PDA

View Full Version : Pete's press conference call 1/30/07

Fee
01-31-2007, 08:54 PM
From FastScripts via Bob Larson's Tennis News...

This is a long article, so I'll post the link and one interesting paragraph.

http://www.tennisnews.com/exclusive.php?pID=16785

Q. Justin Gimelstob recently said, based on what he saw from your game, you're now playing the second best ball in all of tennis. Any temptation to suit it up for Wimbledon, a run on the grass?
PETE SAMPRAS: No. I think when we all retire, we all have thoughts of playing again, seeing if you can still compete in today's game. My playing days are over, at least on the ATP Tour. It's a lot of work. It's a whole different lifestyle that I'm done with.
That being said, I am hitting the ball pretty well, been hitting pretty consistently for the past six months. I still can play at a pretty good level. I still feel like I can maybe compete against some of the guys. To take it coming out of retirement is something that is farfetched. Using a bigger racquet, a little technology, has definitely helped as far as power and keeping the ball in the court. It's really amazing what technology has done for the guys today. I'm trying it. It's been fun to experiment with different things.
But to play Wimbledon again is something that really isn't realistic.

Voltron
01-31-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks for posting that Fee, it was a good read!

Voltron
01-31-2007, 08:56 PM
And yes, I read it THAT fast. ;)

VGP
01-31-2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks for the post, Fee.

Your boy Justin's got the closest seat to watch Sampras' return to the game.

Sagittar
01-31-2007, 09:17 PM
nice article , though i'd love to see pete play again ;)

Fee
01-31-2007, 09:29 PM
Thanks for the post, Fee.

Your boy Justin's got the closest seat to watch Sampras' return to the game.

You're welcome. It's a long article, but I thought it was worth the read. How many more times will Pete have to say he is not going to play on the tour again before some people here finally believe him? The longer Justin is off the tour rehabbing his back, the more he gets to work out with Pete. Seems they are both getting a decent workout from it.

psamp14
01-31-2007, 10:11 PM
nice article, thanks fee...:)

i think that as well, that how many times will it take before people realize, when someone retires, they usually dont come back, five years after their last match...

sampras had a perfect ending to his career, and what federer does, if that even means shattering the 14 slam mark, means nothing to sampras

mcenore, connors, and borg are no less of players because sampras passed the 7/8 grand slam mark by age 24 and the 11 grand slam mark by like age 26

VGP
01-31-2007, 10:26 PM
I like how Jim Courier said that after Sampras beat him at the Carson exo, he found out that Pete had changed rackets and strings.

Since they grew up using the same racket, even through the pros, when he found out what Pete had used to beat him, Jim went right out and got the same racked and strings.

(I'm guessing Wilson PS 85 - natural gut to Wilson nCode 6.1 Tour 90 - natural gut mains/Luxilon BB Alu crosses or at least paintjobs and/or custom n90s)