PDA

View Full Version : is $65 too much to pay for a polyester tennis shirt?

Vitaly Evchenkov
01-26-2007, 11:29 AM
It is amazing to me that Nike has made the highest priced shirts go from $45 to $65 in just a couple of years. For me, this is too much to pay for a shirt... but I was just wondering how many others are willing to fork over that much for a "Federer shirt".

forgot to add a poll option for : yes, but I only buy Sale items from Nike...

goblake14
01-26-2007, 11:34 AM
I really am not too keen on the current style, but yes, I would if an extremely stylish and functional shirt that Federer wore were to be produced by Nike. I look at it this way, if there is any chance I'm going to lose, I might as well look good doing it.

fastdunn
01-26-2007, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't be that happy paying $65 for a poly shirt.

But I picked up a Nike poly polo (that blue one Federer wore a few years
back) at $35 on sale. I felt like that was money well spend.

I don't know what they did with DryFit in that polo shirt.
It was thick but it wicked my sweat away and the shirt always
felt like cold...

oscar_2424
01-26-2007, 12:28 PM
It is amazing to me that Nike has made the highest priced shirts go from $45 to $65 in just a couple of years. For me, this is too much to pay for a shirt... but I was just wondering how many others are willing to fork over that much for a "Federer shirt".

forgot to add a poll option for : yes, but I only buy Sale items from Nike...

wait until they are on sale.

Dr. Van Nostrand
01-26-2007, 12:33 PM
I would not pay $65.00 for a shirt to play tennis in. Even if you wait until they go on sale the price will likely be $50.00-$55.00 which is still too much to spend for a shirt for tennis for me.

BabolatFan
01-26-2007, 12:38 PM
For me it's ridiculous to pay that much for a shirt to play tennis in. I wear Nike stuff but I wear solid color Nike tees that sell around $30-$35.

Tchocky
01-26-2007, 12:51 PM
It' not a "Federer" shirt. Roger does not have his own line of clothing with Nike. Yes....they use him to model new styles. I don't like the new shirt he has been wearing. I like the new, sleeveless tops Blake & nadal have been wearing with the fish scale ventilation system on the back but I refuse to wear sleeveless tops anyway. In all, all the new apparel being worn by the players down under are pretty average.

rod_b
01-26-2007, 01:29 PM
I guess if you have to have Nike, you're gonna pay the Nike price. For those who just want something that works the same for a cheaper price, go to Target and pick up the Champion brand shirt for $9. LOL!

JRstriker12
01-26-2007, 02:07 PM
I am with the Thrifty guys on this one.

Target sells some nice shirts for tennis.

For some reason, I also buy alot of addidas. I found some nice addidas shorts and shirts on sale over christmas at the mall. Didn't pay more than $10 for the shorts and $15 for the polo shirt.

I really like the nike stuff, but that $50 can go towards cout time, strings, etc. Even on sale, the nike stuff is way too expensive.

TokyopunK
01-26-2007, 02:15 PM
Heck no I would not pay $65 for a Nike Federer shirt!!!

On the other hand....... I just paid $55 each for the Nike Nadal sleeveless top and camo capris!!!!!

psamp14
01-26-2007, 02:18 PM
i wouldnt pay $65 for a shirt either.......even if its as nice as some of the ones nike makes

thats why i wait till they come on sale....$30-35 tops

goober
01-26-2007, 09:29 PM
I would not pay $65.00 for a shirt to play tennis in. Even if you wait until they go on sale the price will likely be $50.00-$55.00 which is still too much to spend for a shirt for tennis for me.

Go to the Nike Outlets and also places like Marshalls. I have 4 nike polos average price $15-19. I have a bunch of Nike crews that were around $8-15

wildmoose31
01-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Of all the nike clothes ive bought of the past 2/3 years (and its a lot), this is by far my favorite feeling fabric and probably close to my favorite design. I have all 3 of the Control Crew and Control polos, and the black/olive crew, and blue/red and blue/light blue polo are just great.

Though I wear nike tennis clothing whether im playing tennis or not, so its not just clothes I buy for tennis

Sagittar
01-26-2007, 10:59 PM
in a word , NO
i don't even like his new shirt , looks way too retro

zapvor
01-27-2007, 05:35 PM

On the other hand....... I just paid $55 each for the Nike Nadal sleeveless top and camo capris!!!!!

LOL how do the camo capris look?

Voltron
01-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Only if they come with a $50 bill attached.

ShooterMcMarco
01-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Only if they come with a $50 bill attached.

