PDA

View Full Version : Do bandana wearers look like posers to you?

grimmbomb21
01-29-2007, 05:22 PM
I was thinking of buying one of the Nike bandanas. Not many people wear them where I play, and I don't want people to think I am trying to be Federer or Nadal. However, I do like the way they look. And I think they are better at removing sweat than a headband. Anyway, your thoughts please...:D

Sagittar
01-29-2007, 05:25 PM
well i agree very much with you , they do look great and way better than headbands and are more comfortable as well , but yeah some people will think you're trying to pose and some will think it look cool , so it's up to you but personally i would wear them anytime ..

grimmbomb21
01-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Sorry for the double thread. Can a mod remove this one please.:(

baros
01-29-2007, 06:52 PM
if you have the game to back it up.

chlsmo
01-31-2007, 12:55 AM
if you dont want to look like Federer or Nadal just wear an Adidas one or some other brand that is not Nike. That being said I like my Nike one very much.

hlkimfung
01-31-2007, 04:05 AM
Bandana only look good with long hair. even Fed's hair is too short during the US open last year to fit the bandana

Supernatural_Serve
01-31-2007, 05:24 AM
Get yourself a do rag instead.

Even though tennis players have worn bandanas for decades...Nadal and Federer and others have basically killed the ability to wear a sports bandana without looking like an idiot

Voltron
01-31-2007, 05:54 AM
I have VERY long hair, so would it be bad to wear an adidas one? I'm curious about this, as is the OP.

rustsurfr
01-31-2007, 06:25 AM
My hair is pretty long. Hats keep my head too hot, so bandannas are my favorite thing to wear on the court. I wear the nike bandannas. I think they look awesome. I could care less if anyone thinks I'm trying to be like Federer or Nadal. Let all your opponents think what they want. Just show em up with your tennis game.

staedtler
01-31-2007, 08:20 AM
You could get a regular ol white bandana and paint your own design on it. I made a karate kid replica bandana. Its foolish but at least people wont think Im trying to copy fed or nadal with a swoosh on it.

LASVEGAS ACES
01-31-2007, 08:27 AM
I think you should wear a bandana with your long hair
(then maybe a nice string of pearls and matching purse, Betty)

ATXtennisaddict
01-31-2007, 09:58 AM
Just wear your underwear over your head. No one will think you're a poser because no one on tour does it.

Long hair? no problem. Just tie your hair into pigtails and put them throug the leggingholes.

amx13
01-31-2007, 10:29 AM
You could get a regular ol white bandana and paint your own design on it. I made a karate kid replica bandana. Its foolish but at least people wont think Im trying to copy fed or nadal with a swoosh on it.

haha, thats a great idea!. I wear either a U2 "coexist" or an Andre Agassi "a" bandana when I play, any of them look better than the swoosh IMO...and I dont even have long hair, but I like the fact that you can adjust them and wear them tight. I wont copy Nadal or Federer, but I will copy you and make myself a Karate kid replica :grin:

Vitaly Evchenkov
01-31-2007, 11:08 AM
if you have to ask the question ... yes you are a poser.

if you put it on and can rock it, then no.
better yet, use a different item and start your own trend.

i sometimes have worn a bandana ($1 from craft store) and i felt kind of stupid, but
i looked even goofier in a headband... and it helped to keep the sweat
out of my eyes. wear it a couple of times and pretty soon, after your friends snicker a few times, everyone gets used to it.

i mainly wear a backwards Nike hat that has a built in headband because I can turn it around and help with the sun if I need it... but occasionally I break out a bandana. paying $8-15 for a bandana/headtie is crazy though....
(you just better bring a good game with you to the court on those days):D

grimmbomb21
01-31-2007, 11:45 AM
if you have to ask the question ... yes you are a poser.

It took this long for someone to point this out.:D

I was thinking that when I started the thread. Anyway, a lot of my USTA teammates wore the same white bandana with that weird pattern to sectionals last year. The guys who had never worn them said they were great for absorbing sweat before it got in their eyes. I just thought they looked a bit goofy...

python
01-31-2007, 12:45 PM
Just wear your underwear over your head. No one will think you're a poser because no one on tour does it.

