PDA

View Full Version : Wide/slice serve to forehand from deuce court

tennisplayer
08-26-2004, 05:37 PM
It seems that when going for this serve, one should go for it with everything one has. If I compromise on speed, or don't get it out wide enough because I was too conservative, my opponents normally smack it back hard. I'm finding that I'd rather fault on the wide serve than make it easy, because my second serve is usually very defensive and I can almost always handle the return. Any thoughts or comments?

finchy
08-26-2004, 07:14 PM
dont always hit it wide/to forehand. mix your placement up. serve it into the body and jam them. hit it to their backhand and jam them. you have options. use them.

tennisplayer
08-26-2004, 08:39 PM
You are right, of course. What I meant was that for this particular serve, one might as well go for broke since letting up even a little seems to result in a nice, easy serve right in the forehand power zone. For example, being conservative with a kick serve to the backhand doesn't result in disaster, usually.

kevhen
08-30-2004, 09:18 AM
Yes, my slow slice out wide isn't much of a weapon so most everyone can run it down and then have huge offensive angles to return it back, so I went to a much harder slice (high ball toss, straighter arm) that goes into the body instead.

ma2t
08-30-2004, 09:38 PM
It seems that when going for this serve, one should go for it with everything one has. If I compromise on speed, or don't get it out wide enough because I was too conservative, my opponents normally smack it back hard. I'm finding that I'd rather fault on the wide serve than make it easy, because my second serve is usually very defensive and I can almost always handle the return. Any thoughts or comments?

Serving out wide definitely is taking a chance with the angles it opens up for your opponent. I think if you can keep it low a skidding away, it will be difficult even if you don't hit it 100 mph.