PDA

View Full Version : Tennis worthy MP3 players?

rwjenkins
08-26-2004, 09:07 AM
Any recommendations on mp3 players for tennis? Besides withstanding the movement without damage/skipping/etc., it would need to hold up to alot of sweat.

I'm guessing hard-drive based players are out of the question? Flash-based, sports-capable options appear limited with the new Rio Forge 512, Philips Nike MP3Max 512, and Creative muvo2 x-trainer as the most popular options.

However, at $199+ for those, it sure makes me look long and hard at hard-drive based models with WAY more memory. Will something like the Apple ipod mini be tough enough for tennis? I don't expect to play tourneys with it on but would like to hit and play practice matches with it maybe. I'm 5+ mostly singles player in the heat of texas. It will get WET.

Thanks!
Rich

perfmode
08-26-2004, 09:38 AM
Why do you need an mp3 player for tennis? Just get a portable radio and hang it on the back fence.

I keep a 3g 40gb iPod in my bag though. I never tried playing with it on though.

rwjenkins
08-26-2004, 09:50 AM
Actually, a broken boombox is what started my interest. I've drifted toward the mp3 players because I'd be able to use it more often and be less constrained on music selection by opponent or next court! ;-)

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if I just end up replacing the box. I think having an armband or belt clip device is going to bug me on court but now that they are in the 2 oz range, it's worth checking out, eh?

I'd also use it biking and walking the dog. I'm a little too old to successfully pull off the box on the shoulder look and still be cool. lol

perfmode
08-26-2004, 10:02 PM
get an ipod with portable speakers. I have never heard the speakers but now I think I might get some if they are loud enough and sound decent.

Ace
08-30-2004, 03:54 AM
definately get a flash player. i am happy with my iriver.
i bought the iriver 190T for $149 on amazon.com.

the new 700 and 800 series plays ogg files, supports usb 2.0, and has a longer battery life. also download the firmware that lets you transfer files as if the iriver was a flash drive, makes things nice and easy.

i wear mine when i'm by myself practicing my serve.

checkout www.iriver.com

rwjenkins
08-30-2004, 05:46 AM
Yeah, the iriver got good props from cnet so it's on the top of my list with the rio forge. Looks like selection will be price based between the two. Hunting on **** now. :-)

What kind of ear phones are you using? Are the ones that come with it OK? Using the armband when serving or clipped to waist? Any issues with sweat?

Thanks!
Rich

Ace
09-07-2004, 08:51 AM
The earbuds that came with it (Sennheiser MX300) sound really good, but I don't like earbuds. They make me feel like my ears are being violated.
So I bought some Sennheiser PX100's. They are nice and lightweight and fold up. They have a nice warm sound. Could be a little crispier, though, but for the price and the portability they are damn good.
I haven't used the iriver for playing matches or anything, so I can't comment on how it holds up to real sweating too much. I have only used it to go out and practice my serve. And mine didn't come with an armband either, so I don't know how those work.
I wear it around the neck, tie it up tight, then throw the iriver around the back so it doesn't bounce up in my face.