PDA

View Full Version : coach or ball feeder

letitrip
08-26-2004, 04:06 PM
recently i have discovered for the past 3 years i have been using the wrong grip on my double handed backhand.
my right hand has been turned round like a single handed backhand grip instead of using an eastern forehand or a continental. Probably due to the fact i started out my tennis with a single hander, and the coach i am with now told me to have to hands on the racquet.

Anyway due to my recent discovery i am a bit annoyed with my coach as he didnt correct this easy technical fault.
i play at county level at u14 and this has mesed up my progression so much.
He always told me my backhand was a solid shot but he didnt realise i was playing it the wrong way.
i feel like a different player now and the court seems so much smaller.
i like my coach and we have a good friendship but should i ditch him for this kind of error.

skuludo
08-27-2004, 01:39 AM
I don't think thats a wrong grip. Some people use it. I think there are pros that use that grip type of "wrong grip" you described; however, I can't name a single pro that uses that grip. Therefore, I can't backup my statement.

Mahboob Khan
08-27-2004, 07:55 PM
You said that your right hand has been turned around in a single-handed BH grip (eastern BH grip) and according to you eastern FH grip for the right hand is correct. Well, your statement seems to be little off the mark!

There are two popular 2-handed BH grips:

-- Right hand in a continental grip, left hand in an eastern FH grip;

-- Right hand in an eastern BH grip, left hand in an eastern FH grip;

There are some players who may use two forehand grips but that's incorrect combinations.

If your right hand is in an eastern BH grip (1-handed BH grip), and the left hand is in a forehand grip, you are OK. Make sure that your right hand should not be in an extreme BH grip. What is extreme backhand grip? The base knuckle of the index finger is on panel number 8 (this is also called the "wrist behind handle grip").

Now what is eastern backhand grip?

The base knuckle of the index finger should be on panel number 1 (the top panel).

What is continental grip?

The base knuckle of the index finger is on panel number 2 or upper part of panel number 2.

Pete Sampras did not have a strong Eastern BH grip for his 1-hander BH. Why? Because at the age of 16, his coach changed him from 2-handed BH to 1-handed BH but forgot to adjust his grip for the new stroke i.e. full eastern backhand grip. I always felt that his grip for 1-handed BH was more of a fist -- a version of a continental -- rather a full eastern BH, and that explains his relatively weak backhand!

dminh01
08-27-2004, 09:15 PM
I think the way you hold the grip is not that importance as long as you can hit the ball solid as your coach say.I agree if you hold a right grip from begining that is much better but if you hold a wrong grip for so long time and you got solid stroke that is maybe the natural way for you.I played for very long time and I found out that the best way to play tennis is to follow your natural way.Just keep in mind the "core" of the technique and you will find.What I mean for intance is in the forehand just try to hit from low to high,follow through the ball and move in the right position and you do not have to care about your finish or take back.Just my 2 cents

gmlasam
08-28-2004, 05:06 AM
I think the way you hold the grip is not that importance as long as you can hit the ball solid as your coach say.I agree if you hold a right grip from begining that is much better but if you hold a wrong grip for so long time and you got solid stroke that is maybe the natural way for you.I played for very long time and I found out that the best way to play tennis is to follow your natural way.Just keep in mind the "core" of the technique and you will find.What I mean for intance is in the forehand just try to hit from low to high,follow through the ball and move in the right position and you do not have to care about your finish or take back.Just my 2 centsBut, using "bad grips" can lead to bad stroke mechanics and technique that can hinder your playing in the long run, and perhaps increase the chance of injury down the road.