Long hair? no problem. Just tie your hair into pigtails and put them throug the leggingholes.

That was funny.

Verbal_Kint
01-31-2007, 12:45 PM
I just wrap it so that the swoosh is not visible.. But I do need something to keep the hair out of my eyes..

EuroMagnum
01-31-2007, 02:24 PM

No way man, you do that too? Small world...

Voltron
01-31-2007, 02:28 PM

Woah, I thought I was the only one! :roll:

slice bh compliment
01-31-2007, 02:36 PM
Okay tough guy. You wanna not be a poseur? Take an old white towel. With your bare hands, rip a 3 inch by 20 inch swath of it. Tie it around your gnarly balding sweaty head. Play hard. Wash it in the river where the bears hunt, eat and *****. Rinse and repeat.

For a Rambo poseur look, get some red blood stains on it.
For a Pat Cash poseur look, checker away.
For a Jim McMahon 1986 Chicaago Bearss poseur look, write Rozelle on it.

EricW
01-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Bandana only look good with long hair. even Fed's hair is too short during the US open last year to fit the bandana

Was just about to say this. Added to looking better with long hair, having long hair lets someone wear one with a reason, "I need to keep the hair out of my face!"

Another trick to not look like a poseur is to not go overboard, the people who have all the brand name tennis clothes, fed's racquet, and a bandana are the ones who look like poseurs

Zets147
01-31-2007, 04:10 PM
where's that "who cares, stfu" thread at?

tennisp13
02-01-2007, 11:48 AM
I wear both bandanna and headband for practical purpose. Cause it keeping the sweat from my eyes, and I have short hair too.

chaz_233
02-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Can't stand how weird bandanas or caps look. Especially if they're like a marketing board for some damn company.
Visors look ok on girls, but anything on a man just doesn't look right.

Jet Rink
02-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Can't stand how weird bandanas or caps look. Especially if they're like a marketing board for some damn company.
Visors look ok on girls, but anything on a man just doesn't look right.

I agree, for the most part Chaz.

Heabands: OK
Bandanas: Cool
Hats: Dork City
Visors (non-girls!): NO way

Jet

retrowagen
02-01-2007, 12:08 PM
If you want to look hardcore, don't wear either a hat (alternately too redneck or hip-hoppy), sweatband (too Kareem Abdul-Jabbar), or a bandana (too pirate).

Just go natural: it's classic and practical.

LuckyR
02-01-2007, 12:40 PM
Bandanas, being cotton don't absorb worth diddly, the Nike DriFit head ties work a lot better. And don't have the basketball player elastic thing, going on...

JRstriker12
02-01-2007, 12:49 PM
In general no.

I rock the James Blake style sweatband in the summer to keep the sweat out or my eyes. As long as that bandana is there to do the same - or to keep the hair out of your eyes - there's no problem.

BlankenshipBabaganoosh
02-01-2007, 02:24 PM
yes, they look like they came out of a GnR concert.

pcpshortbus
02-01-2007, 03:33 PM
its gey if you wear it w/out long hair

Kabob190
02-01-2007, 08:17 PM
its gey if you wear it w/out long hair

i was hoping for someone not to say something like that. i have short hair and i was considering starting to wear them because i sweat like a maniac. i mean the regular ones not the nike's or adidas

grimmbomb21
02-01-2007, 11:12 PM
i was hoping for someone not to say something like that. i have short hair and i was considering starting to wear them because i sweat like a maniac. i mean the regular ones not the nike's or adidas

Well now that you know "the bandana hair length rules", you will just have to suffer with sweat in the eyes. Unless you have a wig that you can wear with it. But that might get too hot. Causing more sweat!:(

Jet Rink
02-02-2007, 12:31 PM

I'd say wear it. If perceived criticism is coming from someone who can't spell "gay," (g-E-y?? C'mon! But maybe you meant "Fey" ...?) I would not be concerned in the least.

(I need a rolling eyes emoticon!)

