PDA

View Full Version : Arthritis

Fred132
08-31-2004, 11:05 AM
I'm bumming today...just found out that the pain in my wrist (on my dominant side) is caused by arthritis. Apparently the pain has changed my biomechanics as well, resulting in a nice case of TE on the lateral side of the elbow.

I'm going through physical therapy and thinking through ways of coping...changing racquets, strings, tension...even considering trying a switch to my non-dominant arm.

Has anyone else dealt with this problem? Any ideas??

netman
09-02-2004, 11:52 AM
You didn't give your age, but I've found that arthritis is the fallback diagnosis for most doctors when they can't pinpoint a joint related problem in someone. Almost everyone (including non-athletes) experiences the pain of joint wear and tear (arthritis) as they age. Unfortunately, arthritis tends to show up earlier in folks who have been active athletes. Knees, backs, wrists, shoulders, hips and ankles are all at increased risk in tennis players.

Main thing to remember is you'll never be able to restore it back to the way it was. But thats no reason you can't keep playing. All your ideas are good ones (not sure about changing hands :) ). You may have to reduce the length of playing time per session, change technique, wear a support, and use ice/anti-inflammatories after play, but as long as it isn't rheumatoid arthritis, you should be able to work around it.

Good luck.

Fred132
09-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Thanks, netman.

Had a longer chat with my doc...turns out he plays tennis, too. He suggested most of the things you did...also said to consider going to a large grip size, and recommended trying glucosamine (which I already take). He also thought I should switch to gut.

Marius_Hancu
11-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Thanks, netman.

Had a longer chat with my doc...turns out he plays tennis, too. He suggested most of the things you did...also said to consider going to a large grip size, and recommended trying glucosamine (which I already take). He also thought I should switch to gut.

Try Glucosamine in liquid format (say from Syn-Flex), better absorbtion.

Gut - good idea.