PDA

View Full Version : Tendons and Muscles

Thanatos
08-31-2004, 07:39 AM
I'm in my early 30's and play competitive tennis about 2-3 times a week. As I get older I noticed more injuries occur (ear and tear of the body). Does anyone have nutritional advice on what to take to help improve tendons and muscles. I know that taking calcium will help prevent bone factures.

gmlasam
08-31-2004, 08:09 AM
good nutrition alone will not help. You need to have a healthy nutrition and regular exercise. Weight training helps to build muscles, ligaments, and tendons stronger.

netman
09-02-2004, 12:13 PM
As you age, your soft tissues need more time between hard use to recover and rebuild. Thats the reason you rarely see anyone over 30 have much success on the pro tour. The time between matches isn't long enough to allow older players to recover completely. Agassi is an extreme exception and even he acknowledges it will be tough for him to make to the end of this US Open if he has any long matches.

Weight training can help but it also requires longer recovery times as you age, so be careful or you can make things worse. Supplements can help, but only steroids really shorten the tissue recovery and rebuilding period and they have very serious side effects, not to mention their illegality.

Best thing is to look at ways to allow your body more time to recover. Around age 35 is when you see most amateur athletes start to experience serious injuries, especially the ones that still play like they did when they were 18. Wish I had a dollar for every time I heard a 30 something say "Don't know why my [insert joint/muscle/ligament/tendon] blew out. I [insert athletic activity here] everyday and have never had a problem before." :)

Thanatos
09-02-2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks Netman...so I guess the combination of moderate workout and supplements will help me.

netman
09-02-2004, 12:38 PM
All will help, just remember to allow recovery time. If you play a tournament over three days, give yourself 2-3 days off afterwards to recover.

Just to clarify on supplements. There is very little scientific evidence supporting the benefits of most supplements. Best thing to do is experiment and see what works for you. For example, I use Glucosamine and Chondritin for joints. Seems to help me, but I know many other who got no value out of it. Same thing with weights. Don't fall into the bodybuilding trap of focusing on muscles in isolation. Try and do exercises that challenge and strengthen the whole kinetic chain (feet, legs, hips, back), and not just one muscle at a time.