PDA

View Full Version : Did Borg quit because of Mcenroe?

Attila the tennis Bum
02-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Did Borg quit because of Mcenroe?

Sagittar
02-03-2007, 10:31 AM
what ?! when ?! How ?????

urban
02-03-2007, 10:40 AM
More because of Gerulaitis. Despite the 15-0 or something record, Vitas was his downfall. 15-0 had no chance against Studio 54.

FiveO
02-03-2007, 10:43 AM
...and The Pusher Terminator returns.

noeledmonds
02-03-2007, 10:53 AM

It is a good question that only Borg really knows the answer to. I however think the answer is no. Borg was mently spent, and just burnt out. Also his physical game took its toll on his body. Mcenroe would probabely have taken a lead in their H2H if Borg had continued, but Borg might have still won a USO, sealing his repuation as one of the GOAT contenders. Borg had nothing to lose at Wimbledon, with 5 titles already, and Mcenroe did not thash him there, just beat him. Then there is the FO, where Borg would probabely have continued to dominate, without even meeting Mcenroe.

stormholloway
02-03-2007, 11:14 AM
They might have met in '84.

I put yes that McEnroe played a role, but Borg was burnt out more than anything. McEnroe wouldn't have sniffed a win against Borg on clay, whereas Borg could compete with Mac on all the other surfaces.

The Gorilla
02-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Never use the word countless unless you really cant count them. Suffice it to say that I read differently. Borg said that after he became #2 in the world behind John Mcenroe he lost interest in Tennis. It was just not the same.

We can argue about this ad nauseum. There is no right answer. I believe that Mcenroe had quite a bit to do with Borgs retiring. You may of course disagree and I respect that.

On the issue of Mcenroes greatness. I am a huge fan. But the fact is that unlike Borg Mcenroe tried to come back. Johnny also became burnt out and took a break for a year. When he came back the door was shut in his face. The sogn on the door read "power tennis". Johnny did not have a chance and never won another grandslam after 1984. Pete and Roger would destroy Mcenroe.

But this is for another debate. In fact it has brought up so much interest I think I have to post it.

let's agree to disagree on that one then.

Interestingly though, lendl,who played borg in the final of rg, couldn't hit the ball quite as hard as borg, and borg was hitting with a wooden racquet!

Add to that stefanki's asertion that lendl was the only one he'd ever seen with a bigger forehand than gonzales and you get an idea of how incredibly successful borg would have been if he'd comeback in '85.

psamp14
02-03-2007, 01:44 PM
i actually do not know much of the borg story, but i do think part of the reason he "quit" was because of mcenroe, and their matches at the us open

also because borg just could not win the us open

Attila the tennis Bum
02-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Interestingly though, lendl,who played borg in the final of rg, couldn't hit the ball quite as hard as borg, and borg was hitting with a wooden racquet!

wow! I never knew that. When did that happen?

Attila the tennis Bum
02-03-2007, 02:56 PM
They might have met in '84.

I put yes that McEnroe played a role, but Borg was burnt out more than anything. McEnroe wouldn't have sniffed a win against Borg on clay, whereas Borg could compete with Mac on all the other surfaces.

I'm not so sure about that. Mcenroe faced a primed up Lendl at the FO. Mac was up 2 sets to zero and like 3-0 or something in the third. Mcenroe almost won that puppy! But them Mcenroe got burned out and took off for a year.

The Gorilla
02-03-2007, 03:42 PM
wow! I never knew that. When did that happen?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Cl3fQgPwU

Ronaldo
02-03-2007, 03:47 PM
Believe Borg, with a very limited tournament schedule, was threatened by the ITF with being forced to qualify for all tournaments including the majors. He decided to leave the bldg.

http://www.hickoksports.com/biograph/borgbjor.shtml

Rabbit
02-03-2007, 03:57 PM

End of Thread.

theace21
02-03-2007, 04:58 PM
Believe Borg, with a very limited tournament schedule, was threatened by the ITF with being forced to qualify for all tournaments including the majors. He decided to leave the bldg.

http://www.hickoksports.com/biograph/borgbjor.shtml

That is how I remember it. Borg wanted to play a very limited schedule, and they wanted he to play an additional 10 tournaments. He said he wouldn't - they forced him into a corner and he didn't give in....

