PDA

View Full Version : Viruses

Rabbit
03-10-2004, 04:28 PM
For those who are being sent viruses, there is some protection and recourse. First, Norton Internet Security ($69.00) is great at protecting your computer. It provides you with a firewall and you can block offensive e-mail addresses and it will scan all attachments to e-mails. I have it installed on my PC at home and have found it very useful at blocking the bad things that are out there.

Also, and I will verify this with the PC weenies at work (read network guys), but the e-mails that are sent to you contain an IP address and the originator can be found. I know with Norton Internet security, I can geographically locate any computer in the world that tries to attach to mine. I have not done much investigation of retracing e-mails, but know that it can be done. The Secret Service and FBI do it all the time to incarcerate people who send threatening e-mails.

I will post more if anyone is interested. I am fairly certain that sending viruses is a crime and possibly since the internet is used, it may be a Federal crime.

More to come.

topspin
03-11-2004, 03:25 AM
from what i know, emails can be bounced off many other servers and that would make it impossible to know the true source unless you can follow the boucing path and track it down to the source

NoBadMojo
03-11-2004, 06:05 AM
and the virus sender can easily mask their ip addy anyway i believe, or send from a public location like mailboxes, etc. thanks to rabbit for the gesture of help. ed

Cypo
03-11-2004, 07:28 AM
Another answer is to open a freemail account that you use only for this board and just delete all mail if you don't know the sender or it has an attachment.

strife726
03-11-2004, 10:48 AM
I have been having trouble getting rid of a TROJ_GOLID.A virus :(. I ran a scan check, found it, and deleted it. But my computer is still showing the same problems it had before i deleted them. Weird thing is, the virus scan shows nothing. Does anyone know what do to? (I tried visiting websites and folling steps to remove it, but it didn't seem to work)

@wright
03-11-2004, 11:44 AM
That sucks, strife. Who would do this crap, someone has major problems to be sending viruses to people they don't even know in "real life". I wonder if everyone who visits the board is getting or just those of us who post alot and happen to type something this person doesn't like.

jayserinos99
03-11-2004, 12:06 PM
^^ sorry to hear that strife. if i ever get a virus that can't be cleaned, i just reformat and reload everything.

strife726
03-11-2004, 09:40 PM
Thanks Jay! That seems to have done the trick.

Steve Huff
03-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Have you tried ad aware.com? It has some free downloads to get rid of viruses. My server (comcast) has referred me to this website a couple of times. It seems like a good virus destroyer.