Jet

Zets147
02-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Just wear what you want lol, give people a wink or two if they start to stare.

Kabob190
02-02-2007, 08:25 PM
i usually wear a hat anyways, theres no talking smack against someone who wears a hat. problem is i dont have the game to back up the bandana.

Voltron
02-02-2007, 08:26 PM
I'd say wear it. If perceived criticism is coming from someone who can't spell "gay," (g-E-y?? C'mon! But maybe you meant "Fey" ...?) I would not be concerned in the least. :roll:

Jet

I added it into your post for you, and removed the request.

Vitaly Evchenkov
02-02-2007, 08:32 PM
who was that ice skater guy during the olympics??? Apolo Ohno??? That guy was a poseur!
http://sports.crimsonlight.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/02/21006-Short-Track-Apolo-Anton-Ono.jpg

Is that unpatriotic... sorry USA!

Vitaly Evchenkov
02-02-2007, 08:35 PM
yes, they look like they came out of a GnR concert.

Appetite for Destruction is awesome! I'm totally rockin a bandana from now on.. maybe with some frayed jean shorts too!

stormholloway
02-02-2007, 10:06 PM
if you have the game to back it up.

Why the hell would you need to back up wearing a bandana? It's to keep hair and sweat out of your face.

federer_nadal
02-03-2007, 04:56 AM
I would wear a pat cash one, because i need to keep the hair out of my eyes and absorb sweat if i could find one. Wearing that wouldnt make me a poser, and i probably wouldnt end up wearing it. At the moment i just wear one of those normal headbands, somewhat like james blake, i look like a knob but it keeps the hair out of my eyes.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
02-03-2007, 04:32 PM
im a 4.0, so it depends on people calling me a poser, lol, but i do wear it to help keep my hair back and not annoy my eyes, but then again, there will always be a-holes thatll bring people down whenever they can, but i havent really been called a poser, only once, by a guy who looks like he wont stand a chance when i fight him, but then again, if i listen to those people, i wont be playing tennis anyways.

heres a pic, carlos moya style, haha

http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l119/rafaelcanlas/l_d775342aebeb7ae9542b4047841edfa5.jpg

Voltron
02-03-2007, 04:44 PM
Personally when my hair gets long enough, bandana and ponytail come out. I don't care what you think.

me is bored
02-03-2007, 04:58 PM
you'll look kinda like a poser to me unless u have the game then u dont look like a freak...(the only people ive ever seen wearing the headbands were like the number 1 seed players and such...

Forehand Forever
02-03-2007, 05:19 PM
Nah you wouldn't look like a poser to me at least. It's not like I'd walk up to you and be like "POSER!". I could see where you're getting the poser image from if you had like all Federer/Nadal gear.

Rainier3421
02-03-2007, 06:02 PM
hahah nobody wears bandanas/sweatbands in this part of texas, they all wear hats. to tell you the truth i like the headband thing, i used to play basketball before i played tennis and im not trying to be a federer or nadal. i do play with it a lot better because when its on my head "its game time".

tennisboi
02-03-2007, 06:23 PM
you do look like one. no offense.

tennisboi
02-03-2007, 06:24 PM
i think the headband won't make you look like one. just that when you wear a bandana, it does make you look like a poser

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
02-03-2007, 06:28 PM
i think the headband won't make you look like one. just that when you wear a bandana, it does make you look like a poser

haha, but why? seriously, if i can wear the stretchy headband, i would, but my hair is long, and the headband isnt as comfy and as big as the bandana, but then again, i like being called a poser by the haters, oh and, for a 4.0, i have a forehand that can back it up

Jet Rink
02-03-2007, 10:17 PM
I added it into your post for you, and removed the request.

Volt: You Da Man.

Jet

ssjkyle31
02-04-2007, 03:59 AM
Hey if you need to head bandana you need it. They are just jealous of you, because you have hair.

rasajadad
02-04-2007, 05:29 AM

That's the funniest thing I've read on here in a long time! Good one.

Sixpointone
02-04-2007, 08:04 AM
I wear one at times, especially when I had longer hair.

