PDA

View Full Version : tournament question

raiden031
02-06-2007, 02:55 PM
I am thinking of entering a tournament in a few months. It says that it goes from Friday - Sunday. There are a bunch of divisions:

M(35,60)s,SE; NMW(3.0)sd,SE; BG(16)s,SE.

Lets saying I'm entering the 3.0 singles only. How do I know what time to be there, and what would the schedule be like with the assumption that I win every match?

goober
02-06-2007, 03:04 PM
The draw will be posted online with times for every match usually Monday or Tuesday before the tourney.

tennis-n-sc
02-06-2007, 06:26 PM
Depending on the size of the draw, you could play once on Friday, twice on Saturday and twice on Sunday. Of course, you might just play on Friday.;)

raiden031
02-07-2007, 05:37 AM
Do tournaments that start on a friday go on during the day, or do they start in the evenings usually?

tennis-n-sc
02-07-2007, 05:48 AM
Do tournaments that start on a friday go on during the day, or do they start in the evenings usually?

I'm sure they are all different, but around here the smaller tourneys (draw) try to schedule the women's early rounds on Friday with the men's early rounds in the late afternoon or early evening. In the larger tourneys, I have played on Thursday nites and again on Friday mornings. The tournament director can give you some decent estimates on all this based on past experiences. Let us know how do. Most people really enjoy the tournament atmosphere.

oldguysrule
02-07-2007, 09:21 AM
Here in Texas, most of the smaller tournaments reserve Friday as a possibility but try to schedule all of the matches on Saturday and Sunday. The larger tournaments have to play on Friday and usually include matches during the day.

The USTA limits the number of singles and doubles matches that an individual can play in one day. That is why most tournaments include the possibility of Friday play based on the number of entries.

rasajadad
02-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Raiden,
Everything depends on the size of your draw and the size of the other tournaments' draws being played that weekend. The latest draw posting I have encountered was Wednesday. Generally, tournament directors are sensitive to my travel. (I usuallly have to travel to tournaments, stay overnight, etc.) They can only make you play two a day per tournament. If you enter singles and doubles, you might have a long day!

J011yroger
02-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Usually I call and confirm with the tournament director the week of, to see what time I am playing, esp if the draws are not posted. Usually if you submit your application, and tell them when you can/cant play they are cool, and try to help you in local tournaments, once you start playing Cat I/Cat II Nationals then you gotta show up when they say. I ALLWAYS get to the tournament site 1/2 hour early for local tournaments, and even earlier for Nationals. At US Indoor Nationals in Dec, I was chilling in the players lounge watching USO highlights and got called 1/2 hour early and all my stuff was still in my car I had to do the mad dash to retrieve it.

J