Yeah, either that or a mail in rebate

goober
01-28-2007, 06:48 AM
I was at a Nike outlet this weekend and they were selling sphere react polos in 2 different colors for $17.99.

slice bh compliment
01-28-2007, 07:26 AM
in a word , NO
i don't even like his new shirt , looks way too retro

Hhahaha, too retro! I've never heard that.

I say it is not retro enough. It's too late seventies.

I'm for bringin' back the solid colored, pointy-collared shirts of the early seventies. Very light cotton. Fred Perry. Lacoste. That style, but with modern cuts, modern fabrics and honest pricing. Light royal blue, yellow, navy, medium green. White for the hottest days in Florida or the desert. Subtle striping, if any. Think Nastase and Ashe, Forest Hills final, 1972.

Well, anything but the vomit print shirts of the early 90s.

Back on topic. No. Nike is the man. The man is out to get us all. Everyone. Even his own family. Like Kaiser Soze, only with PhD's in Marketing and Economics.

slice bh compliment
01-28-2007, 07:28 AM
I was at a Nike outlet this weekend and they were selling sphere react polos in 2 different colors for $17.99.

Lemme guess: from two years ago....and only in size medium and XXXL?;-)

goober
01-28-2007, 07:49 AM
Lemme guess: from two years ago....and only in size medium and XXXL?;-)
I am pretty sure the Sphere reacts just came out as a model line just last year. They actually had all sizes between S-XXL. I have found the Nike Outlets are much better than adidas and reebok outlets in terms of good deals for clothing- well at least in my area.

Tennis clothes IMO are not like regular clothes in terms of fashion. There are very few people I play with who are aware of what is the latest and what is from last year or even 2-3 years ago. So to me wearing something 2-3 years old is really not a big deal.

Kabob190
01-28-2007, 08:41 AM
i found poly shirts for $7 at marshalls or ross

slice bh compliment
01-28-2007, 09:34 AM
I am pretty sure the Sphere reacts just came out as a model line just last year. They actually had all sizes between S-XXL. I have found the Nike Outlets are much better than adidas and reebok outlets in terms of good deals for clothing- well at least in my area.

Tennis clothes IMO are not like regular clothes in terms of fashion. There are very few people I play with who are aware of what is the latest and what is from last year or even 2-3 years ago. So to me wearing something 2-3 years old is really not a big deal.

Impressive selection. But I still stand by the notion that Nike's the Man.

Didn't mean to come off as someone who needs the current stuff. Half my stuff is from 2 years ago. I even have a few collared tennis shirts and tees from the late 90s. The shorts are all from this half of this decade, though.;)

slice bh compliment
01-28-2007, 09:36 AM
i found poly shirts for $7 at marshalls or ross

Any good? Tees or collared? Not that that matters much anymore. Most clubs do not care.

KFwinds
01-28-2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah, $65 is WAY too much for a shirt, especially when you can get the same quality for half that or less (Adidas). I have a few Nike shirts and shorts too, but I got them either on clearance or e b a y.

wildmoose31
01-28-2007, 03:06 PM
Yeah, $65 is WAY too much for a shirt, especially when you can get the same quality for half that or less (Adidas). I have a few Nike shirts and shorts too, but I got them either on clearance or e b a y.

please, what adidas polos are the same quality for 32.50?

bagung
01-28-2007, 07:22 PM
i prefer cotton.......... lacoste
in fibre price, polyester always cheaper than cotton..
so, i don't think is worth to pay expensive for polyester...

M1KE
01-28-2007, 08:15 PM
I just wear a simple cotton t-shirt like I wear anywhere else. I don't see the point in buying uncomfortable polyester shirts or shirts for tennis in general. If I could afford $65 shirts, I'd much rather get 1 racquet than 3 shirts.
Also, in my experience it seems like the people that worry so much about wearing the latest clothes are trying to make up for their lack of skill.

pow
01-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Just wear a normal shirt and save the 65 towards your next racquet or something.

Vitaly Evchenkov
01-28-2007, 09:46 PM
I would not spend $65 for a shirt, but I couldn't pass up a bunch of Nike Fall closeout gear that was over 40% off and I got some discounts off of that too. It adds up quick though, plus I got a pair of Breathe 3s on sale so Nike still got a good chunk of my money.

Did I really need 3 more shirts and 1 more shorts and 1 more shoes... probably not... oops. :oops:

The bargain shopper in me couldn't pass up the savings!!!

KFwinds
01-29-2007, 10:45 AM
please, what adidas polos are the same quality for 32.50?

Take your pick - Competition, Response Court, YOC lines are all just as high quality as ANY of the Nike stuff. At sale and clearance prices they are usually around $30 or less.

