PDA

View Full Version : Facial sweat causing problem with my eyeglasses

Tenny
08-29-2004, 05:34 PM
<Facial sweat causing problem with my eyeglasses>

hi all,
I never had a sweat problem with my hand/arm. Touble happens when I play in this San francisco's wet (playing in a foggy day is a fun!) night time. Doubles is OK but if I play singles, my facial perspiration causes problems because I wear eyeglasses. I cannot see the balls well. Is there anything I can use to keep my eyeglasses clear and clean (kind of removable coating or spray)? Thanks in advance.

Tenny

TennsDog
08-29-2004, 05:52 PM
Problems with sweat is the precise reason I have never worn eyeglasses while playing tennis. I never wore them to play tennis, then when my eyes got too bad to not have them, I got contacts. But, if you do want to continue to wear glasses (and I am not sure what the exact problem is with them), if you are having problems with them fogging up, then try putting some shaving cream (not a lot) on each side of each lens and rub it around for a few seconds and then wipe if off with a cloth. This prevents any condensation from collecting on the lenses. I have used this same thing for my bathroom mirror and also ski goggles. It will have to be reapplied every-so-often, but it works.

mosquito
08-29-2004, 06:14 PM
where in san francisco do you play at night?

skuludo
08-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Use anti-reflective lenses. They have some resistance to fogging up. Also if your sweat drips on to your glasses wear a bandana.

Golden Retriever
08-29-2004, 08:24 PM
wear a hat backward

kevhen
08-30-2004, 07:46 AM
headband? Would that help your situation? It would keep sweat from dripping down your forehead into your glasses. Contacts might be a better choice if that's an option for you.

jayserinos99
08-30-2004, 08:05 AM
^^^ yeah, i'd like to know where people play in the city; i go there every so often but it's hard to find a match.

as for the tip with the glasses, thx tennsdog i'm going to try that with my oakleys and see if that works.

Tenny
08-30-2004, 08:53 AM
Problems with sweat is the precise reason I have never worn eyeglasses while playing tennis. I never wore them to play tennis, then when my eyes got too bad to not have them, I got contacts. But, if you do want to continue to wear glasses (and I am not sure what the exact problem is with them), if you are having problems with them fogging up, then try putting some shaving cream (not a lot) on each side of each lens and rub it around for a few seconds and then wipe if off with a cloth. This prevents any condensation from collecting on the lenses. I have used this same thing for my bathroom mirror and also ski goggles. It will have to be reapplied every-so-often, but it works.

Whoa, Tennisdog, Thnx! yes. I am going to try this. Would it be OK for the lenses though? My forehead or other parts such as arms are OK. Because of my eyeglasses (Fogging up), facial sweat is the only problem but sometimes, it's serious (I could toss but cannot make a contact well for example). Bandana wouldn't work for me cause my scalp doesn't sweat much. Same for the reversed cap (a la Hewitt). Another reason is the visor part touches my upper back when I bend down. I have to wear glasses, not contacts because I have astigmatism.

Actually I play in Daly city. It's very crowded but if you wait, you will have a chance. It's in the westlake park in daly city. So, there is no place in SF (for night games)? It's a shame...Thanks. I will try two different kind of shaving creams. I might try both for each lense to compare simultanesouly. Thanks!!!
:D

Joe Average
08-30-2004, 01:44 PM
Well, you would know the situation better than anyone. But are you sure you can't wear contacts? I have an astigmatism too, for which I wear a "toric" contact lens (left eye). I wear a regular soft contact for the other, "normal" eye. Contacts aren't expensive, and you can reorder online. I wear glasses, as well, which I prefer. Better for me for reading and writing. But on the court, I prefer contacts. You might check with your ophthalmologist, optician, optometrist ... eye doctor just to be sure. Advances have been made.

ibemadskillzz
08-30-2004, 02:39 PM
Jay,
I wouldn't put shaving cream on the Oakleys if I were you. I have a pair myself and it's not good for the lenses.

Tenny
08-30-2004, 04:11 PM
hi all,

Here is another very affordable reagent we can try. Dish Washing Soap liquid. I am going to try those (Shaving cream: Gillet and Safeway brand, Dish washing soap). I am not that dull so will try them on my old retired eyeglasses. Someone told me to use my own sweat on my glasses but obviously it didn't work.

Tenny.

LoveThisGame
08-30-2004, 04:40 PM
This is an aside on a related topic.

I've always figured that a really hot day was determined by whether, on the serve, if raising my arm with the ball caused drops of sweat to fall from the arm on to my glasses.

papa
08-30-2004, 04:50 PM
Well, I'm one of those people who has tried contacts on several occasions and just never got used to wearing them. Always felt like I had sand in my eyes and it really bothered me. I use Bolle sunglasses with the perscription insert and the sweat/fog is seldom a problem.

