PDA

View Full Version : Using Wagner shot against dinkers

Skinny Dip
08-26-2004, 12:46 PM
I had some good results against one of my regular dinker partners using the Wagner method. I used a much smaller take back of the raquet, shadowing the incoming ball, going up to meet the ball and then accelerating through the shot.

This partner often starts with a medium dink and then takes as much as possible off it as the set continues to have the pleasure of watching me hit the ball in the net, wide, long etc. My frustration leads to more impatience etc. etc.

With the above shot though, I was able to consistantly and safely return his shots with more pace than they were hit to me and actually had the pleasure of watching him implode for once.

Also with this shot it's easy to disguise your direction, having your opponent scramble while you're at the net for the put away. I don't know if it was beginners luck, but I had more success against slooow balls than ever just trying this shot the last few times out.

Who knows, maybe its the dinker killer technique for the rest of us.

kevhen
08-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Good job, see if it still works a second or third time out. I think a shorter take back is good on the those low short balls since you don't want to swing too hard and go long with a shorter court to hit into and don't have much time for a full takeback anyway.

Nice to let your opponent implode instead of being the one who always implodes. See if you can duplicate what your did next time out.

Skinny Dip
08-26-2004, 01:12 PM
Yes, you're basically just bringing the raquet slowly to the ball and accelerate once the ball is on the strings. In addition to being a safer contact shot, it seems to give you nice sharp angles and the ability to change the direction of your shot at the last second after your opponent commits.

Of course next time out its guaranteed not to work as well. :roll: