PDA

View Full Version : lost due to cramping...should i have just retired? advice please.

eunjam
02-03-2007, 10:33 PM
you know. i feel like total crap. i lost in the 1st round today due to cramping. i had 5-4 40-15 in the 3rd set and lost it because i couldn't move. i didn't know what to do and the umpire couldn't give me advice.

i took one 3 minute time out. and took a 2nd one blaming my other leg, even though the ump knew i was lying. the opponent was totally cool and felt really bad for me.

should i have just retired as i went on to lose every single point thereafter, except 1 due to opponent's double fault.

btw.....what are you supposed to do? i had no banana. i streched it (my calf muscle) which made it feel better temporarily, but any strain on it just brought back that knife stabbing pain.

i drank 1/2 gallon of gatorade. i thought gatorade had that sodium stuff in it to help prevent dehydration and cramping.

someone said to play through it. and i gave him that look of wanting to shove my racquet through his ear.

i literally almost started crying. 36 year old man crying is not a pretty sight. i was so upset and ****ed at the same time.

i never want to cramp ever again in my life.

Voltron
02-03-2007, 10:39 PM
I would played with honor rather than retired. Eat carbs the day before, eat a banana/strawberry smoothie the day of, damn those are good though. I would not drink a half gallon of anything before my match, that alone could have caused it. Drinking anything with salt stuffs in it WILL make you cramp. Maybe bad water? Too much gatorade? Anyway you did the right thing, unless its a bad injury.

Voltron
02-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Oh, the same thing happened to me in the finals of a recent tourny, I feel your pain.

Cruzer
02-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Once I start getting cramps, generally in my calves during a match they only get worse if I try to continue to play. I have had cramps in my calves a couple of times when I literally could not move. By the time it gets to that point I was done.
If you are not properly prepared before you start playing drinking gatorade or eating bananas after you start getting cramps is too late.

Sagittar
02-03-2007, 11:37 PM
i think you did the right thing , the match was already over and it would have been bad if you retired that late in the match ..
any way try stretching a lot and i think 2 gallons of gatorade are a lot ..

goober
02-04-2007, 05:50 AM
Hey I didn't play you this weekend? :) j/k

you did the right thing at the time. There's not much you could have done more to try to relieve your cramps

If you had two match points and you were in that bad of shape I would have went for ACEs and winners.

The only thing you can do in future is get in better shape

armand
02-04-2007, 06:31 AM
I've never had a leg cramp, maybe once in my life. But I do get cramps in my side, which I think is called a 'stich'(no not the German proununciation). I wonder why that is...

rasajadad
02-04-2007, 06:36 AM
Eunjam,
First of all, you did what you could. You played until you couldn't play any more. Despite my best efforts (Proper food, hydration, and training), I cramp occasionally. Sometimes in the leg, but sometimes in my right hand too.

J011yroger
02-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Hydration is key. I drink constantly the entire day of a match not just during it, try not to drink any coffee (I do in the morning if the match is at night.). If you aren't peeing clear you are doing something wrong. If cramps are a constant problem for you then you can take a multi mineral type vitamin daily and it will help tremendously. Make sure you get a good vitamin from a reputable company like twinlab or something, you would be amazed how much junk is in some of those off brands.

J

migjam
02-04-2007, 09:41 AM
I've gotten this info from two sources, one being a doctor. They both said drinking pickle juice can help when cramping. I haven't tried it yet, because the thought makes me sick, but supposedly it works.

Cindysphinx
02-04-2007, 11:22 AM
I've never cramped.

I lose too fast for that.

rasajadad
02-05-2007, 05:01 AM
I've gotten this info from two sources, one being a doctor. They both said drinking pickle juice can help when cramping. I haven't tried it yet, because the thought makes me sick, but supposedly it works.

Maybe vomiting wards off cramping?

Sakkijarvi
02-07-2007, 12:37 AM
I keep a jar of my favorite cure-all in my bag: Mineral Ice. When a muscle starts acting funky, I smear a dollop of this blue gel on and all is well again. It's gotten me through some matches and I swear by it.

Sakki

ATXtennisaddict
02-08-2007, 01:22 PM
I would played with honor rather than retired. Eat carbs the day before, eat a banana/strawberry smoothie the day of, damn those are good though. I would not drink a half gallon of anything before my match, that alone could have caused it. Drinking anything with salt stuffs in it WILL make you cramp. Maybe bad water? Too much gatorade? Anyway you did the right thing, unless its a bad injury.

Wait, how does drinking Gatorade (to replenish sodium) make you cramp? I thought it's the other way round. Lack of sodium = cramp?

sureshs
02-08-2007, 01:48 PM
So, people here fake injuries too? I thought it was done only at the higher levels.

adlis
02-08-2007, 03:19 PM
looking at your symptoms i am sure this is result of creatine use

Voltron
02-08-2007, 03:22 PM
Wait, how does drinking Gatorade (to replenish sodium) make you cramp? I thought it's the other way round. Lack of sodium = cramp?