Oh, and I'll save you the argument - you obviously don't agree that Adidas is the same quality as Nike. And you are wrong. I own plenty of clothes from both brands, and at full retail price Nike is a rip-off.

donut
01-29-2007, 02:15 PM
chinatown white t's 5 for 10 dollars

wildmoose31
01-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Take your pick - Competition, Response Court, YOC lines are all just as high quality as ANY of the Nike stuff. At sale and clearance prices they are usually around $30 or less.

Oh, and I'll save you the argument - you obviously don't agree that Adidas is the same quality as Nike. And you are wrong. I own plenty of clothes from both brands, and at full retail price Nike is a rip-off.

Wow, if you consider comparing adidas sale/clearance items with nike full retail you have a point. But at no point did I say that, so really, unless I wanted clearance items, its not half the price at the same quality.

nice try though

Vitaly Evchenkov
01-29-2007, 04:58 PM
ya, that's not fair to compare Adidas sale items with Nike full price stuff....

BUT..

Adidas' best new shirts usually sell for $43 compared to now $65 for Nike. Adidas new shorts cost $35 compared to $45 for Nike.

Adidas apparel also goes on sale sooner and is cheaper than Nike sale apparel. It is also easier to order Adidas online since they are not as insane about showing discounted prices online and only allowing 3 "authorized dealers" to accept online orders.

es-0
01-29-2007, 05:30 PM
the adidas polos right now are between 30$-43$ not on sale, and yeah. same quality as nike

West Coast Ace
01-29-2007, 05:43 PM
wait until they are on sale.And run the risk that you'll miss out...

On the other hand....... I just paid $55 each for the Nike Nadal sleeveless top and camo capris!!!!!Now that Nike seems to have given Fed the stuff that looks like Sampras would have worn in the 90's, me neither. More likely to go for the things Rafa, Blake, and Berdych wear - just bought the Power Body Map Crew (Sonic Yellow) at Niketown in Vegas over the weekend:

http://www.nike.com/index.jhtml#l=nikestore,grid,_pdp,cid-1/gid-122453/pid-122454,_grid,f-26024+10002&re=US&co=US&la=EN

Lemme guess: from two years ago....and only in size medium and XXXL?;-)Amen. I hit the Outlet
when I'm in Vegas but know that most the trips are in vain - XXL and damaged goods - or fugly colors.

Impressive selection. But I still stand by the notion that Nike's the Man.Nike, most of the time, has the better designs - loved the Fed shirts from last year's Wimby and USO. I think they're pressing the prices up to see if they can get away with it.

I guess the answer is it depends on your finances and how long the shirt will last for your use. The prices aren't a problem for me - and I end up not wearing them to play in - wear them around town. And get nice comments - not only do people ignore tennis in the US, they don't even notice that Nike makes cool tennis gear.

Tour 90
01-29-2007, 06:11 PM
I can't believe that so far 12 people said they would pay that much.
Unbelievable...

wildmoose31
01-29-2007, 06:31 PM
Unbelievable...

People pay 200 dollars for jeans, 150 for shirts, etc etc I dont see why this is shocking, for a great looking shirt like this that I can wear for tennis or not, Id love more colors/different designs because Id probably buy them too

grimmbomb21
01-29-2007, 06:48 PM
Unbelievable...

Why is that unbelievable? I used to play at a club that had all kinds of KIDS head to toe in Nike. There are a lot of people out there who wouldn't bat an eye at 65.00 for a shirt. Especially if their parents are paying for it.;)

As far as the Fed shirt from AO this year, I already bought it. And really like it. But I have a process I have to go through before I can start wearing it. That way my wife won't ask or find out how much I spent on it. It is my first Nike tennis shirt, so I don't think I'll do this again anytime soon. I just liked the style of this particular season.

goober
01-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Wait till you have a wife that is into designer purses, you will wish she was instead into $65 tennis shirts. :D

grimmbomb21
01-29-2007, 07:34 PM
Wait till you have a wife that is into designer purses, you will wish she was instead into $65 tennis shirts. :D

LOL. My sisters were into those for a while. I was shocked to hear about what a great deal one of them got on a purse that was 160.00 on sale!!

nyc
01-29-2007, 08:27 PM
I think it's time to boycott nike. let's put a stop to that overprized madness.

KFwinds
01-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Wow, if you consider comparing adidas sale/clearance items with nike full retail you have a point. But at no point did I say that, so really, unless I wanted clearance items, its not half the price at the same quality.

nice try though

OK, maybe I missed something, but aren't we talking about how much we are willing to spend on our shirts? And yes, last year's Adidas is the SAME quality as this season's Nike.

classic tennis
01-30-2007, 05:09 AM
It all depends if you are comfortable paying $65.00 for something that ex factories for under $4.00 & is made in sweat shops.

