PDA

View Full Version : raul ramirez???

grizzly4life
02-08-2007, 12:35 PM
was looking thru the sports almanac at the bookstore (should probably buy it but i buy some many books already).

anyhow, looking thru the tennis section and i knew every name in the top 10 of every year except raul ramirez. and he was #5 in a later 1970's year... i should remember him. what country was he from??

anyhow, some pretty funny names in the top 10 1970's list... didn't realize that jan kodes (who i've barely heard of, won the french open twice... although i think we had some thread about him winning a boycotted championships)

LttlElvis
02-08-2007, 01:22 PM
Raul Ramirez was Mexican-American. I think he played college tennis at USC. I am not sure but I believe he was born in Southern California, but played Davis Cup for Mexico.

Jan Kodes won Wimbledon during the boycotted year (1973). He got to the finals of a couple U.S. Opens in the early 70s.

atatu
02-08-2007, 01:46 PM
Ramirez played doubles with Brian Gottfried and they were a great team. What I remember about him was he had stylish strokes, long hair, and he used the Red Head Pro....

Mountain Ghost
02-08-2007, 02:39 PM
Raul Ramirez was from Mexico, but he stayed with a family in La Jolla and went to high school there. At the time San Diego (and La Jolla High School) had some of the best juniors in the country, so he got to work out and play with the some great players.

MG

coolhandluke
02-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Raul never used the red head pro. Jack kramer auto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

urban
02-23-2007, 11:31 PM
Best Mexican player after Rafa Osuna. Won Rome and the whole Grand Prix series one year and was Nr.5 in the world in the mid 70s. As it is said, great doubles team with Gottfried, Wim winners, i think. Very stylish, elegant, amost silky player.

Q&M son
04-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Great tennis, winner in 1976 of the Grand Prix. Tremendous doubles player.

Tshooter
04-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Nice Semi-Western heavy 70s style topspin forehand.
Top ten for a while in the mid to late seventies.
When ABC used to do the exhibitions from Hilton Head with Borg and Nastase and others, he was included. Had one of those Tom Selleck/Magnum P.I. style mustaches if I remember.