM
I saw Tomic at the FO earlier this year, when he lost in the 2nd round to some Lithuanian guy... It wasn't close, Tomic lost like 2 and 2 or something like that, and he seemed to be very lackadaisical on the court, not really caring. He had some support from other Australian kids watching his match but he really didn't put up a fight. I didn't know he was 14 though, that explains why he looked so frail and weak.

AndrewD
08-26-2007, 04:55 AM
I saw Tomic at the FO earlier this year, when he lost in the 2nd round to some Lithuanian guy... It wasn't close, Tomic lost like 2 and 2 or something like that, and he seemed to be very lackadaisical on the court, not really caring. He had some support from other Australian kids watching his match but he really didn't put up a fight. I didn't know he was 14 though, that explains why he looked so frail and weak.

He tanked. As a result, he was sent home and missed the chance of competing at junior Wimbledon.

Rpp
08-26-2007, 06:30 AM

He lost to Berankis who is one of the top juniors, the result was not a big surprise. I think Tomic has been playing too much bigger events, some category 3 or 4 would be good here and there. He is still a young kid.

JMS
08-26-2007, 08:54 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=615103&postcount=5

thanks.........

NebAce1
08-26-2007, 10:32 AM
He tanked. As a result, he was sent home and missed the chance of competing at junior Wimbledon.

and the junior US Open.

NebAce1
08-26-2007, 10:33 AM
And also just wondering again. is he more of a defensive or offensive player? It sounds like defensive, but I can't really tell.

Rpp
08-26-2007, 12:11 PM
and the junior US Open.

He is on Junior USO entry list, qualifying though...

NebAce1
08-26-2007, 12:16 PM
He is on Junior USO entry list, qualifying though...

oh really?, my bad. I thought that he lost funding for the Junior USO too.

mrmo1115
09-04-2007, 03:36 PM
correct me if im wrong

bernard tomic lost in the final round of qualifying but beat a top seed in the main as a lucky loser?

wow thats impressive

Mesomer
09-04-2007, 04:19 PM
yes i saw the whole match and got his bandana after as well

JMS
09-04-2007, 04:53 PM
correct me if im wrong

bernard tomic lost in the final round of qualifying but beat a top seed in the main as a lucky loser?

wow thats impressive

saw that match, very impressive

NebAce1
09-04-2007, 05:13 PM
saw that match, very impressive

How would u describe his game?

JMS
09-04-2007, 05:36 PM
How would u describe his game?

smooth, defensive he would be hitting high topspin one second and then catch his opponent by surprise by hitting flat with big pace, very good under pressure, good serve placement and excellent retriever

EasternRocks
09-11-2007, 05:20 PM
He did really good at the US Open Jrs. He lost in the final round of qualies and got in as a lucky loser. In the first rd, he beat the 4rth seed, FERNANDO ROMBOLI from Brazil. Then he won another rd and got to the rd of 16. Than lost, to the eventual finialist. I think he'll win a JR Grand Slam next yr. He's only 15, Hes GOT THE GAME, hes got the head and he has the potential.
i c a future top 10est

AndrewD
09-11-2007, 11:54 PM
Hes GOT THE GAME, hes got the head and he has the potential. i c a future top 10est

Only trouble is that he doesn't have the spin. That's why he put in the poor effort at the French - frustrated at how little bite he was getting and how hard he had to work for a point compared to his opponents with the heavy top. Ended up having a 14 year old's melt-down. He's now in the process of trying to add spin to his game and, how he goes with that could play a major part in his future. Coaches say it'll probably set him back about 6 months but, fortunately, he does have the talent to make the change.

redsoxrock930
09-12-2007, 05:39 PM
learning to hit with heavy top spin will be worth six months

feyya
09-13-2007, 01:34 PM
i'd like to see him play

AndrewD
09-13-2007, 04:44 PM
learning to hit with heavy top spin will be worth six months

Not heavy top, that's counter-productive, just enough spin to give him more margin for error and so he can combat the big spinners on clay

Eureka
10-14-2007, 06:34 AM

The Lithuanian guy was Ricardas Berankis Winner of US junior Slam and semi finalist Aust Open Juniors and Wimbledon Juniors. That was also the match Tennis Australia officials sent Tomic home after for lack of effort banning him for 8 weeks which stopped him playing Wimbledon

Ronny
10-14-2007, 06:52 AM
The Lithuanian guy was Ricardas Berankis Winner of US junior Slam and semi finalist Aust Open Juniors and Wimbledon Juniors. That was also the match Tennis Australia officials sent Tomic home after for lack of effort banning him for 8 weeks which stopped him playing Wimbledon

What do you mean lack of effort? Did they think he wasn't trying? That's ridiculous.....banning him and making him miss out on a Slam...

tennis_nerd22
10-14-2007, 11:53 AM
any videos?

tennis_nerd22
10-14-2007, 11:59 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hVKeK2AgXMo

here's one. from the rosebowl...

the video quality makes him look a bit worse i think, cant really judge how hard he's hitting.

NebAce1
10-14-2007, 12:57 PM

the video quality makes him look a bit worse i think, cant really judge how hard he's hitting.

yea from this video he doesnt look that great. He looks like he hits a really flat serve. Then kind of pushes from the baseline, and waits for his opponent to come in, and tries to pass him. Maybe it's the video, I don't know, but if it isnt the video then I dont get how he wins so many matches? Any explanations?

Techniques
10-16-2007, 04:01 AM
Dude he's versing Scott Draper who was a top 100 pro not long ago and won a mixed doubles Aussie Open as well a few years ago. It looks like he's doing ok against him. Tomic is pretty tall- his movement is never going to be Hewittesque.

nickarnold2000
10-16-2007, 07:09 AM
What do you mean lack of effort? Did they think he wasn't trying? That's ridiculous.....banning him and making him miss out on a Slam...
Because this is where the bad habits start - early in life. Let the kid know what's acceptable and what isn't or you'll end up with another McEnroe.

BradBaughman
10-16-2007, 12:25 PM

which one was tomic I coulndt tell by the video who was older was he in the black and white or the red shirt and thank for posting the video

Big Fed
10-16-2007, 01:05 PM
I thought he would be some tiny guy. But he's pretty tall.

Shaolin
10-16-2007, 02:18 PM
Who won that, Tomic or Draper?

JMS
10-16-2007, 02:27 PM
which one was tomic I coulndt tell by the video who was older was he in the black and white or the red shirt and thank for posting the video

tomic is in the black and white

AndrewD
10-16-2007, 05:32 PM
Dude he's versing Scott Draper who was a top 100 pro not long ago and won a mixed doubles Aussie Open as well a few years ago. It looks like he's doing ok against him. Tomic is pretty tall- his movement is never going to be Hewittesque.

Not Scott Draper (ATP top 50 singles and left-handed) but his brother Mark (ATP top 150 singles, right-handed). Like Tomic, Mark Draper (and Scott) is from Queensland so they hit together on a regular basis. As Mark still hits a pro level ball and is in top notch physical condition he has a little bit more strength than Bernard can handle at the moment. Another year and that won't be the case. Draper won that match but think it went to 3 sets.

baghdatis
10-17-2007, 01:57 AM
score was 6-4 7-6 Mark's way