PDA

View Full Version : K Factor 6.1 16X18 vs. 18X20

mqtennis
02-07-2007, 05:58 AM
Is there a consensus as to which one plays better?

basil J
02-07-2007, 06:59 AM
i thought in the ncode series, the 18 x 20 played much better , but was harsh on my shoulder. I have the kfactor coming on a demo and will do a full review on it once I get it.

TalkingTennis91
02-07-2007, 12:55 PM
Is there a consensus as to which one plays better?

The one with the better player swinging it plays a little better;)

WhiteSox05CA
02-07-2007, 01:18 PM
The 16x18 nCode was more popular. I would be surprised if that changed for the (K)Factors. Aren't they EXACTLY the same except for stringing pattern? Which one is best is determined by the player's game style.

SamBruin
02-07-2007, 04:19 PM
With stiffer rackets I prefer a more open string pattern because it feels less boardy.

Buckeye10s
02-07-2007, 07:00 PM
The 18x20 should have a stiffer stringbed because of the extra strings. Most people feel that having a denser pattern will give you more spin and control, while the open pattern will give you more power. I have the 16x18, but will hit with the 18x20 demo soon. IN the nCodes I really liked the feel of the 18x20, but couldn't tll that much of a difference from the 16x18. The best way would be to demo both at the same time and switch back and forth. Another added benefit to the 18x20... less string movement leads to longer string life! :-o

stormholloway
02-07-2007, 08:43 PM
I don't think anyone believes a denser pattern gives you more spin. More control and power perhaps, but definitely not spin.

Noisy Ninja
02-07-2007, 08:54 PM
I don't think anyone believes a denser pattern gives you more spin. More control and power perhaps, but definitely not spin.
Yup, the 16X18 should provide more bite onto the ball and hence more spin potential. 18X20 pattern would be of interest more to chronic string breakers and those who like a stiffer feeling stringbed.

basil J
02-12-2007, 09:01 AM
I played a couple of hours this weekend with the 18 x 20 kfactor. I play tested it against My Redondo MP. I used the ncode 18 x 20 last year for about 8 mos before my shoulder couldn't take it any more. I have some floating cartlidge and arthritis in my right shoulder and the ncode is the only frame that I have used to date that really irritated it. I can play 5 days in a row with the Redondo with no issues whatsover. That being said, the ncode was my all time favorite playing frame until I had to stopped using it. I tried endless string combos to try to ease the shock but it ulitmately was too stiff for me. Needless to say I was quite anxious to try out the kfactor. Here are my initial thoughts after 2 1 hour sessions with it:
The frame has a higher swingweight and it feels like a longer handle than the ncode. I like the Kfactor grip. No need for overgrip, but I did notice that a 4 1/2" felt large. The racquet feels great in hand, but I think the paint job makes it look like a $29.99 Kmart special.

Groundstrokes: With Kfactor I found a good mix of power and control. It is much more muted than the Ncode or my Redondo. It came with wilson reaction strings which felt like crap, so better strings may have improved the feel. The frame has a heavier swing weight than the ncode or redondo and it plays a little head heavier than both. Spin generation for me was easier to produce with the Ncode and my Redondo, but I still was able to produce top and slice pretty much at will. The racquet feels less solid, but stiffer than the Ncode or the Redondo. Minimal vibrations on mishits. Score 7.5/10

Serves: After I adjusted to the swing weight, I was serving bombs with this frame. I loved serving with the Ncode and the Kfactor was just as much fun. I was getting good pace, spin and control easily with the Wilson.Score 9.5/10

Return of serve:because the frame plays stiff, I sent a lot of blocked balls back long that would have stayed down with my flexy Redondo. When I had time to line up a return, I was sending back a lot of 2nd serves aggressively with good placement. Control is better with my redondo, power was better with the Kfactor. With more practice, I could return as well with either frame.
Score 7.5/10

Volleys: The Kfactor was great at the net when I was set up well. Because it is stiffer than the Redondo, I could really put away my volleys well when I was in position and in balance. The redondo is more forgiving on mishits, but not as effective for putaways. Score 8.5/10

Overall, I found the Kfactor decent and with good strings I think that it could be decent all court frame that could really give me a boost in serving over my current Redondo. I had better overall control with my PK, more power and aces with the Wilson. I am using it a couple of more times before I send it back to see if it aggravates my shoulder at all. At $189.00 it would have to perform exceptionally well for me to consider switching from my Redondo's, but I definitely can see myself getting a lot more free points and serving and volleying more with the Wilson. Right now, I feel that the Wilson is just a touch too muted for my tastes, but with the right string combo I could probably adjust. I will follow up again with more next week to report on the comfort of the Kfactor. No shoulder pain could sway me to take a harder look at this frame. After 2 hours of hitting I had a twinge of soreness, but nothing that needed Ice or Ibuprofen.