Truth is I do it because I want to, certainly not trying to be someone else, and if someone wants to try and judge me for it, they are free to do so.

slice bh compliment
02-04-2007, 08:29 AM
SPOILER ALERT:
Yeah, Joey Fatone is a huge poseur. Even without the headband.http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m105/bagdaddy_2006/baghdatis_zagreb7.jpg

caseyguy59
02-04-2007, 10:02 AM
u know something thats better than a bandanna? try an old tournagrip, now thats as anti-poseur as it gets.

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
02-04-2007, 10:07 AM
Hey if you need to head bandana you need it. They are just jealous of you, because you have hair.

haha exactly, lol, i dont let em bother my game.

energy911
02-05-2007, 01:21 PM
have you tried a sweat gutr? it's bit different looking but it you really want to keep the sweat out of your eyes, that's the way to go.

Voltron
02-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Oh hell no, no "gutr" on my head thanks.

Dr. Acula
08-23-2008, 01:36 PM
have you tried a sweat gutr? it's bit different looking but it you really want to keep the sweat out of your eyes, that's the way to go.

That is the stupidest looking thing I have ever seen. I'd rather look like a poser than the idiot who has a plastic rain gutter on his forehead. Yikes.

JoshDragon
08-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Why do you care if people think that you are a poser? You can't control what they think anyway. Get it if you want it.

slice bh compliment
08-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Why do you care if people think that you are a poser? You can't control what they think anyway. ....

Good point. That would be totally poseur-ish.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
08-24-2008, 09:55 AM
I really don't care what people wear unless if they have the exact outfit Nadal of Fed wears.

herosol
08-24-2008, 08:33 PM
lol. who cares? i wear one because im a big head sweater.

plus if you look good who gives a crap. I mean would you dare say to a sexy person with a headband who plays like **** a poser? You can tell him that, but he still looks 10x better then ya.

Sorry. It's utility and aesthetics. Not your self-consciousness.
haha if you can't wear something just because you're afraid to look poser, then you need to see the nearest psychologist for a confidence boost.

cmon. think for yourself.

lethalfang
08-25-2008, 06:41 PM
bandana + weak game = silliest/funniest thing in tennis

grimmbomb21
08-25-2008, 10:40 PM
Who dug up this thread?:confused:

And what loser started it in the first place?:mrgreen:

Wow, almost two years old. And yes, I do occasionally wear a bandana. And, I do occasionally get some smiles from it, but I gotta say, I don't really give a **** what anyone thinks about it anymore. I guess if I got really fat or became a pusher I would feel a little weird, but until then...

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5170/karatekidau3.th.jpg (http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=karatekidau3.jpg)

SirBlend12
08-26-2008, 08:10 AM
Hey, did anyone here even think about the fact that bandanas were around BEFORE Federer and Nadal? As well as polos and sleeveless tops? I guess it IS true that most on this board could beat pros and have the right to talk down to someone asking a question. Respectful and humble>grandeur>ego>being a d***.

Good job to all who didn't lambaste the OP. It seems we can't even come to a place to talk about a sport we all love without everyone fighting and having a "holier than thou" attitude.

Charlie_Boy
08-26-2008, 08:40 AM
Not really posers, but it looks kind of dumb.

My point being, only wear one if you are a good player, lol.

WildVolley
08-26-2008, 09:18 AM
These threads are amusing.

I guess I'm not part of the culture that believes one has to reach a certain level of tennis proficiency to play wearing a bandana, hat, wristband, headband, visor, shirt, etc....

Often times poorer people will be faintly jealous of someone with nicer gear that plays like a beginner. It's sort of like watching the guy driving a classic Ferrari who is grinding the gears.

However, a bandana/headband/hat is a practical piece of equipment that can keep sweat out of your face. Wear it if you want to.

Sveinsson
04-26-2011, 07:16 AM
This thread is so funny.

I'm not that good at tennis but I love playing. I always play with a bandana and I prefer to play in complete outfitts.

If I'm going to play bad and loose I might as well look good doing it. No reason to look like a bum on the court.

No reason to get sweat in your face to distcract you.

adidasman
04-26-2011, 08:42 AM
This thread is so funny.

I'm not that good at tennis but I love playing. I always play with a bandana and I prefer to play in complete outfitts.

If I'm going to play bad and loose I might as well look good doing it. No reason to look like a bum on the court.

No reason to get sweat in your face to distcract you. Don't let anyone tell you not to do what you're doing, man. Dressing well is your prerogative, and, if you enjoy it, why shouldn't you look good? As you said, even if you lose, at least you looked sharp. ;)

prgault
04-26-2011, 08:56 AM
wal mart sell bandanas in a 4 pack for about $4, i get the black ones. keeps the sweat out of my eyes and my hearing aid. I've worn these since @ 1975, long before fed and Nadal came around...

P_

Bartelby
04-26-2011, 08:58 AM
Hendrix wore a bandana at Woodstock, and they were very hip before they became sporting equipment

Carolina Racquet
04-26-2011, 09:07 AM
IMO you gotta have the long hair and keep the Nike clothing to a minimum.

If you step out there with a Nike bandana, sweatbands, shirt, shorts, Courtballistics and a Babolat Aeropro Drive GT... then yeah... you look like a poser.

Substitute that with Vapors and a Wilson BLX six.one tour... and you too can look like a poser.

Regular bandana, generic shirt/shorts.. ASICs shoes, Solinco Frame and a non-matching racquet bag... you look deadly!

Sveinsson
04-26-2011, 09:08 AM
I just can't understand how pepole can NOT play with one. I can't make it without a bandana. The sweat dripping down my face and in my eyes...makes me nuts. Never play without them!

Boricua
04-26-2011, 09:12 AM
if you dont want to look like Federer or Nadal just wear an Adidas one or some other brand that is not Nike. That being said I like my Nike one very much.

Theyll think he is imitating Fernando Gonzalez:)

Boricua
04-26-2011, 09:14 AM

Winnie the Pooh is also a possibility:)

Boricua
04-26-2011, 09:15 AM
I just can't understand how pepole can NOT play with one. I can't make it without a bandana. The sweat dripping down my face and in my eyes...makes me nuts. Never play without them!

Me too, and Ill use Nike or Adidas as I am not endorsed by either one:)

Sveinsson
04-26-2011, 09:15 AM
IMO you gotta have the long hair and keep the Nike clothing to a minimum.

If you step out there with a Nike bandana, sweatbands, shirt, shorts, Courtballistics and a Babolat Aeropro Drive GT... then yeah... you look like a poser.

Substitute that with Vapors and a Wilson BLX six.one tour... and you too can look like a poser.

Regular bandana, generic shirt/shorts.. ASICs shoes, Solinco Frame and a non-matching racquet bag... you look deadly!

You should see me then playing in my Courtballistecs 2.3, complete Nadal Australian Open 2009 Day outfit with bandana and wristbands on both hands with my Roddick Babolat Pure Drive GT. ;)

OR my complete:

Nadal French Open 2009 and 2010
Nadal US Open 2010
Nadal Australian Open 2010 and Indian Wells 2010

It's a scene....

Boricua
04-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Me too, and Ill use Nike or Adidas as I am not endorsed by either one:)

I use head ties really, they are easier to put on:)

fRa
04-26-2011, 09:48 AM
I'm surprised no one brought up Tomic's name. He looks ridiculous !

http://tennisconnected.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Tomic-DC.jpg

Carolina Racquet
04-26-2011, 09:51 AM
^^^ Prefer neck ties. It scares the bejesus out of my poor opponents :)

http://us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/dmitroza/dmitroza0907/dmitroza090700214/5173250-funny-man-in-pink-shirt-with-necktie-on-his-head.jpg

Carolina Racquet
04-26-2011, 09:53 AM

I'll see your ridiculous Tomic and raise you!!

http://resources0.news.com.au/images/2011/01/27/1225995/484624-tomic.jpg

Gemini
04-26-2011, 09:53 AM
It's a trend just like:

The Agassi "Pirate Bandana" Days
The Rafter/Rios/Malisse/Federer "Ponytail" Days
The Hewitt "Hat-Turned-Backwards" Days

Sveinsson
04-26-2011, 09:56 AM

He should join a gym and beef up. If you have noodle arms you shouldn't wear sleeveless shirts.

jdubbs
04-26-2011, 10:14 AM
I not only wear the bandana, I've basically stolen Rafa's whole look circa Monte Carlo 2011, and have even started to:
1. Bounce up and down during the racket spin to see who serves first
2. High finish on the forehand with a slight grunt
3. Adopted a Catalan accent and finish most every sentence with "no?"

When I lose, which is rarely, especially on clay, I just say "Ah, you were jus' too good today, and I was tired, no?"

I think imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and it definitely attracts the ladies, no?

goober
04-26-2011, 10:18 AM
I not only wear the bandana, I've basically stolen Rafa's whole look circa Monte Carlo 2011, and have even started to:
1. Bounce up and down during the racket spin to see who serves first
2. High finish on the forehand with a slight grunt
3. Adopted a Catalan accent and finish most every sentence with "no?"

When I lose, which is rarely, especially on clay, I just say "Ah, you were jus' too good today, and I was tired, no?"

I think imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and it definitely attracts the ladies, no?

Don't forget to pick your butt before serves. That definitely attracts the ladies.

fRa
04-26-2011, 10:46 AM
Don't forget to pick your butt before serves. That definitely attracts the ladies.

... and to sprint back to the baseline after the coin toss.

ucr_tennis90
04-26-2011, 11:00 AM
i wear bandanas because they keep the sweat out of my eyes better than a hat. i'm sure we've all seen how roddick's hat drips all over the court.

i hate the word "poser" for people who emulate their favorite players. if they walk around saying they're the best thing since sliced bread but they actually suck, that's where it gets to "poser" territory.

i have OCD about matching stuff when i'm playing sports, so i wear all nike stuff because nike shoes fit my feet better than adidas/puma/etc (and i've worn nike since long before i even played tennis).

slice bh compliment
04-26-2011, 11:23 AM
Happy Easter. Nice resurrection of an old thread.

Bandanas are cool, even with short hair. They are practical. They work well in warm weather. They've been used since before the dawn of Fedal. Before the dawn of tennis even.

Now, getting the exact one that your favorite pro wears and matching it to your 'outfit' ..... is the stuff of poseurs.

Netzroller
04-27-2011, 09:58 AM
As long as you don't dress up like this clown for a tennis match, you're fine::twisted:
http://images.freshnessmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nike-roger-federer-wimbledon-2009-collection-3.jpg
(No offense to Fed, but his Wimbledon outfits are sometimes a bit too much for my taste...;))

To give a more serious answer:
Wearing bandanas etc for practical purposes is fine. I don't think there is a certain NTRP required for being allowed to use certain parts of equipment.
However, the emphasis is on pracitcal purposes, wear stuff that you actually need. I.e. don't get a bag with room for 12 rackets if you've only been playing for half a year and don't wear bandanas just to look good.
And like some other guys said: It's hard to draw a line here but it shouldn't look like you're trying to be your favorite pro player. It will always seem funny to some people and it's an even bigger joke if you don't have the game to back it up.

eidolonshinobi
04-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Bandanas are cool, even with short hair. They are practical. They work well in warm weather. They've been used since before the dawn of Fedal. Before the dawn of tennis even.

Now, getting the exact one that your favorite pro wears and matching it to your 'outfit' ..... is the stuff of poseurs.

I agree, I've got pretty short hair but I love my bandanas.

struggle
04-27-2011, 10:17 AM
bandanas come three to a pack for 7-8 bucks at the mart (pick one).

how much do them fancy logo head-wrap things (that folks are calling bandanas) cost anyhow?

Skywalker91
04-27-2011, 02:27 PM
I used to have a Nike bandanna and I did feel like a poser. I did not see a single bandanna when I played in high school and I have seen some in a few of the 4.0 tournaments I've played. Some people will buy $65 polos, a blx tour 90, some Nike lunar vapors, wear a bandanna and some high Nike socks, even at the 3.0. Personally I'm more comfortable in some basketball shorts, a loose shirt, a hat, and some cheap k swiss shoes(I go through a pair every couple of months so I can't justify nice kicks.)

jmverdugo
04-28-2011, 05:24 AM
If it is doing 100 degrees out there and you are sweating a lot you have to wear something to stop the sweat, either a hat a headband or a bandana. I usually use a hat but if I am sweating too much I may go either for the bandana or the headband.

Now if it is freezing out there and you are wearing a bandana you are just doing it for the looks, then you become a poser.

adidasman
04-28-2011, 06:22 AM
As long as you don't dress up like this clown for a tennis match, you're fine::twisted:
http://images.freshnessmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/nike-roger-federer-wimbledon-2009-collection-3.jpg
(No offense to Fed, but his Wimbledon outfits are sometimes a bit too much for my taste...;))

To give a more serious answer:
Wearing bandanas etc for practical purposes is fine. I don't think there is a certain NTRP required for being allowed to use certain parts of equipment.
However, the emphasis is on pracitcal purposes, wear stuff that you actually need. I.e. don't get a bag with room for 12 rackets if you've only been playing for half a year and don't wear bandanas just to look good.
And like some other guys said: It's hard to draw a line here but it shouldn't look like you're trying to be your favorite pro player. It will always seem funny to some people and it's an even bigger joke if you don't have the game to back it up. First of all, Federer does look absolutely ridiculous here. I'm embarrassed for him. But why should how someone dresses matter to anyone else? So what if you're a 2.5 player and you want to dress like Verdasco or Nadal? To me, if someone wants to laugh at someone for what they wear, the person laughing is the one with the problem. Give me some novice who wears proper tennis clothes, and therefore supports the tennis industry and respects the game, over some 5.5 guy wearing board shorts and a tank top. Why do we tennis players want to impose some absurd set of rules on what other, "lesser" players can or can't do? "Sorry, you're not good enough to use the new Donnay. Go buy a cheap Prince at Sports Authority, you poser." Are you going to go hang out at the BMW dealer and tell prospective buyers that they can't purchase a Six series unless they can prove their driving is up to snuff? Give me a break.

Mauvaise
04-28-2011, 07:27 AM
Not really posers, but it looks kind of dumb.

My point being, only wear one if you are a good player, lol.

Whatever. I wear what I need to wear to help me play. I can't play effectively when sweat is dripping in my eyes and smearing my glasses. So when it starts getting around 85/90 (F), I start wearing headbands, bandannas, hats, sweatbands, and whatever else will let me focus on my actual game and not the sweat dripping in my eyes or the sun beating on the top of my head.

I don't care if I look dumb or not. And I know I certainly do look it off the court with white patches around both wrists and just below my elbow on my right arm from my TE brace. Stupid tan lines! But for the most part, I just don't care.

Six.One.Tour.90FAN
04-28-2011, 10:15 PM
First of all, Federer does look absolutely ridiculous here. I'm embarrassed for him. But why should how someone dresses matter to anyone else? So what if you're a 2.5 player and you want to dress like Verdasco or Nadal? To me, if someone wants to laugh at someone for what they wear, the person laughing is the one with the problem. Give me some novice who wears proper tennis clothes, and therefore supports the tennis industry and respects the game, over some 5.5 guy wearing board shorts and a tank top. Why do we tennis players want to impose some absurd set of rules on what other, "lesser" players can or can't do? "Sorry, you're not good enough to use the new Donnay. Go buy a cheap Prince at Sports Authority, you poser." Are you going to go hang out at the BMW dealer and tell prospective buyers that they can't purchase a Six series unless they can prove their driving is up to snuff? Give me a break.