Incidently, have you ever tried good old fashion spit?

skuludo
08-30-2004, 08:13 PM
If you definitly must wear glasses then get "Anti-Reflection" lenses. They have resistance to fogging up. When I used it they've never fogged up on me no matter how much I pant.
Are you already using "Anti-Reflection" lenses?

jayserinos99
08-30-2004, 08:35 PM
Jay,
I wouldn't put shaving cream on the Oakleys if I were you. I have a pair myself and it's not good for the lenses.

thx man. i was gonna go to the store and pick some shaving cream up, but decided against it.

tenny, you play in daly city? i normally play at the courts off of gellert when i'm in the area.

Tenny
08-31-2004, 09:28 AM
If you definitly must wear glasses then get "Anti-Reflection" lenses. They have resistance to fogging up. When I used it they've never fogged up on me no matter how much I pant.
Are you already using "Anti-Reflection" lenses?

Hmmm, last time when I got my glasses, I was cheap...I had to spend for Racquets! :(

BTW, Spit? OK, I will try this too.

Shaving cream
Dish washing soap
Spit
Vandana
Reversed cap
Headband
Contact lenses
Anti-reflection lenses...Let's see which will work. Thanks!

Tenny
* Jay and others, I will update after I try some of these. Where is the Gellert? I go to the city only to play tennis. Hope to meet you someday!

raftermania
10-13-2005, 09:47 AM
Tenny, i've just started to play indoors. Have you found a solution?

Tenny
10-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Spit? OK, I will try this too.

Shaving cream
Dish washing soap
Spit
Vandana
Reversed cap
Headband
Contact lenses
Anti-reflection lenses...Let's see which will work. Thanks!

Raftermania,

Spit is too much for a gentleman like me.
Vandana-I don't like it. I believe it caused Agassi's hair loss ^^.
Reversed cap-not a fan of Hewitt and Grosjean. No, it's a joke. I found it hinders serving. Maybe my neck is too short.
Headband-Borg's days are gone or my head is too big.
Contact lenses-I cannot wear it and I don't like to see people wearing it.
Anti-reflection lenses-I am stilll wearing my cheap but cool-looking half frame eyepieces.

It seemed Shaving cream does work (for a while). I haven't tried Soap. Shaving creams are easier to carry, easy to apply and the containers generally look cooler. I am not sure if they are OK for lenses' coating etc tho.

Nowadays, I kinda cover my mouth with my left hand and try to divert my breath downward b/c I figured it's also my breath as well as facial sweat.
So, try shaving cream on your cheapest or uncool glasses first. Good luck!

Bungalo Bill
10-13-2005, 12:58 PM
...have you ever tried good old fashion spit?

LOL, Papa you old dog. Good old fashion spit, I like that one.

There are old fashion solutions to preventing "steam" from fogging up lenses of eye glasses or sunglasses. The truth is it is a hit and miss if something will work or work long. I have tried almost everything on the market and then some when I used to train for triathlons. Steamed up glasses presented a major safety issue when I was often cycling near the beach on a foggy morning.

There are several reasons why your lenses will fog up:

1. There is hot steamy air coming through your eyes when your body warms up.

2. There is steamy air coming through your pores.

Many skiers know that their goggles come with vents to prevent this very thing. In fact, when a skiers googles start fogging up the first thing they check is to see if the vents are clogged up with snow.

Many glasses come with an anti-fog coating. If yours does never use glass cleaner or other "home remedy" aids. Use only a commercial anti-fog prevention solution. This will protect you from ruining your glasses.

Tennis Ball Hitter
10-14-2005, 01:48 AM
you can definielty get non-disposable contacts for any astigmatism, the question is can you get daily/fortnightly disposable ones for your astigmatism.

For the glasses have you tried those anti-fogging solutions you can get from the optometrist? I find they work fine for glasses since my glasses dont wrap around my eyes ie there is plenty room for ventaliation. However, they dont work on my sunnies which wrap around my head.

Might try the shaving cream trick for the sunnies ... how often do you have to apply usually? several times a match or just the once?

snowpuppy
10-14-2005, 05:37 AM
i know what you mean, sweat and the face that the coating is gone in my glasses makes it very foggy. One thing i try to do the give the glasses one good wipe and then don't touch it ever again because your dirty playing hands will probably make it worst. I also try to wear a cap (you can try bandana or head bands) to stop some of the sweat from dropping. And wipe yourself off often. This i think is the cheapest way to go about.

North
10-14-2005, 06:43 AM
There is a product, to prevent fogging of ski goggles, called -honestly- Cat Crap. It really works when I ski to prevent fogging of my goggles or, on warmer days, my glasses. It's sold is most ski shops and you can get it online at some of the camping equipment sites.

10-14-2005, 08:24 AM
Be careful with Anti-fog on your anti-reflective lens, it might take the coating off. Make sure it does not have alcohol or acetone content.

10-14-2005, 08:27 AM
As for anti-sweating, wear a cap.

On your face, just apply sun screen lotion. Where ever you apply the sun screen, sweat will not come off from those area.