PDA

View Full Version : I keep messing up service returns!!

zesty-man
08-26-2004, 06:58 PM
Hi, i need some help with service returns. For me, it seems like this is the hardest part of the game for me. i cant seem to get the ball in the court when someone is serving at me. my coach tells me to use the power of the service to get it back, but whenever i try, it seems to go in the net. most of the time, when i try to hit it back hard, it flies out. worst of all, i see guys returning serves like nothing, while theres me struggling to get one over the net. i dont really know what to do anymore..........

one thought is that maybe my footwork is horrible. but then again, i dont really have too much time for footwork on a first service. anyone have any suggestions to what i can try?

Agent Smith
08-27-2004, 05:59 AM
First just concentrate on making contact (i.e. look at/focus on the ball). Then after that you can control your racket angle and add power or w/e..

andreh
08-27-2004, 09:34 AM
You should provide more information. Is it the the forehand or backhand side? Is it flat boomers or spin serves your having trouble with? Is the server coming up to the net or does he stay back? All these factors warrent different types of returns.

Are you split-stepping when the server strikes the ball? This helps timing the return.

perfmode
08-27-2004, 09:43 AM
i dont really have too much time for footwork on a first service.

You need to find time for footwork because without it, you'll never hit it properly. You need to minimize steps and make sure you use the split step to have a faster reaction time.

kreative
08-27-2004, 12:56 PM
try and anticipate where the serve will go, and split step so you aren't flat footed. compact backswing, and follow through.

mucat
08-27-2004, 10:54 PM
Try short or no back swing at all, hit the ball flat, it is more like a punch than swing, hit through the ball, sort of feel like guiding the ball. Also, focus early, I focus at the ball from the toss. Sometimes, it will take a few games to get a good read on your opponents serve, so be patient. Never hit it hard on fast serve.

zesty-man
08-28-2004, 03:03 AM
hmmm, ok thanks for the advice guys. heres what i gathered today from practice....... my service returns are really horrible, pretty much on any serve. for some odd reason, my backhand returns are a lot better, and more consistant, than me forehands. i think i may be taking too much of a back swing, but also it has to be that im flat footed. this guy served practically i dinker with minimal spin, and i guess i got to it a bit late, and it went straight into the top of the net. perhaps i tried to hit too hard or something.

ill try that split steping thing, sounds like a really great idea. also, should i be returning serves with a closed or open stance? i figure, if the serve comes fast, i wont have time for a close stance. comments?

thanks

buddha
08-28-2004, 06:55 PM
hmmm, ok thanks for the advice guys. heres what i gathered today from practice....... my service returns are really horrible, pretty much on any serve. for some odd reason, my backhand returns are a lot better, and more consistant, than me forehands. i think i may be taking too much of a back swing, but also it has to be that im flat footed. this guy served practically i dinker with minimal spin, and i guess i got to it a bit late, and it went straight into the top of the net. perhaps i tried to hit too hard or something.

ill try that split steping thing, sounds like a really great idea. also, should i be returning serves with a closed or open stance? i figure, if the serve comes fast, i wont have time for a close stance. comments?

if you have a subscription go to TENNISONE.com
study the qt photos/action of Agassi. his service returns are some of the best. IMO

notice that the shoulder turns and the backswing is done. automatic.

i gotta go at this moment. sorry.

good luck

thanks