PDA

View Full Version : Best Multi - LaserFibre Laser Supreme?

Benjamin
03-10-2004, 12:03 PM
I've thought about using a hybrid of natural gut in the crosses and poly (Luxilon BBALUP16) in the mains of my POG mid, but some have said that using natural gut in the crosses wouldn't give me much of a different feel from the racquet than I get now with my all poly job.

But I'm afraid that using natural gut in the mains wouldn't give me much durability because of the open string pattern and the huge amounts of spin I put on the ball.

Others have mentioned putting a good quality multifilament string in the crosses, saying it would give me a somewhat softer feel and I wouldn't have to pay $35 for natural gut.

When I was looking at multis in the past, several people mentioned the LaserFibre Laser Supreme 16g as one of the best.

Is this still the case?

What do you feel is the best multi on the market?

Thanks.

Benjamin

Jerry Seinfeld
03-10-2004, 02:36 PM
Ben,

The LF Supreme is a great playing multi. I personally love the string. It plays more crisply than other multis. If you are looking for a softer string that holds tension and has great durability, by all means you should try the LF Phenom 16. It's a fairly new string and it's been impressing me and my customers.

Generally I don't recommend multis in crosses with Polys. An almost certain recipe for breakage. I haven't tried the Phenom as a cross with a Poly, but since it has proven to be so durable, this might be an exception. If you try it, report back. I'd love to hear your experience.

Grimjack
03-10-2004, 04:03 PM
It's my favorite multi, but wouldn't be my first choice if I were going to use it to hybrid with a poly. It plays a bit crisper, which is to say stiffer, than a lot of multis. The whole purpose of a multi/gut cross in a hybrid is to get the softening benefits without as much risk of premature breakage, since crosses don't snap as readily as mains. By opting for the more durable but stiffer LF Supreme, I doubt you'd get much more durability that with a softer cross, and I doubt you'd get much more comfort than with a full poly job.

LF Supreme rocks on its own. Not ideal for that experiment though, IMO.

Benjamin
03-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Thanks for the honest opinions guys. Maybe I should try something a little softer than the Laser Fibre Supreme. I'll look into the Phenom or something a little less crisp than the Supreme.

Thanks again for the advice.

Benjamin