PDA

View Full Version : tennis in the cold

sanitarium
08-26-2004, 07:21 AM
Before playing a match in the cold, what do you differently?

Wear a sweater while warming up... Drink coffee or something before your match, Do decent stretching/physical warmup aside from tennis?

kevhen
08-26-2004, 07:30 AM
Sweatshirt and sweatpants, I wear throughout a very cold match. Cottom sweats are best since they don't make noise and flex easily so it doesn't interfere with any motions. Warm up at the net to get the feet and body moving. Don't try to hit too hard right away in cold weather or you might tear muscle.

What is cold for you? I consider cold 40-55 degrees. I try not to play below 40 degrees unless it's very sunny, not windy, and feels warm at 35. Balls and strings do not like cold weather and you will not have as much power and the balls will not bounce. It's like playing a match with dead balls in the summertime, which is maybe not so enjoyable. Go inside and play if you can.

polakosaur
08-26-2004, 07:46 AM
cut a hole in the end of a sock and put you racquet through and on the other end put your hand through, its a bootleg way to keep you hands warm

predrag
08-26-2004, 08:04 AM
cut a hole in the end of a sock and put you racquet through and on the other end put your hand through, its a bootleg way to keep you hands warm

This is advice I wanted to give :)

Now question is, what to to for 2 handed bkhnd?

Regards, Predrag

touchytennis
08-26-2004, 08:17 AM
wear another sock on ur other hand :D

kevhen
08-26-2004, 08:29 AM
Something over the ears can be good too if your head doesn't sweat too much otherwise the sweat will stick and make you feel colder.

Having a portable heater for changeovers might be a bit extreme. I usually just get a quick sip of water and take a very short changeover on cold days to keep everything moving along.

kevhen
08-26-2004, 08:32 AM
I think Joe Namath wore pantyhose on the really cold days.

gregraven
08-26-2004, 09:23 AM
I string up one frame 5 pounds looser than my normal frames, for those coooold, coooold California evenings and winters.

skuludo
08-27-2004, 03:17 AM
I've played tennis at -5 degrees celcius and I think wearing a t-shirt and trackpants is good enough. Just be sure to keep moving otherwise your arms would freeze. Also try to keep the handle of your racket warm by holding on to it with both hands.

Also I did not get sick playing like this.

Camilio Pascual
08-27-2004, 04:44 AM
When I played in cold weather:
1. I didn't really warm up. The worst thing you can do is go out there overdressed, warm up, and start sweating. Then you are in trouble.
2. Yes, I know everything is less elastic in the cold, muscles, strings, racquet, and the ball. So how did I avoid injury and tennis elbow?
3. Take TWO gigantic steps into the court from the baseline when it is below 40F. Then start playing and adjust from there. Unless the other guy really knows what he is doing, no man's land is the place to be in cold tennis. You will not have to hit nearly as hard to get the ball deep and your opponent will be straining to get deep balls back to you. You have shortened the court on him. If he tries angled winners, they won't have pace and he'll have to loft them a lot to get them over the net, you'll be able to run them down. If he tries to get them to your baseline from his, he will also have to loft the ball to a degree where you can pick off a lot of floaters before they bounce. Sometimes my new baseline was about 3' deeper than the service line.

Feņa14
08-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Well from England I'm used to it, I have played in less than 30 on winter nights and I really like it for some reason.

I just usually wear joggers, and lots of t-shirts with my normal tennis shirt on top, and basically just get on with it.

The old whiskey before during and after also goes down a treat :wink:

-Liam

gmlasam
08-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Wow!! After reading some of your posts, I feel guilty and I take living in California for granted where we can play tennis 24/7 all year long.

I would go nuts if I couldn't play tennis all year long.

bravestennis
08-27-2004, 07:14 PM
i shovle off courts to play and your sitting there tanning in Febuary..... :(