PDA

View Full Version : Lack of Confidence in 1hbh

perfmode
08-26-2004, 10:01 AM
MY two hander is alright but I want to adopt a 1HBH. I can hit solid, consistent 1H but I don't feel confident enough to do it. How can I get more comfortable in matches to take advantage of my new 1HBH?

Skinny Dip
08-26-2004, 11:12 AM
ANY stroke that was solid and consistant I wouldn't hesitate to use in a match (I have so few of those). But anyone here will tell you it takes a while to get the point where you use a 1hbh in a match with confidence.

I like using the ball machine to get in a groove with the 1hbh. You can hit the same shot over and over, and the 1hbh is so nice and effortless to hit with the pressure off that its actually a lot of fun to do.

lendl lives
08-26-2004, 12:55 PM
1. Watch federer. Watch good 5.0/open players
2. Prepare your feet as early as possible for the drive
3. Swing the handle of the raquet
4. Don't start your swing fast. Build it up, crescendo.

i've been trying a one hander as a handicap. i wish i could hit it as consistantly as my 2 hander. i can see why federer covers so much court. i feel like i can get to any ball with a one hander. with a one hander i can hit faster drives but slower topspin. i'd rather have a good one hander than two any day.

finchy
08-26-2004, 01:01 PM
thats not good perfmode. confidence is one of the biggest factors when playing tennis. especially with hitting out in front of you body. hitting out always gets me confident.

i'd say, force yourself to do so. stop using the 2 hander so much, but only in dire situations. for the rest, use the 1 hander. its just a mind thing with you. nothing wrong with your stroke as far as i can tell (which isnt much considering u didnt even tell us anything about it). lol

lendl lives
08-26-2004, 02:55 PM
also experiment with raquets, for me some are more suitable for a one hander: (tour 90 w/lead tape and 3 and 9)

perfmode
08-26-2004, 03:02 PM
my hps is fine and my 1hbh has good mechanics. I just can't get used to using it because my coach always used to stop me from trying them. It's burned into my brain now that when I'm using a 1HBH, I'm not being serious. You know what I mean?

finchy
08-26-2004, 03:07 PM
yea... thats not good that ur coach isnt letting you do what u want to do. tell him u just want to experiment with it.

is your 1 hander better than ur 2 hander? if you want to use it more, its gonna have to be better and ur coach has to know that.

fastdunn
08-26-2004, 05:34 PM
IMHO, you should develop a "safe-mode" 1hbh(top spin, I assume).
For example, you can develop a extreme top spin 1hbh
with little to marginal pace. My bottom line 1hbh is this and I selectively
take more risks in a match. And my 1hbh is getting more
and more match tough....

Good luck, we all need it, especially for 1h top spin bh...

Power Game
08-26-2004, 06:34 PM
Learn how to lose matches with your one-hander. That will bring confidence as you start making less and less errors on that side.
I had a pretty good 1hander but recently switched to a 2hander. During practices and matches, i forced myself to hit with 2 hands. And I lost alot of practice sets and matches with it. Now i'm not afriad when a ball comes to my backhand, and I don't run around it as much.
Just curious, why are you switching to a 1hander?

ericwong
08-26-2004, 09:33 PM
you have to remember the amount of spin/power after you hit that backhand shot. You might also try to remember where/when in the court to hit that shot that generates that kind of return. Also,
you would like to remember the bounce of the ball that allows you to hit that shot you want. All in all, hit as many 1BH as possible to gather that amount of experience when you face with that bounce. Practice -> Experience -> Confidence

perfmode
08-26-2004, 09:53 PM
Learn how to lose matches with your one-hander. That will bring confidence as you start making less and less errors on that side.
I had a pretty good 1hander but recently switched to a 2hander. During practices and matches, i forced myself to hit with 2 hands. And I lost alot of practice sets and matches with it. Now i'm not afriad when a ball comes to my backhand, and I don't run around it as much.
Just curious, why are you switching to a 1hander?

Ever since I started, a 2H has felt choked up and the motion just never feels right no matter how much I try. I started the 2H a little while ago and it just felt so natural.

finchy, I am no longer with that coach. He is the coach that started me off and taught me most of what I know today. He has coached and reared over 20 touring ITF juniors so I took him very seriously when I was under his tutelage. He used to always reprimand me for using 1HbHs because that's just not how we were taught to play. The 2hbh just doesn't feel right though and my shots are a lot less heavy with that stroke. With a one hander, my backhand can be just as dangerous as my forehand.

perfmode
08-26-2004, 09:55 PM
Practice -> Experience -> Confidence

thnx, i'll remember that.

lendl lives
08-27-2004, 09:17 AM
ok, i've been using a one hander as a handicap and i like it. i'm having trouble returning serve from the duece court (i can slice it fine but driving is awkward for me. the night before driving from the ad side was not an issue) any suggestions. (footwork? raquet take back?)

kreative
08-27-2004, 11:47 AM
take the racquet back early, short stroke, follow through.

as for the original poster, it was mentioned earlier, but just learn to lose matches w/ your backhand. as you get more comfortable using it under pressure situations, it will start to become more comfortable. when the ball comes to that side, just bite the bullet, and concentrate on hitting the ball, not on what the outcome could be (error, weak, etc).