PDA

View Full Version : USTA Tri-level league

oldguysrule
01-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Anybody participate in this? What did you think?

I thought it was pretty fun. My team will be in Houston this weekend for sectionals...anyone else going to be there?

DANMAN
01-31-2007, 04:36 PM
Anybody participate in this? What did you think?

I thought it was pretty fun. My team will be in Houston this weekend for sectionals...anyone else going to be there?

Can you elaborate on what this is? It sounds pretty interesting. I've always wanted 4.0 through 5.0 to be combined in a league where you had a 5.0 singles match, a 4.5 singles match, and a 4.0 singles match. The other two matches would be 9.0 combo doubles(5.0 and 4.0 or two 4.5s). I think this would be great.

oldguysrule
01-31-2007, 05:25 PM
This one is 3 lines of doubles: 4.5, 4.0, 3.5. Gives some variety to your team vs. the traditional adult league. It was a nice change of pace.

SunDog
02-01-2007, 10:36 AM
We are about to try it here in Knoxville. I got tagged with being the league coordinator for the inaugural year. Any details that you can give on your experience would be appreciated - things that worked well - things that just didnt work or were a pain, etc.

Thanks in advance.

BiGGieStuFF
02-01-2007, 10:38 AM
What is your team name?

oldguysrule
02-01-2007, 11:05 AM
What is your team name?

We are from Waco. Are you on one of the Houston teams?

oldguysrule
02-01-2007, 11:20 AM
We are about to try it here in Knoxville. I got tagged with being the league coordinator for the inaugural year. Any details that you can give on your experience would be appreciated - things that worked well - things that just didnt work or were a pain, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Well, you better hurry because sectionals here in Texas begin tomorrow and Nationals is the third weekend in March.

We had trouble getting teams together because it was a last minute deal for everyone. I would suggest recruiting captains. Very few individuals are familiar with this on so it was hard to get the word out to the interested folks. Recruit the captains so they can then recruit players for their team.

We did our league on a weekend. Worked well because we didn't have time to play one match per week. (We do this for Combo leagues as well)

It was fun having the different levels on one team. And I like having just 3 lines...

Not much else really. For me it is just another weekend of Tennis with a slightly different format.

Good luck putting it together.

SunDog
02-02-2007, 04:44 AM
Our Schedule is way different - I dont think there is a national event - so each section is probably on some independent calander. Our dates to play the local are from 5/1 - 8/5 so I have plenty of time. Thanks for the report.

SunDog
02-02-2007, 04:46 AM
What I meant is - that our District (TN) is not having anything past a District Championship for this first year.

slicerwannabe
02-02-2007, 06:54 PM
we lost in the play off. My friends are playing this weekend. I think it is a great idea to get to know players from all levels. It's the women in flight 1 from netx.

SunDog
02-03-2007, 05:05 AM
In TN we are supposed to have an upper and lower division. They are still debating the team makeup - but I have suggested one division of 2.5, 3.0, 3.5 = team and one division of 3.5, 4.0 and 4.5 = team. I looked at TX and it seems as though there was only one division - the upper one. Does anyone know why no lower level teams were formed.

Also I didn't see any other USTA section that has a Tri-Level League. I wonder who all will be going to the Nationals in Indian Wells in March (Posted on the TX site).

ferocious4hand
02-03-2007, 09:17 AM
can someone explain what a tri-level league is? how does the format work?

CrocodileRock
02-03-2007, 12:45 PM
It's 3 lines of doubles - One match each at 3.5, 4.0, and 4.5. The local winners advance to sectionals, and the sectional winners advance to nationals at Indian Wells, the same week that the pros play. I think the cost of nationals includes a ticket to the men's final.

BeachTennis
02-04-2007, 06:50 AM
Seems to me like Texas is a real group of out of the box thinkers!

What other sections offer this tri-level

Can you do 2.0,2.5,3.0?

jturpin4
02-04-2007, 08:46 AM
I know that Kentucky also has the Tri-Level league, but I don't think the Southern Section does..

oldguysrule
02-05-2007, 06:37 AM
In TN we are supposed to have an upper and lower division. They are still debating the team makeup - but I have suggested one division of 2.5, 3.0, 3.5 = team and one division of 3.5, 4.0 and 4.5 = team. I looked at TX and it seems as though there was only one division - the upper one. Does anyone know why no lower level teams were formed.

Also I didn't see any other USTA section that has a Tri-Level League. I wonder who all will be going to the Nationals in Indian Wells in March (Posted on the TX site).