Mick
02-03-2007, 06:04 PM

he sounds like the pusher but he hasn't mentioned about the italian hall of fame writer yet :)

Attila the tennis Bum
02-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Why are you guys all calling me a pusher? I don't understand am I mising something? Please explain.

Serve and Volley
02-03-2007, 06:42 PM
"The strain was too much for Borg, who knew it was never going to be the same again. After losing again to McEnroe in the US Open final two months later, Borg retired from the game." http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/wimbledon_2003/history/2974618.stm

Mick
02-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Why are you guys all calling me a pusher? I don't understand am I mising something? Please explain.

the questions you pose in your thread resemble that of another thread made by "the pusher terminator"

Attila the tennis Bum
02-03-2007, 07:00 PM
the questions you pose in your thread resemble that of another thread made by "the pusher terminator"

I got the idea for this thread from my other thread about whether borg had a 1h bh or 2 h bh. Somehow it got off the topic and everyone was talking about Borg vs. Mcenroe . So I suggested that I would just start a new thread rather then getting off the topic. Check it out:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=115639

Mick
02-03-2007, 07:21 PM
"The strain was too much for Borg, who knew it was never going to be the same again. After losing again to McEnroe in the US Open final two months later, Borg retired from the game." http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/tennis/wimbledon_2003/history/2974618.stm

haha. if that was true, Gonzalez is mentally stronger than the great Bjorn Borg. Federer has beaten him ten times out of ten times and still he has not yet throw in the towel and quit the sport :)

it was Just out
02-04-2007, 03:46 AM
haha. if that was true, Gonzalez is mentally stronger than the great Bjorn Borg. Federer has beaten him ten times out of ten times and still he has not yet throw in the towel and quit the sport :)

Great picture of Bjorn. Where did you get it?

Your analogy however, is not really valid. Borg was #1 in the world and fell to #2.

Gonzalez was never #1 in the world and in fact his standings keep rising even after losing to Roger.

Mick
02-04-2007, 08:48 AM
Great picture of Bjorn. Where did you get it?

Your analogy however, is not really valid. Borg was #1 in the world and fell to #2.

Gonzalez was never #1 in the world and in fact his standings keep rising even after losing to Roger.

You're right. A better player to use in this analogy would be Jimmy Connors.

Borg took the number 1 spot from Connors and Connors' ranking dropped further when McEnroe and Lendl came into the picture. Yet Connors continued to compete until he was 39 years old.

I got the pic somewhere on the web. Check out this site. It has a lot of Borg pics.

http://bjornborgfanforever1.free.fr/cariboost1/

Attila the tennis Bum
02-04-2007, 12:45 PM
You're right. A better player to use in this analogy would be Jimmy Connors.

Borg took the number 1 spot from Connors and Connors' ranking dropped further when McEnroe and Lendl came into the picture. Yet Connors continued to compete until he was 39 years old.

I got the pic somewhere on the web. Check out this site. It has a lot of Borg pics.

http://bjornborgfanforever1.free.fr/cariboost1/

Or an even better one would be John Mcenroe. After Mcenroe became burnt out he returned to the game and had a very hard time just breaking into the top ten. Mcenroe played for another 12 years after Borg retired.

Mick
02-04-2007, 12:52 PM
Or an even better one would be John Mcenroe. After Mcenroe became burnt out he returned to the game and had a very hard time just breaking into the top ten. Mcenroe played for another 12 years after Borg retired.

Yep.

If you play sports, you have to accept the fact that you will lose to some of the players or teams. If you can't accept that, I guess you should pack it up and leave the sport. I am not sure if that was what made Borg quit the game but it could have been one of reasons

EricW
02-05-2007, 11:34 AM
let's agree to disagree on that one then.

Add to that stefanki's asertion that lendl was the only one he'd ever seen with a bigger forehand than gonzales and you get an idea of how incredibly successful borg would have been if he'd comeback in '85.

Uhhh... I jjust watched part of that clip and lendl is hitting it like 10 mph

The Gorilla
02-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Uhhh... I jjust watched part of that clip and lendl is hitting it like 10 mph

type lendl into youtube and watch him play with a graphite racquet.

johnny ballgame
02-05-2007, 01:15 PM

Yes. Get a tape of the US Open final. He couldn't return the lefty serve out wide to his two-hander. Realized it was hopeless and hung it up.