PDA

View Full Version : Gonzo's forehand, or Federer's forehand?

tennisfreak
01-24-2007, 12:53 PM
I know. I know. Federer has a great forehand. Best in the game. Blah blah blah. But has anyone taken a close look at Gonzo's forehand? It is simply massive.

I contend that Gonzo has a better forehand, but Federer has a more polished and well rounded game.

ShcMad
01-24-2007, 12:59 PM
Gonzalez needs more preparation time in order to hit the massive forehand. His longer swing rarely allows him to take the ball early in the bounce. So, this is clearly a disadvantage on faster courts.

I think Federer's forehand is more efficient because he needs less preparation time due to the shorter takeback. He can take the ball very early, and doesn't swing huge like a monkey; therefore, there's less things to go wrong.

eunjam
01-24-2007, 01:02 PM
federer's. cause last time i checked, gonzo still has 0 grand slams.

when gonzo gets 6 within 2 years......let me revisit.

tennisfreak
01-24-2007, 01:05 PM
federer's. cause last time i checked, gonzo still has 0 grand slams.

when gonzo gets 6 within 2 years......let me revisit.

Number of grand slams is irrelevant. That is kind of like saying you would take Agassi's volley over Henman's volley because Agassi has eight grand slams over Henman.

tennis_nerd22
01-24-2007, 01:07 PM
seeing how much gonzo has improved, i'd like to LEARN his forehand, not TAKE IT from him :D lol

psamp14
01-24-2007, 01:10 PM
i dont mean to be rude, but gonzo reaches 1 grand slam semifinal and all of a sudden threads about gonzo winning the AO, having a better forehand, etc, pop up

federer's forehand is more versatile....he can make it kick, put "side-spin" on it, or just straight unleash a monster flat forehand for a winner on anyone, at anytime

how many times have i seen federer hit a forehand where his opponent seems to be "lifted" off the ground while returning it?

gonzo sure has a lethal forehand, but federer's forehand is by far supreme

DarkSephiroth
01-24-2007, 01:12 PM
I think Federer's forehand is the better shot because he controls points with it. Gonzo kinda stays in the point until unleashing a massive winner, but the % of that probably doesn't match up with Federer's.

capriatifanatic
01-24-2007, 01:14 PM
Federer. You cant judge a players level just on 2 matches which anybody who would even think of voting for Gonzalez is obviously doing.

idiotboy
01-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Gonzo's forehand is so excitiing to watch. You watch his matches just waiting for him to tee-off - then boom! Exhileration then Relief. Its like a drug.

tennisfreak
If you watch gonzo matches, his forehand is more versatile than you would think, given its monstrosity. Short angles, deep penetrating drives, loopy changeups, and a vicious runner, are all part of Gonzo's forehand arsenal. Granted, his forehand is probably not as diverse as Federer's, but it's gotten pretty damn close. As for the sheer unrelenting power of the shot, it is gonzo hands down.

The rest of gonzo's game, compared to Federer's, is admittedly lacking. (Except for maybe the serve.)

BigServer1
Number of grand slams is irrelevant. That is kind of like saying you would take Agassi's volley over Henman's volley because Agassi has eight grand slams over Henman.

Very good point. Gonzo's is bigger, Federer's is more versatile and I'd take either one.

tennisfreak
01-24-2007, 01:17 PM
Gonzo's forehand is so excitiing to watch. You watch his matches just waiting for him to tee-off - then boom! Exhileration then Relief. Its like a drug.

It is the closest thing you can get to an orgasm in tennis. (Other than watching Kournikova.)

tennis_nerd22
01-24-2007, 01:19 PM
i dont mean to be rude, but gonzo reaches 1 grand slam semifinal and all of a sudden threads about gonzo winning the AO, having a better forehand, etc, pop up

i dont think its only that. if you know his history, he has improved A LOT since before, listening to the commentary of the match between him and nadal. he has changed a lot and become a much better player, and when that happens, its bound to generate lots of hype and appreciation. the question is how long does it last?

capriatifanatic
01-24-2007, 01:19 PM
Federer can hit his forehand just as hard as Gonzalez when he wants too IMO. If they play in the final you will see this. As for versatility, placement, direction, angles, feel, consistency, off the forehand it is not even close. Gonzalez would not have last the lost 2 sets of their last match 6-1, 6-0 if he was way more overpowering off their mutual best shot. A thread like this is a knee jerk reaction from a couple hot matches. So typical.