I guess the reason would be the same as why no other section has a league...not enough time to put it together. It seems strange that the USTA would introduce a new league with very short organization times.

If you want to know more about this format, check out USPTA leagues. They have been doing a format like this for at least 4-5 years. I have never played in it but know some that have.

JLyon
02-05-2007, 07:14 PM
Arkansas did a Tri-Level last Fall using 3.0, 3.5, 4.0

christophertowle
02-10-2007, 07:12 PM
It was a fun format. We had a good match Old Guy. You all edged us out in 3 tiebreaks in the 3rd.

The SETX team won and nearly half of them are from Houston....

I wish USTA-Texas would have pushed the event more to get more people involved.

Chris

oldguysrule
02-10-2007, 07:49 PM
It was a fun format. We had a good match Old Guy. You all edged us out in 3 tiebreaks in the 3rd.

The SETX team won and nearly half of them are from Houston....

I wish USTA-Texas would have pushed the event more to get more people involved.

Chris

It was fun. I was glad to meet you and some others to put a face with the names. I will be in the Houston area about once a month so I may give you a call for some tennis.

You need to bring some buddies up here for our tournaments in May and June.

SunDog
02-11-2007, 07:25 AM
As of today, TN is going to have the following divisions:

2.5, 3.0, 3.5 = team
3.0, 3.5, 4.0 = team
3.5, 4.0, 4.5 = team
4.0, 4.5, 5.0 = team

We will have M/F - Adult and Senior Divisons.
Results do not count towards ratings.
You can play on a maximum of 2 teams (not sure if you can advance on both).
Local play will be sometime btw 5/1 and 8/5.
State (District) tourney to be held in late Aug (location TBD)

christophertowle
02-11-2007, 05:07 PM
Hey, Please do drop me a note if you are ever in town.

I can get free most nights with a little bit of warning and permission from the wife.

My email is christophertowle<REMOVE>@gmail.com

I am out in NW houston, but I can get to most anywhere around town if you would like to get a foursome together for a friendly match.

I have a little one at home (8 months old), so my ability to drive across Texas to play in tournaments is kind of restricted. I have played the major zone (and other events) in Waco and that facility is one the best public facilities I have ever been to.

Talk to you soon!
Chris

timmbuck2
02-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Here in Denver they are trying out a men's tri-level singles league this August. 3.0 - 4.0 - 5.0 singles. Should be interesting!

TB2

volklite
02-13-2007, 01:25 PM
Mississippi is running a test market on this league, unsure when it starts

Bridget
03-23-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm from Arizona and my partner and I participated in the Tri-Level tournament and made it to the finals. We lost in a 3rd set tie-breaker. It was a great tournament. I was disappointed to find out once we got there that some of the teams had brought extras. I was told by our division that next year will be more defined.

Z-Man
03-23-2007, 06:44 PM
We just started a tri-level league in LaGrange, GA. I think it will be a good way to get the 4.5 players involved in a small town local league. In the past, we've been excluded!

TheFranchise
03-27-2007, 07:09 AM
We are going to try and run a 3.5, 4.0, and 4.5 in Bismarck, ND...but the unfortunate thing is that in the Northern section, we have only been told of one other league in the entire section.

damfoto
06-13-2007, 01:05 PM
We are talking about starting up a 3.5, 4.0, 4.5 tri-level league here in El Paso Texas. I would appreciate any input from league coordinators regards setting up the league, i.e. number of players on a team, playoffs/sectionals, section office perhaps paying each local association a fee for each player signed up to play in Tri-level tennis...any input from players too would be appreciated.

tennis-n-sc
06-13-2007, 03:01 PM
I know that Kentucky also has the Tri-Level league, but I don't think the Southern Section does..

We don't have it in South Carolina yet. I think the Georgia women do somthing called 3.75 and I don't know if that is similar or the same. I sorta surprised they are having sectionals and nationals for a league that is not offered nation wide, if in fact they are. I can understand Texas since they are a sectional unto themselvs, and a big one at that.

damfoto
06-14-2007, 08:38 AM

Thanks in advance.

We are getting ready, actually at the talking stage, of implementing Tri-level tennis here in El Paso. How'd you set up your league, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5? How many players are you allowing per team? Is there a limit to the number of players on a team that can advance to the Pilot Penn Championships? What time of the year are you going to play the league? Any info that you have regarding getting your league started would be greatly appreciated.