PDA

View Full Version : More Rating Goofiness

JLyon
02-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Quick question how does someone who was a computer 5.0 in 2006 get a Tournament Rerate to 4.0 even though the player went 2-3 in 5.0 tournament matches??

People wonder why some players hate the ratings system.

raiden031
02-06-2007, 12:35 PM
Did they play 4.0 players and have close scores in any of these five matches?

JLyon
02-06-2007, 12:56 PM
played 5.0 players with exception of one player who did not have a rating, but to jump down 2 levels makes no sense.

Lindros13
02-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Here's another one for comment: Self rated (first-time ever) as a 4.0. Played three doubles matches in a 4.5 league and lost all three matches in straight sets. (Maybe a set or two went to 7-5 or tie-break, but nonetheless lost in straight sets in all three matches). CPU now raises the rating from 4.0 to 4.5. Is that typical?!

raiden031
02-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Here's another one for comment: Self rated (first-time ever) as a 4.0. Played three doubles matches in a 4.5 league and lost all three matches in straight sets. (Maybe a set or two went to 7-5 or tie-break, but nonetheless lost in straight sets in all three matches). CPU now raises the rating from 4.0 to 4.5. Is that typical?!

If they are strong 4.5 players and the score was like 6-3, 6-4. That would make sense that the computer would consider the self-rated player to be at least a weak 4.5.

I don't think it makes any difference what you self-rate at when figuring out your computer-rating. If he self-rated at 4.5 and lost the same matches, do you think he should definitely drop to 4.0?

Lindros13
02-06-2007, 01:14 PM
If they are strong 4.5 players and the score was like 6-3, 6-4. That would make sense that the computer would consider the self-rated player to be at least a weak 4.5.

I don't think it makes any difference what you self-rate at when figuring out your computer-rating. If he self-rated at 4.5 and lost the same matches, do you think he should definitely drop to 4.0?

Clearly stated. I see your point when the reverse is considered. I wouldn't think he should drop from 4.5 to 4.0 under that scenario you described so I guess the increase is justified. Again, good point.

Dunlopkid
02-06-2007, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I think if they were close scores you should be bumped up. After all, I think that when players that are separated by at least .5 NTRP point, the higher player should theoretically bagel or almost bagel the lower player.

Cindysphinx
02-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Medical issue?

I was at a tournament where a player had appealed her sky-high rating because she had developed a heart condition and was on some wicked medication.

PBODY99
02-07-2007, 02:23 AM
Yeah, I think if they were close scores you should be bumped up. After all, I think that when players that are separated by at least .5 NTRP point, the higher player should theoretically bagel or almost bagel the lower player.
The bagel is a little extreme for a point five difference. The calculations are out to three decimal places, but the player never knows that. The result of losing and going up is counterintuitive but is the way the system works.