PDA

View Full Version : When Great Whites attack....

doubletrouble
08-30-2004, 01:03 PM
....just as they attack they roll their eyes back.

So many times just before I attack my eyes roll back... well not really but they might as well because my head comes up and I'm looking at the open court not the ball and miss what should be a winner.

I use "hit bounce hit" and really focus on the ball but then I get to that point where I should put it away its like my focus on the ball is disrupted by looking where I want to hit it and not on the ball.

So do you have something you say to yourself or do to keep your eye on the ball?

sanitarium
08-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Congratulations, you just received the worst analogy of the millenium award.

Comparing great white sharks to tennis is ********. I actually thought you meant white players first and you're black or something, but whatever haha.

If you look where you want to hit the ball before you hit it, it won't go there.

Thats like serving and while the ball is in the air youre looking out wide. STRIKE 1!!!!!

Your eye is on the ball until your swing naturally goes up into the ball then you can look at the sun if you want. But don't look where you want to put it, look where it is.

Heres my amazing counter analogy: If you're driving down the street to a store, you don't stare at the store until you get there. You watch the road until you get to the store. TA DA.

perfmode
08-30-2004, 02:30 PM

So many times just before I attack my eyes roll back... well not really but they might as well because my head comes up and I'm looking at the open court not the ball and miss what should be a winner.

I use "hit bounce hit" and really focus on the ball but then I get to that point where I should put it away its like my focus on the ball is disrupted by looking where I want to hit it and not on the ball.

So do you have something you say to yourself or do to keep your eye on the ball?

Wow, you just made no ****ing sense.

doubletrouble
08-30-2004, 05:48 PM
Hey a cool award and a driving tip - thanks

doubletrouble
08-30-2004, 06:35 PM
OK maybe not a great analogy. The point I was trying to make with the shark thing was when a great white attacks they roll back their eyes and close them to protect them just before the strike. This causes them to "miss" or mistake their intended target. They don't see that you are not a seal just before you end up as shark bait.

So its kinda the same thing in tennis how often do you "attack" that easy ball only to take your eye off the ball at last minute and miss it. Hey I see the pros do it too. So maybe there more to it than just "look at the ball".

Bungalo Bill
08-31-2004, 12:20 PM

Once you see the ball you want and you are coming in, you have to zero in on it and use your minds eye for the targeting. Zero in and try and CLEARLY see that ball. Take a short backswing and hit it.

Practicing with cones helps in this area. It allows your mind to "remember" or learn to see without you seeing! The cone targets "burn" impressions in your mind as you practice with them. Your body movement and positioning become automatic to the "cone" in your mind you chose for a target.

Fix the eyes like laser beams and really burn into the ball - track that ball as it comes closer to you, let your minds eye keep the target.