PDA

View Full Version : Arthroscopic Shoulder Surgery

Edward Clipperhands
08-27-2004, 12:30 PM
I just had my shoulder scoped and I am confined to a sling until my follow up visit next week. I was wondering if anyone had this surgery and how long was the recovery time until they were able to resume a normal range of movement? The next part of my question would be how long until they resumed playing tennis and what they did to stay in shape during rehabilitation.

Mark55
08-27-2004, 03:34 PM
I am suppose to go to the doctor next week to discuss that surgery :( because of a torn labrum in my shoulder. Can you tell me how the surgery was? I am getting pretty nervous about it!

Edward Clipperhands
08-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Well I had the surgery Wednesday morning and the pain afterward was excrutiating. My arm is in a sling. I thought I had a pretty high pain threshold but I needed the meds they gave me. I went under general anesthetic and remember getting wheeled into the OR, they asked me how I hurt my shoulder, I remember answering them, then they picked me up and placed me on the table. Then it was lights out. The procedure took about 90 minutes. I came to and like I said above the nurse called my name asked me to rate my pain on a scale of 1 to 10. I said 8 and she gave me the pain medication through the iv. Yesterday it felt like hell but today has been better. I haven't returned to work but am planning to Monday. My shoulder had been unstable and at times came out of the socket, they tightened a few things and from the photos they gave me they did something to the rotator cuff and bicep. The labrum did not need reattached to the bone which maybe what they will do in your case. If so you're confined to a shoulder immobilizer and I'm not sure of what that entails.

Mark55
08-28-2004, 04:56 AM
Thanks for the information and also you may find information about your recovery time online by doing a search for the type of surgery you had or the exact type of injury. For me I found out most of the time when you tear the labrum you will be in a sling for 1-3 weeks, in 6 weeks you can do light exercises(therapy, maybe light hitting but I dont know), and in 3-4 monthes you should be fully healed.

netman
08-29-2004, 04:29 AM
I had it a few years ago for impingement. Not quite as extensive as what you described. It has been the best of the surgical procedures I've been through. I couldn't play tennis or basketball without expriencing a lot of pain and weakness for days afterwards. The surgeon not only fixed the impingement issue, but also cleaned up a lot of scar tissue. The first few days were pretty miserable, but I followed the rehab religiously (starting 24 hours after surgery). The results were worth the effort. It was like I had a brand new shoulder. Added about 20 mph to my serve and 10 feet in additional range to my jumpshot.

What I learned. Do (don't over do) the rehab religiously. More importantly, be patient and give it plenty of time to heal. Even when you think its ready to go hard, give it a little more time. Then ease back into sports. I gave it 6 months before I returned to action. Unless you make your living playing, why rush the return and set yourself up for more problems down the road? You can use the time to improve your cardio and leg strength which will pay off when you return to tennis.

Good luck.

Edward Clipperhands
08-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the information and advice. I agree with your idea of easing back into the sports. I play icehockey and tennis and will not even think about them until the new year.

vin
09-09-2004, 07:17 AM
I had artrhoscopic shoulder surgery (torn labrum and bankhart repair) on my left shoulder in 98 and dislocated and fractured my right shoulder less than two years ago.

I wrote all the details, but lost the post. I don't want to retype all of it, but if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer to the best of my knowledge.

If your surgery was anything like mine, plan on losing A LOT of flexibility and dealing with a lot of pain and hard work to get it back. It will probably take you a month or two to get most of it back and another few months to return to a normal range of motion. Be careful returning to serving, because this will require a more than normal range of motion and may take even a few more months to obtain. In total, it can be as long as 8 - 12 months for you to regain the advanced flexibility that you probably have had as a tennis player previous to the surgery. This time could be less depending on the severity of your surgery and how soon after surgery you start therapy.

Also, the recovery time implies that you're actively stretching and strengthening. Sitting around for 8 months is obviously not going to do much.

While your shoulder is out of commission, you can use cardio machines and the leg press to retain strength and fitness in the rest of your body. I would not advise working out the healthy side of your upper body since this will worsen the imbalance that will already exist from your injured arm being inactive.

Don't let what I say get you down. It may sound like a long time, but eventually you'll be past it. Besides, your situation may be different than mine and you may recover much faster. You can also use the time off to learn about how to keep your shoulders healthy.

Say Chi Sin Lo
03-23-2006, 12:13 PM
I had mine 4-5 years ago, i was 16, it was a partial tear of the supraspinatus. They removed my bursa because it was pretty much useless based on the inflammation it sustained. Tear was repaired.

Yeah the first 3days was absolute hell. I got full range of motion back in 2months, got my strength back the month after that. And got back onto the court on the 4th month after the surgery. It did feel like a brand new shoulder. Every stroke felt foreign to it, it was almost as if i had to re-learn tennis.

It has been problem free so far AS LONG AS i do those rehab exercises designed to strengthen a repaired rotator cuff. Yes, those little external and internal rotational exercises do continue to strengthen your rotator cuff even after it's healed 100%

Andres
03-23-2006, 03:30 PM
I had a huge tear in my labrum plus a broken ligament, tendom and teared cartilage. It was meant to be a arthroscopy, but they did the usual surgery instead (u now, opening it up).

It took me a month and a half to get normal range of movement (slow) and 6 months to play tennis again.

But your surgery was pretty much less complicated than mine. You'll be playing again in 3 months, probably!

Good luck with that!!