PDA

View Full Version : Tennis Survey - less than 5 minutes

SATennis
01-30-2007, 02:32 PM
I am an MBA student doing my final thesis project on the tennis industry. Please answer the following survey. I need to have a sample size of at least 500 players from around the country to get an accurate analysis of the data.
Just click copy and paste the link below into your web browser, it will take less than 5 minutes to answer.

Tennis Club Survey - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=132763209465

If posisble, please forward on to other tennis players.

Thanks

SATennis
01-30-2007, 02:34 PM
Sorry, first link was a tennis club survey, here is the player survey.

Tennis Player Survey - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=209333209358

Thanks

Voltron
01-30-2007, 02:41 PM
I took it, now where's my free cookie? ;)

darkblue
01-31-2007, 11:36 AM
what do we get for doing this??

nyc
01-31-2007, 12:14 PM
question 15 got me confused. If I play against someone with significantly lesser ability and I therefore have a handicap - let's say his points count double - chances are it's still going to be a sucky and unenjoyable match for both. I guess I'm not sure how a handicap system could work in a sport that relies on two players interacting vs a sport like golf, where the only interaction would be to cheers with beer bottles.
:confused:

Jack the Hack
01-31-2007, 12:45 PM
SATennis,

I believe that one of your survey questions is flawed:

"Rate your interest in a tennis rating system that is similar to golf's handicap system in that it bases your rating on the results of your play rather than someone's opinion of your play."

The current NTRP system does not use visual verification or rating clinics anymore. Since 2003, the system is based completely upon match results to generate a dynamic rating. Players may enter the system based on a self assessment, but match results ultimately generate the year end rating number in the national TennisLink computer. Therefore, this question above is flawed because NTRP is not based on opinion, but on actual match results just like the golf handicap system. The difference is that with the GHIN, you can tell exactly what your actual handicap will be by calculating course and slope ratings against your score and the number of rounds you play. With the NTRP, you may know which range you are in (a 4.5 player is actually rated somewhere between 4.01 and 4.50 in the TennisLink computer), but you don't know your exact rating to the hundredth decimal point, what your opponent's real rating is, and how the match score will eventually effect you.

The TenCap rating system advertises itself as a system based totally on play (like it's unique that way), but it is not much different than the NTRP. The major difference is that TenCap does not give you a range, but an exact number on a scale from 0 to 80 (with 0 being the best). Therefore, instead of saying "I'm a 4.5" (which could actually mean you are a 4.01 in the NTRP computer and would probably get waxed by someone that is a 4.49), you could say "I'm at 39" and you should be very competitive with other players that are a 39. The question then is how do you divise tournaments for TenCap players? Obviously, you can't have 81 different brackets for each TenCap level, so you break them down into ranges. For instance, you could have a tournament for players in 35-40 range in TenCap. These matches would be competitive, but the 35s should always beat the 40s. This is the same thing that happens with an NTRP tournament or league.

(On a related note, the ITN rating system is the only one I am familiar with that is based on skills instead of results.)

Also, your survey had several questions built around having a website where you could track match results and see upcoming tournaments. There is already a site like this called TennisLink! You may not be able to contact other players from this site or update your player profile, but that system is also free. (The USTA also just signed a deal with Active.com to let them take over the TennisLink system, so I wonder if that won't open up more features with that site in the near future.)

Since the TenCap website is managed in Kansas and you appear to be in Kansas City (the survey is for a University of Missouri-Kansas City Bloch Business School project), I wonder if you have a vested personal interest in TenCap. If so, I would think you would want to know the competing systems (NTRP and ITN) inside and out... especially if you are considering the TenCap website to be a profit venture.

tennismike33
01-31-2007, 12:59 PM
Where are you getting your MBA from?

RedWeb
02-01-2007, 02:09 PM
Jack the Hack... I think someone just got "busted" thanks to you.

SATennis
02-02-2007, 09:57 AM
Jack the Hack,

Thank you for your insightful comments on the NTRP System and the Tencap rating system. You seem to know a lot about both. The survey is used simply to get the opinions of other tennis players in the industry. I am in Kansas City, and being a tennis pro, I have met the gentleman who started Tencap. It is a league run in Kansas City that seems to be very successful in using their own rating system, but it has not expanded to any other city in the US. Although a vested interest in the business would be great, I am simply doing a tennis industry analysis with one of the many focuses being on the various rating systems and leagues. I will likely make the analysis of my results available to the USTA as well as to Tencap.

Although it appears that the question on rating someone's ability based on opinion or on results seems to imply that this is what NTRP currenlty does, the point of the question was to simply get the market's view on which rating they would prefer. From the results, it appears there is no definite winner as of yet, although I would think a results based system would suit everyone better.

The survey has not been used to downgrade the NTRP system, and I appologise if it appears that way. It is used to get an idea of the market's opinion of the NTRP and Tencap, and also to see if there is an opportunity in the market for an interactive website and which tools may be more effective.

I really appreciate your comments and would welcome any more insights. Your comments will already be added to my analysis, so any other information that you think may be important to my study would be greatly appreciated.

SATennis
02-02-2007, 10:03 AM
question 15 got me confused. If I play against someone with significantly lesser ability and I therefore have a handicap - let's say his points count double - chances are it's still going to be a sucky and unenjoyable match for both. I guess I'm not sure how a handicap system could work in a sport that relies on two players interacting vs a sport like golf, where the only interaction would be to cheers with beer bottles.
:confused:

Using a handicap system in tennis the same way it is used in golf would be a difficult task if it were used in a match with 2 players of very different abilities. However, everyone has those players that they never beat. It may be a close game at times, but they never win. So, in this case, a handicap system that could give the loser the correct number of points to make the game more even may be useful. It wouldn't work using a handicap between a 3.0 and a 4.0, but what about two 4.0's where one is obviously better than the other. It could make the game more competitive for both players, and both may feel comfortable putting some money on the game if there is a handicap, like they do in golf.

The question could have probably been refrased a little better, so i understand your confusion. Thanks for the comment.

jimmycoop
02-06-2007, 09:05 AM
I'm done; where can we see results?

CaveMan
02-07-2007, 03:21 PM
SAT, I am from KC, where you located?? we should play, im new and need to find someone to play.