PDA

View Full Version : Lead Tapes are fatal

ibemadskillzz
08-26-2004, 01:09 PM
I bought a package of Lead Tape. This is what it said. "Warning: this product contains lead chemical known to state of CAlifornia to cause caner and birth defects(or other reproductive harm). Recommend you use gloves." What should I do? This is scary.

perfmode
08-26-2004, 03:05 PM
Whatever you do, don't lick it.

Power Game
08-26-2004, 04:40 PM
I've seen some pro's on TV bite thier racquets when they get upset.. wonder if they got some lead tape in their mouths.

But seriously lead causes cancer and birth defects if taken in. Don't worry about it, just don't leave it around little kids. Also if you are really paranoid use gloves then cover the lead tape with some other tape (electric for example).

K!ck5w3rvE
08-26-2004, 11:32 PM
Or use Babolat Lead Tape which has some sort of coating on it.

Virgilio
08-27-2004, 01:04 AM
some years ago in Italy dentists used lead instead of composite for teeth...then it came out that they substituted it because it could be dangerous. Never heard of someone having problems yet, but I believe that handling lead won't affect you as long as you don't put your fingers into your mouth continuosly. I would say that you shouldn't worry too much. Even cigarettes' pack tell that they are lethal. Smoking one or two or a pack won't affect you, smoking everyday could, so just don't abuse with lead.

P.S. What about fisherman then?!?

Chanchai
08-27-2004, 03:02 AM
Basically... don't lick it, don't put the tape in your mouth, and don't leave the racquet and/or leadtape in a tub of boiling water. ;)

-Chanchai

pchoi04
09-03-2004, 08:09 PM
Is it a good idea to wash your hands after touching it?

Dopke
09-03-2004, 09:39 PM
If you have the coated Babolat tape, washing hands shouldn't be neccesary, but washing hands never hurt.

James Brown
09-04-2004, 07:27 PM
babolat tape smells nice

Dopke
09-05-2004, 09:52 PM
Um... I'm not sure what you smell in it. It doesn't smell like much. -.- I just too a big whiff of it :P

jayserinos99
09-05-2004, 10:57 PM
i don't think lead tape is supposed to smell....

chipsdw
09-06-2004, 08:00 AM
Is it a good idea to wash your hands after touching it?

Well, it could only help.

Ace
09-07-2004, 08:59 AM
and for god's sake, do NOT take the plastic bag that you got from the store to carry out your lead tape and put it over your head!!!!

WYK
09-10-2004, 10:25 PM
I visited California for a short while last winter. The state of California requires all sorts of warning signs to be posted everywhere. It's as if the state assumes their citizens are completely brain-dead. I saw warning signs in every establishment and on virtually every item for sale. So, get used to it if you live there.

As for the lead, it's common knowledge you shouldn't expose yourself to any more lead than is necessary. What amount is 'necessary' is up to you. As for me, with all the machineguns I own, I have been exposed to far more lead than Babolat could ever muster, and I can still play 5 sets of tennis and do a long tax form without a break.

WYK

PrestigeClassic
09-15-2004, 04:24 PM
Man this discussion made me want to search on the Web for the bad points of lead. What I found was quite disheartening. I'm going to stop eating paint sticks that have been dipped in paint because they look like candy bars. Honestly it looks cool when there are different colors of paint present like a swirl. I need to do more activities where I use my brain more. This is scary stuff!

Goran
10-09-2004, 08:09 AM
"The state of California requires all sorts of warning signs to be posted everywhere. It's as if the state assumes their citizens are completely brain-dead."

If you really have been to California, you should know that the state is correct in its assumptions.