I think TOO MUCH gatorade can make you cramp. As far as I know TOO MUCH sodium will also cause cramps. A full gallon before a match is WAY TOO MUCH. AM I USING TO MANY CAPITAL LETTERS????

serveitup911
02-08-2007, 03:25 PM
Trade Secret for cramps = drink a can of Coca-Cola. The Caffeine and sugar will hold off the cramps temporarily. After the match, be sure to rehydrate.

dacrymn
02-08-2007, 03:42 PM
But you know, if not for the all-important honor thing, retiring would have confirmed that you were not lying. I dunno, whatever you wanted to do.
________
marijuana strain strawberry cough (http://trichomes.org/marijuana-strains/deep-chunk-x-strawberry-cough/deep-chunk-x-strawberry-cough)

retrowagen
02-08-2007, 04:12 PM
I think it's fairly well-known that once cramping, any amount of water or Gatorade (water is better) can't help much. The lot is already cast, so to speak. If you have a longer match and a track record of having muscle cramps, just drink enough water through the course of the match, where it can be metabolized properly. Also, bring along a banana. The potassium inside the banana will help stave off cramping, but then again, it must be eaten before the cramping begins. So for your next match, if it goes to three, eat that banana on a changeover between the second and third sets, and drink water on every changeover.

eunjam
02-09-2007, 10:10 AM
So, people here fake injuries too? I thought it was done only at the higher levels.

sorry, but i was doing everything to try to continue my match and win.

my opponent was cool about it and felt really bad.

But you know, if not for the all-important honor thing, retiring would have confirmed that you were not lying. I dunno, whatever you wanted to do.

and you....yeah, i was lying. limping around, screaming in pain. not being able to put pressure at all on my right leg.

i was definitely lying.

especially considering i went to lose the next 2 1/2 games straight to lose the match.

i was lying. you caught me.

is there a priest in tt forum so i can do an online confession?

Raiden.Kaminari
02-15-2007, 06:11 PM

Yes, it's true. And yes, you have to love the alkaline taste.

Back to the original post ... I would play until I couldn't. If I felt that my cramp would lead to yet another injury (rupture another muscle), I would retire immediately.

I recently had a bad cramp and had to retire. It felt like it took me an hour to get off the court. The next group of players came on court before I could vacate it, so I had to get help from some spectators to carry my bag, and lend me their shoulder as I limped off court. Then I had to hire a massage therapist at the club so that the muscle would relax. Luckily, the club had a jacuzzi, so I took a shower and went in there for another hour ... but at night, my body reminded me that I should have retired a lot sooner since I cramped again. Ah well ... I need to be in better shape.

[update: It turns out that I really injured myself by trying to play through my cramp. The cramp was my body saying to me to stop abusing myself. However, I have to agree with Tennezsport that your scenario was "nervous" cramp since you were so close to match point.]

10sfreak
02-15-2007, 06:35 PM
you know. i feel like total crap. i lost in the 1st round today due to cramping. i had 5-4 40-15 in the 3rd set and lost it because i couldn't move. i didn't know what to do and the umpire couldn't give me advice.

i took one 3 minute time out. and took a 2nd one blaming my other leg, even though the ump knew i was lying. the opponent was totally cool and felt really bad for me.

should i have just retired as i went on to lose every single point thereafter, except 1 due to opponent's double fault.

btw.....what are you supposed to do? i had no banana. i streched it (my calf muscle) which made it feel better temporarily, but any strain on it just brought back that knife stabbing pain.

i drank 1/2 gallon of gatorade. i thought gatorade had that sodium stuff in it to help prevent dehydration and cramping.

someone said to play through it. and i gave him that look of wanting to shove my racquet through his ear.

i literally almost started crying. 36 year old man crying is not a pretty sight. i was so upset and ****ed at the same time.

i never want to cramp ever again in my life.
Buddy, I feel your pain. You may be like me, in that you need LOTS of extra salt in your diet (provided it doesn't affect your blood pressure!). I used to be real bad about cramping up (hell, even laughing could cause me to cramp up real bad!). One day, I stayed cramped up, with every muscle in my body cramping, for over 14 hours straight! I actually went to sleep with my muscles still cramped up. The next morning, I did some research, and found out about hyponatremia (low blood sodium) and hypokalemia (low blood potassium). If you're sweating very heavily, and drinking lots of plain water, it can lead to those two conditions. Symptoms include severe cramping. So now, before I play tennis, I dissolve about 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a 12 oz. glass and down it. Also, I take 2 salt tablets every hour of play. I use Thermotabs I get from the Kroger pharmacy (you've got to ask for them - they're not prescription, but they still keep them behind the pharmacy counter). They've got 287mg of Chloride, 180mg of Sodium, and 15mg of Potassium per tablet. This regimen has virtually eliminated my cramping. I need to reemphasize how badly I used to be about cramping - I mean, I cramped a LOT!! One more thing: be sure to keep an eye on your blood pressure if you try this regimen. As I stated earlier, it didn't affect mine, but your body may react differently. Good luck, and if you do try my method, please come back and let us know how it works for you.

TennezSport
02-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Eunjam,

Sounds like you may have been hydrated enough, but suffered the infamous Match Point Jitters; which has been known to make the best players severly cramp. You stated that you were at 5/4 and 40-15, so double match point, and maybe you started thinking about winning before it happened. Then when things don't go right, it makes the cramps feel worse and it can easily spiral out of control.

When you start thinking this way it's best to focus on what got you here and as Billy Jean King has always said, "stay in the moment" and just play the point like all of the others that got you there. Don't let yourself drift into thinking I am about to win this match. Takes practice but it really works.

Best of luck with your matches.

TennezSport :cool: