PDA

View Full Version : SW grip? and should i try out for school team?

Exxion
08-28-2004, 08:56 PM
I tried out the SW grip against teh wall today because I have a tendancy to slice almost all balls coming to my forehand unless i conciously think about it. I got into the groove of the SW soon and its all good. However, I have to move my hands a lot when I want to hit a backhand? is this normal? what kind of backhand grip should I use with a SW forehand?

School is starting this monday and I was thinking of maybe trying out for the school team. I'm going to be a junior (3rd year) and I think it might be too late (should've tried out during freshman or sophmore year). I'm not really sure wut NTRP. I might be a 3.0 backhand, 3.5-4.0 forehand and serve. What do you guys think?

Also, if you guys think I should tryout, is there anythign that help the coach to notice me or any tendancies that high schoolers have that I should avoid or can take advantage of?

finchy
08-28-2004, 09:13 PM
plz do note that 3.5's to 4.0's dont almost always slice their forehand.

KoolAidMan
08-28-2004, 10:44 PM
Try out man, if you like to play tennis, try out. During tryouts just show heart, determination, and will. The coach will most likely notice that and see potential. Thats not really something you can fake though, you just kind of have to be passionate about it. Try your best, dont get down on yourself, and show a positive attitude.

Try out and good luck!

Camilio Pascual
08-30-2004, 04:55 AM
Definitely try out. Even if you don't make it, find out from the coaches why you didn't make it and work on those parts of your game. At the very least, you will be getting some free coaching and analysis of your game. Also, you won't be kicking yourself later thinking you would have made it if you had really tried. I made that mistake in lacrosse by not having the self confidence. Good luck.

Tim Tennis
08-30-2004, 06:14 AM
Go for it.

sanitarium
08-30-2004, 07:03 AM
just as a side note i would rank you as roughly a 3.0 player.

but go out there and try your best!!

perfmode
08-30-2004, 08:07 AM
Yea, you sound like a 2.5-3.0 player. Try out for the team. You never know.

kevhen
08-30-2004, 08:11 AM
Try out. You are only as good as your biggest weakness, so work on that 3.0 backhand then. I would be surprised if your forehand is 4.0 level if you just switched from slice to SW grip, probably 3.5 at best. Try out and get some free advice on grips, what to work on etc.

Exxion
08-30-2004, 05:50 PM
thx for the replies guys, I think I'm gonna go the girls tennis team practices (girls tennis in fall, guys in spring) to see how well I do hitting with them