Grimjack
01-24-2007, 01:35 PM
There is a question mark, but there isn't a clear question. What are you looking for? Which is better? Fed's, obviously. The mention of the slams above was valid, and the Agassi-Henman counter-attempt was crap. Fed has won a housefull of slams primarily because of his FH. So of course it's better than a guy's who has done very little professionally.

Or are you asking which we would rather have? Personally, I'd rather have Gonzo's. I have no professional aspirations, and if I could play at the pro level, I don't think I'd want to. But at the recreational level, it would be much more fun to just tee off on every ball and scare the crap out of everybody you play.

tennisfreak
01-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Federer can hit his forehand just as hard as Gonzalez when he wants too IMO. If they play in the final you will see this. As for versatility, placement, direction, angles, feel, consistency, off the forehand it is not even close. Gonzalez would not have last the lost 2 sets of their last match 6-1, 6-0 if he was way more overpowering off their mutual best shot. A thread like this is a knee jerk reaction from a couple hot matches. So typical.

Knee jerk reaction or not, I have never been in awe of a shot as I have of the gonzo forehand. Early in gonzo's career, his forehand had no change of pace. It was like a gun with one bullet, he'll either knock you down with it, or if he missed, it would result in his demise. Now, his forehand is a trump card. Opponents fear it. They avoid it. Because he no longer makes mistakes with it. He has discovered the true potential of the massive forehand. His timing is now impeccable. Gonzo will lull you to sleep with backhand slices, then, when the moment is right, run around the shot and unleash that forehand. And it works, because he has built up the point to its final, inevitable release. Idiotboy said it best. It is like a drug.

The Gorilla
01-24-2007, 01:37 PM

he wasn't playing as well as he is now, and...

federer was playing the most unbelievable tennis he has ever played, it was in basle and you and evryone should really look it up on youtube because it was just incredible, he was ripping winners from all over the place.I have personally never seen such incredible tennis in all my life...

until I saw gonzo defeat hewitt.

tennisfreak
01-24-2007, 01:38 PM
There is a question mark, but there isn't a clear question. What are you looking for? Which is better? Fed's, obviously. The mention of the slams above was valid, and the Agassi-Henman counter-attempt was crap. Fed has won a housefull of slams primarily because of his FH. So of course it's better than a guy's who has done very little professionally.

Or are you asking which we would rather have? Personally, I'd rather have Gonzo's. I have no professional aspirations, and if I could play at the pro level, I don't think I'd want to. But at the recreational level, it would be much more fun to just tee off on every ball and scare the crap out of everybody you play.

I ask you to choose a forehand. The criteria is up to you.

I agree with you about the part where you'd just want to scare the crap out of everyone, though. :)

EricW
01-24-2007, 04:33 PM
As for the biggest forehand.. Luke Jensen said Gonzo's was bigger than Fed's and the closest to Gonzo's power was Monfils

Sagittar
01-24-2007, 04:36 PM
gonzo's is more peentrating and powerful yet federer's is more consistent ..

EricW
01-24-2007, 04:39 PM

"and if I could play at the pro level, I don't think I'd want to."

LOL

"So of course it's better than a guy's who has done very little professionally."

He's top 10 and he's in the semi finals of a grand slam, and he's only done "very little professionally?" Give him a break!

ChiefAce
01-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Fed has the better forehand technically, the main reason being that Gonzo brings the racket up too high on during the backswing. IMO his super high take back hurts him when a guy robs him of time or has him on the run with it. That IMO makes Feds better.

tricky
01-24-2007, 04:44 PM
Grimjack's just doing his impression of Jim Rome. Ain't no thing. :)

I'd gladly take Federer's forehand. If I want raw power, I'd just use Federer's forehand with a heavier racquet. All things similar, I'd always take the flatter swing stroke over the round because it would let me return balls on the rise, which I can't do as effectively with a Gonzo FH.

Better comparison to me would be Fed's forehand vs. Sampras's running FH. Cos that FH is truly the devil in terms of pace.

DarkSlayerX
01-24-2007, 04:46 PM
Federer's forehand is so good that he makes it look easy and his form for his forehand is very "classy" looking :)

NamRanger
01-24-2007, 05:46 PM
As for the biggest forehand.. Luke Jensen said Gonzo's was bigger than Fed's and the closest to Gonzo's power was Monfils

I'd say Berdych is the closest to Gonzos. When he rips a forehand it sounds like a cannon has gone off.

drakulie
01-24-2007, 05:47 PM
Like I said in another thread.... Gonzo winning a couple of matches at the AO this year hardly eqautes to him having a better forehand than FED.

idiotboy
01-24-2007, 05:59 PM
So Gonzo often hits that big forehand toward the sidelines for a winner or somesuch. Sometimes though - he goes straight down the middle - and even then it is difficult to return.

