PDA

View Full Version : BBC reports Sampras to play Chmapions Tour

Steve F.
01-29-2007, 12:15 PM
better yet, the Champions tour. The chmapions are for guys reaching over their lunch to type...

First up will be Boston in May. You can check out the link here (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/6311691.stm). Can't help but wonder if he's not thinking about asking for wildcards for the grasscourt season.

noeledmonds
01-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Thats great news for the Champions Tour. It was looking in danger of not really continuing and being a success, but if Sampras plays surely other key players will join. It will also be Great to see Sampras back on court doing what he does best. I still think a return to the ATP tour is very unlikely though. It would be a far more major commitment to prepare physically and mentally for a return to the ATP tour, even just for the grass season.

classic tennis
01-30-2007, 06:37 AM
The difference is that he is playing on Jim Couriers Outback tour of Champions in the USA, which is not the champions tour that only has Eurpean events. The two tours dont have anything to do with each other.

Rabbit
01-30-2007, 07:21 AM
Look for AA to join if his back permits. Sampras, I was told by one of the promoters, has committed to 3 events.

Edit: I am referring to the Outback tour...

classic tennis
01-30-2007, 07:33 AM
He will play on the Outback tour in the US , they have all the guy's keen, the European Champions tour is a bit of a mess.

Gugafan_Redux
01-30-2007, 02:13 PM
Saw it on CNN. Must be true.

thor's hammer
01-31-2007, 10:04 AM
Going through a little Aussie Open post-partum, so dug out a tape from the 2001 US Open. First match on it is Sampras/Rafter round of 16. Sampras was absolutely amazing! Went 4 sets, but man did he beat up on Rafter that day. The end point was a long, drawn out rally with a lot of scurrying around. Very entertaining, and a very good example of what a strong/QUICK/dominant player Sampras was. It really bugs me that in such a short period of time he's been so eclipsed by Federer in everyone's consciousness. Federer is truly a great, well-rounded player, but Sampras had a weight to his game that was mind-boggling!

The second match on that tape was the Sampras/Agassi quarter, the one with 4 tiebreaks. Sampras' serving *and* groundstrokes off both wings were phenomenal! His forehands and big serves down the middle were like cannon shots! Sui generis!! I still think a fit yet rested Sampras could take Wimbledon this year! ( Kick butt on Champions and then get those wildcards! ;-)

BTW, that was the tournament where Agassi dismissed Federer in straights in the previous round. Of course that was before Fed really took off.