PDA

View Full Version : need help

dminh01
08-28-2004, 09:56 AM
Hi there.I am a international student who has been in USA for over 1 year.I am trying to find a hitting friend because I do not know anyone near here that can hit with me in my level.(I am about 4.5).My question is how do you guys find a partner to play with.Can I find a tennis friend by joining a club.Please help.Thanks alot.
By the way I live in Bethesda,MD,20817 if anyone live near here wanted to hit with me.Thanks

papa
08-28-2004, 02:44 PM
One thing you can do that is very effective is to print, or have printed. business cards with your name, tel #, e-mail, level along with a line expressing your interest in playing singles, doubles or hitting (or all three). Put them up on bulletin boards or at local clubs - you should get calls because finding people is a constant problem.

Other place to drop off cards is at private courts, YMCA's. high schools and colleges.

Good luck.

pchoi04
08-29-2004, 01:31 AM
I would say join a club... They should have some sort of roster sheet with contact info and some info about the player... Mostly just NTRP rating or something and I'm sure the pros at the club will help you find a partner...

dminh01
08-29-2004, 08:07 AM
thanks for this info.And if you are joining a club,what quality of a club are you usually loking at.

goober
08-29-2004, 08:51 AM
thanks for this info.And if you are joining a club,what quality of a club are you usually loking at.

There are several levels you can join at. Private clubs are the best but they are the most expensive. The clubs in my area cost around $800-1000 to join and $99-150/month. However all these clubs have nonmember options which is what you probably want to do. They allow you to go to clinics and drop-in play but you have to pay at a slightly higher rate than the members, but only for the sessions you actually do. This option is good if you only want tennis and don't need the gym/spa/social aspects of the club.

The other option are tennis leagues that are run by public court systems. These generally have 4.5 level players and are much cheaper. You can meet practice partners this way. The downside is that they have defined times for league play and you may have to wait until the season starts.

If you are at a college you may want to advertise on a bulletin board or join an intramural team. Actually if you are at a 4.5 level you may want to practice with the team at your college and if it is not a division 1 team you could even consider trying out for the team.

Camilio Pascual
08-30-2004, 04:08 AM
All good advice. If you join a club, look at the membership and see if there are people from college, your age, or your country there, somebody with some common experiences or life situations to yours. For meeting people, I suggest not joining a league at first, you only really meet one person at a time under competitive circumstances. Though, you could get a friendly reception in one and if you are ever invited to drink a beer later, ALWAYS accept, even if you don't drink, just drink water and have a good talk. Find a club that offers drill or workout groups. These are usually groups of about 5 people that either drill with 1 coach or there is a larger program and you are rotated around with different coaches having you do different drills. Socialize before and after and get to know these people. Talk to people who DON'T have much in common with you, too, you have tennis in common. A lot of having a successful career as an amateur player has to do with having or developing social skills to find hitting partners, doubles partners, and opponents. If you see a table of 50+ olde pharts such as myself in the morning sitting around talking, sneak into a chair and start listening, we love to talk about ourselves. Some of these older people might want to hit with you or take you under their wing. Good luck, whatever you do.

Tim Tennis
08-30-2004, 05:05 AM
Bethesda,MD ? Surely they have some pretty active public courts in that area. I would scope out the near by courts and see which ones are most active. One thing you can do is hit on the wall if they have one. This will give some of the regulars a chance to evaluate your game to see if your level is close to their's. A lot of times someone won't show up for a doubles match and need a forth, sometimes the regulars just show up looking for a match. If they don't have a wall maybe you can just practice your serves on a court. Just make sure you are not banging balls on to courts where people are playing. Another thing you can do is hang around with all your tennis stuff and watch people play. Sometimes people will come up to you and say hello and see if you have a match. If you are not bashful you can watch people play and find someone who you think your game and their's is very close and when they get finished you can ask them if they would like to play. I had a teaching pro from Chicago who was in town for about a week ask me to play after he had watched me. We played twice that week and had some great matches.

Good luck, and have fun.