PDA

View Full Version : Improving consistency

hermz
08-27-2004, 01:34 AM
Can anyone tell me how can i inporve on my consistency ? Any tips or drills to help me ?
Thanks in advance .
Cheers ! :D

hermz
08-27-2004, 06:26 AM
*improve

polakosaur
08-27-2004, 07:58 AM
correct technique

Kid A
08-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Definatly technique, but make sure espically during practices that you aren't trying to knock the crap out of the ball. When I first started taking private lessons I had alot of problems with consistancy on my forehand groundies. My coach told me to take some pace off and hit with a pace that I could get a MIN of 10 balls in a row, in play, and with decent depth nearly every time. Then once I got good at that I'd go for a little more pace and improve in steps.

pchoi04
08-29-2004, 02:36 AM
Well... Consistency is all about the number... Don't go for the power/flat shots right away... Start off with hitting more top spin... also called neutral shots... not really aggresive but not to passive either... Putting more top on the ball will give more clearance over the net... and once you get confident enough in a rally then you can start putting pressure on your opponent. Something I practice is "exagerated top spin" where you put so much top on the ball that it can go over like a volleyball net or something. To get more top basically just drop the racquet and brush up more... Also don't forget about foot work... Foot maybe even MORE important than technique... Theres alot of players out there that are bad but can get by because they move there feet well and stay on there toes... but obviously its better to have both.

mucat
08-29-2004, 02:57 AM
pchoi04, I found a flat shot can be as consistent if just concentrate on hitting deep, doesn't have to be powerful, it is a less demanding shot than topspin, since no need to use energy to spin the ball and it is quite accurate. But no doubt a topspin has more net clearance.

pchoi04
08-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Maybe its just me... but when I hit my flatter forehands I dont get enough net clearance and to me that is why it becomes a risky shot. I could still hit a good flat forehand over the net about a centimeter and still hit the baseline. I think its the same with the serve first and second... Most people go for the flat with more pop serve on the first and then go for the kick serve on the second which can be played aggresively, which dips over the net for more clearance...

And to get alot of top spin you don't really have rip the ball completely just drop the racquet and use the same racquet speed you would use for any other shot...

mucat
08-29-2004, 09:59 PM
pchoi04, it is not just you, I should state more clear, I only hit it flat with ball at or above net level, low balls I will hit topspin to produce good speed. One thing though, I use to only hit topspin fh, haven't play the game for 5 years, just start playing again, suddenly, I have flat forehand.

I think to improve consistency, it could also be a mental thing. If you just keep telling yourself to hit the ball in no matter what, you will start to improve your consistency. When I practice rally with a partner, I concentrate on keeping the ball in and deep, it helps to learn how hard you can hit with all your strokes, it is much better than whacking at the ball and hope it will stay in.

papa
08-30-2004, 05:27 PM
Slow down your swing - pretend your doing everything in slow motion untill the consistency improves. I was working with a guy today on his serve and one of his major problems was that he was just going too fast. Once I was able to get him to S-L-O-W down his serve improved quite a bit - not perfect but better.

Dopke
09-06-2004, 09:19 AM
I switched from the Babolat PD+ to the PS ROK and as a result I have a flatter swing due to the way the ROK plays. With its closed string pattern, I get better depth and pace hitting a more flat stroke than trying to get spin as I did on the Babolat.

I am more consistent now than I was before with the Babolat. Flat or Spin, you can both be consistent.

But for tips, work your body into the strokes during warm-up. Like stated above, don't warmup blasting everyball, during warmup you should be focusing on getting your strokes right.

pchoi04
09-06-2004, 09:27 AM
Jesse always says to take pace off the shot so not blasting it but you should be moving your feet twice and much.