I seem to recall him hitting one right at Nadal and it looked like Nadal was trying to get out of the way - all he could do was get a racket on it to return.

Tennis_Gnat
01-24-2007, 06:09 PM
Like I said in another thread.... Gonzo winning a couple of matches at the AO this year hardly eqautes to him having a better forehand than FED.

No, it doesn't. But matches don't matter. What matters is the style in which it's done. I don't think he has a better forehand. However, it's probably equivalent in its own way. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. I would say that Gonzalez's has more pace consistently. I would say that Federer's is more versatile.

drakulie
01-24-2007, 06:29 PM
I would say that Gonzalez's has more pace consistently.

As a result it also goes out more.

I would say that Federer's is more versatile.

True.

Tennis_Gnat
01-24-2007, 06:30 PM
As a result it also goes out more.

True.

Yeah. It goes out more. BUT he's had ridiculous winners to errors stats this week. So he's getting it in the court more than he used to. Still probably more errors than Fed's though.

idiotboy
01-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Would it be true to say that the first serve is the most powerful shot for any player?

I wonder how the speed of Gonzo's forehand compares to his/others first serve speed. Could Gonzo's forehand be likened to an extra serve that he can use at any time?

drakulie
01-24-2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah. It goes out more. BUT he's had ridiculous winners to errors stats this week. So he's getting it in the court more than he used to. Still probably more errors than Fed's though.

Ten, I whole heartedly agree with you. watching him during this years AO as been amazing. And yes, his winners to UE ratio has been nothing but scary.

Zets147
01-24-2007, 06:37 PM

federer's forehand is more versatile....he can make it kick, put "side-spin" on it, or just straight unleash a monster flat forehand for a winner on anyone, at anytime

how many times have i seen federer hit a forehand where his opponent seems to be "lifted" off the ground while returning it?

gonzo sure has a lethal forehand, but federer's forehand is by far supreme

Lol, it's because Fed vs Nadal all the time is boring. The board members need some more excitement in their life.

psamp14
01-24-2007, 06:39 PM
yeah maybe, i guess so...since roddick's forehand has been talked up...

DashaandSafin
01-24-2007, 06:41 PM
*Sigh*
Federer's forehand is more versatile, he can put any spin on the ball, hit off the laces, tee up, or just unleash.

Gonzo can just...waste the ball with a massive takeback stroke.

Gonzo has more power for sure, but Federer's forehand is still better.

Tennis_Gnat
01-24-2007, 06:43 PM
They're different forehands. They work differently in matches. How can we truly compare them?

The Gorilla
01-24-2007, 06:52 PM
They're different forehands. They work differently in matches. How can we truly compare them?

gonzales hits more winners and makes less mistakes with his so...

justineheninhoogenbandfan
01-24-2007, 06:56 PM
I dont think Gonzalez hits more forehand winners in his matches then Federer does. Look at their past matches between them, Gonzalez did not have more forehand winners in those matches. Federer when he plays Roddick almost always has atleast double, and often triple the forehand winners, and Roddick is also supposed to have one of the best forehands.

The Gorilla
01-24-2007, 07:12 PM
I dont think Gonzalez hits more forehand winners in his matches then Federer does. Look at their past matches between them, Gonzalez did not have more forehand winners in those matches. Federer when he plays Roddick almost always has atleast double, and often triple the forehand winners, and Roddick is also supposed to have one of the best forehands.

yeah but the 'new' Gonzales:

gonzales v nadal= 41 winners-16 unforced errors
gonzales v blake=winners 52-24 unforced errors
gonzales v hewitt=winners 66-15 unforced errors

average of (41-16)+(52-24)+(66-15)=32 points won a match[winnners-unforced errors]

federer v robredo=winners 42-31 unforced errors
federer v djokavic=winners 51-26 unforced errors
federer v youzhny=winners 40-33 unforced errors

average of (42-31)+(51-26)+(40-33)=14 points actively won a match[winners-unforced errors]

Zeph
01-24-2007, 07:26 PM
Aww man, accidentally picked gonzo,

Federer has undoubtedly the best forehand the game has ever seen. His spins and power combined with grace and control is unmatched. Gonzo has relentless power that is now controlled which is very good. His forehand is one to be marveled but Federer's is just legendary.