Dedans Penthouse
01-30-2007, 08:15 AM
Price aside, Nike's "collared" shirts imho have been lousy (drab & boring) the past couple of years. Those 'pointy' collars are really cheesy (cheap) looking, the stripe patterns are 'blah'; overall, they come across more like bowling shirts. Very pedestrian designing for the money....

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
02-03-2007, 07:31 PM
i only pay it up to 50 dollars, lol, but usually i wait for em to go on sale.

Voltron
02-03-2007, 07:43 PM
I, as Duke of TTW, hereby ban any shirt over $50, those prices are bull*****.

tennisboi
02-03-2007, 08:26 PM
too expensive.

tennisboi
02-03-2007, 08:27 PM
but i go to the employee store and get them 50% off. so it's less than $40.

Silentgunz
02-03-2007, 10:31 PM
$65 is just way to much for a shirt...

zeneil
02-04-2007, 06:10 AM
you know what, in the philippines nike shirts just usually cost from 1.2k-1.8k pesos for the new styles.. But when it goes on sale it goes down to 600-1k.. 1.2k-1.8k that's just about 20-35$.. and 600-1k thats like 12-20$... :grin:

Volkl_4_life
02-05-2007, 03:39 AM
i wouldnt pay that much for a shirt, im more of the $8 shirts from target or a tennis shirt i can find on special

nyc
02-05-2007, 09:03 AM
I just saw the Fed AO shirt in person, and whilst I like the design of it, I think the fabric just feels awful. I think it's a total ripoff for that price.
Personally, I am also not a big fan of these new synthetic fabrics that will accumulate odors over time and can't get really cleaned with today's detergents. Mybe it's just me, but I don't like the feel of them when I start to sweat.

slice bh compliment
02-05-2007, 09:12 AM
I just saw the Fed AO shirt in person, and whilst I like the design of it, I think the fabric just feels awful. I think it's a total ripoff for that price.
Personally, I am also not a big fan of these new synthetic fabrics that will accumulate odors over time and can't get really cleaned with today's detergents. Mybe it's just me, but I don't like the feel of them when I start to sweat.

Know what you mean. It is all cheap. There's good poly and there's bad poly. Nike's stuff is not the best.

For me, I still have not found a poly that tops the feel of a light cotton pique knit.

I have a lot of poly shirts and shorts. Poly is fine for days when it is so hot and you play, then go straight to the car and do errands outdoors ... ride your bike, or something. Holds up if you are sweating all day. Then you wash it quickly, not letting it sit in a hamper. Then you wash it again in cold. Then you do not dry it.

But if I am playing a match, I'd much rather pack three or four light cotton piques, then change into a nice dry shirt for the ride home.

Looking for a no-name brand of cotton shirt that matches the light, breathable feel of a good old Lacoste. I do not think that exists, but maybe someone will get close. Polo's baby pique is good. But in both cases, it is hardto justify seventy bucks for a shirt I'm going to sweat in. Better $70 for a Lacoste than $65 for a Nike, though.

jimmycoop
02-07-2007, 10:10 AM
YES! A thousand times, YES!

Henerwee
02-07-2007, 10:49 AM
Most I'd pay would be $35 and even then it better be a freakin nice shirt. I do prefer plain white t-shirts however.

Kabob190
02-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Any good? Tees or collared? Not that that matters much anymore. Most clubs do not care.

they dont have exact models. you kinda have to shop around and every once in a while you'll hit the jack pot. sometimes you wont find any thing. if you dont care about brands and stuff, though every once in a while i find nike's and under armours.

slice bh compliment
02-08-2007, 05:20 PM
Cool. Anyone know anything about a small brand called Tek Gear?

One of my old tennis buds who still plays a lot says they make a poly pique in a v-neck I would not mind trying. He bought some for ten bucks at Kohl's. Says they are better than premium brands.

I'm guessing they are comparable to C9's. You guys know?

thanu
02-11-2007, 09:11 AM
$65!?!??? Unless you need the latest shirts/shorts you don't need to pay that much. I get Nike/Adidas/Under Amour/Reebok etc for $10-$20 for shirts and shorts, just find them on sale or go to Ross/Marshalls/Nordstrom's Rack/etc and yes the clothes I buy are made for tennis. I just bought Nike's last season tennis clothes for $15 for the sleeveless (vs $45 retail), shorts for $15, etc. Yesterday I bought two pairs of underarmour shorts (the ones Gineperi wears) for 21.00 each after tax(retail is $35). Be a smart shopper! It's fun and you can buy more clothes. :-)

Thanu

thejackal
02-11-2007, 09:18 AM
i've never had trouble finding cheap shirts but shorts are another matter. kinda weird actually.