PDA

View Full Version : So a low ball skids your way, you have a western grip

sanitarium
08-28-2004, 12:53 PM
God I hate this. You rally a few balls in a row and gain the advantage, your opponent hits a desperation dink or slice and the low ball lands on the service line and bounces no more than a foot high, and trying to scoop those up are hell.

I know concentrate on knee bend and lifting up instead of through, but its just a difficult shot. I often open up to a continental but then that just evens up the point again, giving them a high slow ball.

Here's sort of a sub topic:
Playing a match today against a good player but I feel i'm the stronger player. Went up 4-0, ended up losing the set 7-5. How ******** is this, it was just a practice fool around set, but the lack of concentration or focus disturbs me, really. I think once I gain control and am up that much I kind of feel I've already 'won' and really lay off and slow down. Comments

JohnThomas1
08-28-2004, 01:52 PM
Yeah trying to hit a good enough shot of one of
THOSE to follow to net is just not on usually. If it is the exact ball i am picturing i sort of hook it if possible and i use a SW. You come up and around the outside of the ball and can still hit a decent shot. It's really got to be hit crosscourt tho from that height and depth.

tennisplayer
08-29-2004, 11:59 AM
Low balls are my nemesis, too. One of the guys I play with has very erratic shots, and his stroke mechanics look awful. I can almost always beat him if it comes down to a baseline duel, and I have a better serve. But, I have to grant him this - he manages to turn the tables to his advantage when we play matches. His secret is low skidding balls - either short and low to my backhand which I have to get on the run, or worse, flat, deep balls within a foot of the baseline that don't bounce more than a foot - all the harder for me because I would have just hit a good shot and moved in a foot or so into the court expecting a shorter ball.

I am working on a strategy to deal with this. For the short balls, I think I need to anticipate a little better, and get there well in tme to set up for a 2-handed DTL or cross-court shot. When rushed, I am forced to slice, and he eats it up at the net, and this is what I have to prevent. For the deep balls, I am thinking of staying 2-3 feet behind the baseline, and giving myself time and space to deal with the low bounce - ideally, catching them in the sweet spot and get them back deep. I know if I do that twice in a row I will get the point! But that's easier said than done... as we all know!

Anyway, I wish you luck with this guy. Happy hitting!

DoubleJ
08-29-2004, 01:37 PM
This is certainly one of the most frusterating shots players with Western forehands face in any given match. I usually do one of two things:

1) Hit a slice/side spin shot that bounces away from your opponents backhand and approach the net.

2) Hit an inside out topspin forehand. You have to start your swing behind your body and finish the shot with one hand over your RIGHT shoulder.