..and what should be do about global warming?

ahaa, jks, thats pretty much my view too

TMCW140
04-29-2011, 01:01 AM
First of all, Federer does look absolutely ridiculous here. I'm embarrassed for him. But why should how someone dresses matter to anyone else? So what if you're a 2.5 player and you want to dress like Verdasco or Nadal? To me, if someone wants to laugh at someone for what they wear, the person laughing is the one with the problem. Give me some novice who wears proper tennis clothes, and therefore supports the tennis industry and respects the game, over some 5.5 guy wearing board shorts and a tank top. Why do we tennis players want to impose some absurd set of rules on what other, "lesser" players can or can't do? "Sorry, you're not good enough to use the new Donnay. Go buy a cheap Prince at Sports Authority, you poser." Are you going to go hang out at the BMW dealer and tell prospective buyers that they can't purchase a Six series unless they can prove their driving is up to snuff? Give me a break.

Spot on (1O Char)

nicolaisidek
04-29-2011, 06:47 AM

On federer: Just the shorts. The tops are fine

On your statements: I wish people think like you. Very true indeed.

samurai13
04-29-2011, 09:14 AM
I would say that they do unless they are extremely good

mr_eko
04-29-2011, 07:25 PM

It's kind of like wearing you favorite basketball team or soccer team jersey. What's someone going to say if you show up to a pick up game and your wearing a Messi Barca jersey? There not going to call you a poser, you're just showing your support and that your a fan.

I look at it the same way with tennis clothes, if someone is decked out in a bandana, sleeveless shirt and board shorts, there just showing there love for Nadal.

ssonosk
04-29-2011, 10:43 PM
bandanas come three to a pack for 7-8 bucks at the mart (pick one).

how much do them fancy logo head-wrap things (that folks are calling bandanas) cost anyhow?

Dude I can't wear a regular bandana; people would think i was in a gang.

I do want to try out Bandanas though

and they're $15 at my tennis shop

rbun1
04-30-2011, 06:10 AM
Well, I have two reasons for wearing bandana..

1. I had long hair before so I wear bandana to keep my hair away from my eyes

2. I prefer bandana than headband or hat because I feel itchy on my forehead while wearing the headband, while if I wear a hat, it reduces my vision especially while serving, it doesn't absorb my sweat well and it is annoying because I need to fix my hair after playing. so I like to wear bandana because it is not making me feel itchy also it helps me to keep my hair away from my eyes compare to headband

The problem here is people like to stereotype on others if they wear bandana by saying that they are nadal or fed wanna be or they want to look cool. But just be yourself, if you feel comfortable to wear bandana, just wear it, no need to think about what other people say. It is not that they know you and they might not even meet you again next time, so just enjoy what you wear. If others ask you why you wear bandana, just say you like to wear it because it is comfortable, especially if your hair is long. Nike sells bandana not only for collection but also to be worn, it is just unlucky enough that Nadal and Federer wear bandana while playing tennis. If they wear hats instead of bandana, I am sure people will never say that you want to be Fed or Nadal.. :D

slice bh compliment
04-30-2011, 06:36 AM
The problem here is people like to stereotype on others if they wear bandana by saying that they are nadal or fed wanna be or they want to look cool. .... :D

Exactly!
The solution:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nx64_N4AA04

Sveinsson
04-30-2011, 07:16 AM
Well I'm sure glad I brought this thread back to life after three years.

Cindysphinx
04-30-2011, 07:45 AM
FWIW, you can get oversized cotton bandanas at military supply stores. They come in all colors, but I use solid black. $2, compared to $15 for Nike.

I have one Babolat bandana ($5) in that stretchy material for athletic wear. I am not a huge fan. It actually came untied during a point once, which never happens with the cotton ones.

I tried a Nike one with the tail, but I didn't like the tail. I have never tried the Fed or Nadal Nike ones because they look like they would be too large for a woman.

slice bh compliment
04-30-2011, 05:34 PM
Hahaha, speaking of cheap bandanas.....I remember playing a tournament about the time Rambo came out. The dude I was playing dubs with ripped a stripe off an old towel and used it as a bandana. Made me one, too. We played like warriors.

SoBad
04-30-2011, 05:59 PM
People who carry or wear stuff onto a tennis court are not cool. If you are a player, you just come to the court wearing a thong. If you are awesome, leave it to people who aren't to supply you with a racquet and stuff and wipe sweat off your forehead.