PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with moon balls?

topspin
08-29-2004, 09:36 PM
In tounament match situations when the pressure is on and you are completely exhausted, do you try to smash deep moonballs or do you let them bounce and take them short or slice them back? And don't ask me why I'm asking :lol:

JohnThomas1
08-29-2004, 11:46 PM
If you're totally exhausted the less you have to run the better. Take them on the rise with a controlled swing and play a safe shot. I slice my backhands and hit thru my forehands.

Tennis Guy
08-30-2004, 06:31 AM
I usually take them on the rise. Sometimes I stand back and hit overheads though. :)

papa
08-30-2004, 05:17 PM
If your going to let a lob bounce, you might consider a lob return - gives you time to recover. I think the lob return (in this situation)probably is the highest percentage shot when you consider all of the factors involved. Just keep your shot deep.

Agent Smith
09-03-2004, 02:53 AM
If the moon ball is too high for you to handle (e.g. spinny moon balls) then you have to spin it back deep. Just moonball each other until someone gets a short/attackable ball.

kevhen
09-03-2004, 08:52 AM
Does anyone use the moon ball approach shot? It's hard to hit a passing shot off a moon ball, so the approacher can come in part way and then just putaway any short lobs and get back on any deep ones. Does anyone do this with success? I may try working on that again.