PDA

View Full Version : Jack Crowford?

prostaff18
01-26-2007, 04:24 PM
Will someone please do me the pleasure of telling me who Jack Crawford was. I know that he made 7 consecutive slam finals in, I think, 1934-1936. But how many of those did he win and what other players were his main competitors?
Thanks, Jake

Moose Malloy
01-26-2007, 04:42 PM
He won 6 majors overall, but won only 3 of the 7 finals he made from '33-'34.

The 3 that he won were actually the 1st 3 majors of 1933 before losing a chance at the Grand Slam in the final of the US Open to Fred Perry in 5 sets.

had impressive rivals-Perry, beat Ellsworth Vines in the final of 1933 Wimbledon, beat Cochet in the final of '33 French.

Won all the slams except the US Open.

prostaff18
01-26-2007, 05:11 PM
He won 6 majors overall, but won only 3 of the 7 finals he made from '33-'34.

The 3 that he won were actually the 1st 3 majors of 1933 before losing a chance at the Grand Slam in the final of the US Open to Fred Perry in 5 sets.

had impressive rivals-Perry, beat Ellsworth Vines in the final of 1933 Wimbledon, beat Cochet in the final of '33 French.

Won all the slams except the US Open.

Thanks Moose!

chaognosis
01-26-2007, 09:25 PM

Crawford's win over Vines in 1933 was considered by many to have been the best final ever played at Wimbledon. Will Grimsley still called it the "greatest Wimbledon of all" in 1971.

urban
01-27-2007, 12:46 AM
Crawford was an oldtimer in his own time. He was the last who played with a triangular racket, and with his sleeves down the wrist. Played a touch game, with a nice slice backhand, he dismantled the power of Vines in 1933. My favorite story about him: He probably lost the Grand Slam (the real GS) because of the grog. He used to refresh himself with some cognac or gin. In the Forest Hills final he lead Perry 2-1, when in sweltering heat, he nipped too much out of his refreshment. Boozed and dizzy, he lost the last sets o and 1, and the Grand Slam.But he took it with grandeur. Wasn't called Gentleman Jack for nothing. Look for his biography in
www.histoiredutennis.com

Argento full
01-27-2009, 01:16 PM
Crawford's win over Vines in 1933 was considered by many to have been the best final ever played at Wimbledon. Will Grimsley still called it the "greatest Wimbledon of all" in 1971.

How it's that?
Do you have a link to an article or something?

Kirko
01-27-2009, 02:47 PM
when I lived in statlline,nv long ago; I used to play tennis with a guy who knew him when Crawford was kinda old. my pal told me at that stage of his life he only played doubles and he always smoked cigarettes out of a cigarette holder. I think Fred Perry beat him at a wimbledon final also.

AndrewD
01-27-2009, 06:32 PM
when I lived in statlline,nv long ago; I used to play tennis with a guy who knew him when Crawford was kinda old. my pal told me at that stage of his life he only played doubles and he always smoked cigarettes out of a cigarette holder. I think Fred Perry beat him at a wimbledon final also.

Jack Crawford was a very strict non-smoker due to being asthmatic (he suffered an asthma attack in his US Open final against Perry after leading two sets to love and lost the match and chance to win the Grand Slam).

Sounds like your friend is either confusing Jack Crawford with Noel Coward, or pulling your leg.

To the OP - given that you, obviously, have access to the internet WHY DIDN'T YOU DO A NET SEARCH BEFORE POSTING HERE???????

Kirko
01-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Jack Crawford was a very strict non-smoker due to being asthmatic (he suffered an asthma attack in his US Open final against Perry after leading two sets to love and lost the match and chance to win the Grand Slam).

Sounds like your friend is either confusing Jack Crawford with Noel Coward, or pulling your leg.

To the OP - given that you, obviously, have access to the internet WHY DIDN'T YOU DO A NET SEARCH BEFORE POSTING HERE???????

well, I did a search couldn't find him being an asthmatic, did "find" he liked to drink whiskey between sets. guy I kne in Nevada played at the club he ran and thats what he told me. sorry if its wrong.

jackcrawford
01-27-2009, 08:41 PM
From Tennis: Styles and Stylists by Paul Metzler New York 1969. Crawford was 6 feet tall and weighed 180 in his prime, 210 as a veteran. He played with a continental grip like Rod Laver, hit a powerful rising ball forehand with slight topspin and a lot of wrist, sliced his backhand. He was a baseline player when most of his contemporaries were all-courters. In 1933 he won 3 of the four majors missing only what is now called the US Open, of course then it was closed to pros. Bud Collins's Total Tennis mentions that Jack Crawford was an asthmatic and makes no mention of alcohol consumption during matches, and Collins loves a good yarn if he can find an authentic one.

AndrewD
01-27-2009, 10:32 PM
well, I did a search couldn't find him being an asthmatic, did "find" he liked to drink whiskey between sets. guy I kne in Nevada played at the club he ran and thats what he told me. sorry if its wrong.

Really? I just looked at his his Wikipedia page and it mentions him being an asthmatic. I also checked his entry at the International Hall of Fame and it also mentions his asthma. Not sure where you were looking. As for liking to drink whiskey between sets, I recall he did take a few nips of brandy during the US Open final in the hopes it would help stave off the attack of asthma he was suffering (people in those days believing it brought some relief from asthma) but never heard of it being an habitual thing. Very surprising as he was an exceptionally moderate person.

What club did Jack Crawford run? I remember meeting him in Sydney, a few years before he passed away, but don't recall him running any club.

Your friend wasn't getting him confused with Jack Kramer, by any chance?

Kirko
01-27-2009, 10:57 PM
Really? I just looked at his his Wikipedia page and it mentions him being an asthmatic. I also checked his entry at the International Hall of Fame and it also mentions his asthma. Not sure where you were looking. As for liking to drink whiskey between sets, I recall he did take a few nips of brandy during the US Open final in the hopes it would help stave off the attack of asthma he was suffering (people in those days believing it brought some relief from asthma) but never heard of it being an habitual thing. Very surprising as he was an exceptionally moderate person.

What club did Jack Crawford run? I remember meeting him in Sydney, a few years before he passed away, but don't recall him running any club.

Your friend wasn't getting him confused with Jack Kramer, by any chance?

Andrew, its been something 23 yrs. ago, this was back in the late 1950's. my pal from stateline,nv was an austrian who lived there for some years. I actually brought up Crawford because of his record and he told me that, but maybe it was some other guy (bromwich) the guy who played with very small grips you know more thatn I about him so I'll stand corrected.

Kirko
01-28-2009, 05:04 PM
I was right !!!!!!!!!! he did smoke !!!!!!! or I should say my pal was.

AndrewD
01-28-2009, 05:51 PM
I was right !!!!!!!!!! he did smoke !!!!!!! or I should say my pal was.

How do you know ?

Your friend was an Austrian? I don't understand how that would help him know Jack Crawford - an Australian.

Kirko
01-28-2009, 06:10 PM
How do you know ?

Your friend was an Austrian? I don't understand how that would help him know Jack Crawford - an Australian.

Andrew I called him and after touching base and what we are doing now. I asked him thats how he remembered him the cigarette holder he said he said he never saw anyone ever smoke like that before you know old fashioned like. Andrew let me say this I'm not trying to argue or "fight", a lot of people back then smoked like today with lung problems. Pancho Gonzalez smoked also, I saw him quite a few times in the pro shop at Ceasar's Palace and on the court.