PDA

View Full Version : recommendations for my match tonight

raiden031
02-09-2007, 10:13 AM
I have a match tonight in 6.0 mixed. I am 0-2 right now and am wondering if I should change my strategy. Previously I played the positions not the people, so I never hit a ball towards the weaker player simply because they were the weaker player. I guess that was a mistake. In both matches the female opponents were pretty weak and basically floated right up at the net even though I had some powerful returns (that I always directed towards the baseline player). Should I pound those at the woman, assuming she is weak like the previous opponents? I don't feel right about it, but its probably going to help me win. Do I hit it softer since I am hitting it right at them, to lessen the chances it causes injury if it hits them?

Cindysphinx
02-09-2007, 10:28 AM
I don't know what to tell you. I'll be interested to hear what others say.

In my one mixed match, the guy hit hard at me at net twice. One I volleyed for a winner; one I blew, framing it. Had he pasted me between the eyes, I would have been highly irritated at myself for being asleep and having my racquet down. Then again, it's 7.0 mixed, so perhaps the women are expected to know what they're doing?

One tip for you, though: lob the ladies' backhand (and hit groundstrokes to it if you have the opportunity). We 3.0 women often have highly suspect backhands. Blasting it down the line (either side) rather than at her will also yield big rewards.

Good luck!

raiden031
02-09-2007, 10:33 AM
I don't know what to tell you. I'll be interested to hear what others say.

In my one mixed match, the guy hit hard at me at net twice. One I volleyed for a winner; one I blew, framing it. Had he pasted me between the eyes, I would have been highly irritated at myself for being asleep and having my racquet down. Then again, it's 7.0 mixed, so perhaps the women are expected to know what they're doing?

One tip for you, though: lob the ladies' backhand (and hit groundstrokes to it if you have the opportunity). We 3.0 women often have highly suspect backhands. Blasting it down the line (either side) rather than at her will also yield big rewards.

Good luck!

I am horrible at lobbing, so hitting the ball right at them would be higher percentage. Down the line would work depending on where they are standing.

How would you feel if a male opponent blasted every shot right at you? Would you take it personally?

tennismike33
02-09-2007, 10:43 AM
I have played mixed doubles a few times, and the things that I have found to help is don't change your game to fit around a specific person on the other side of the net. Focus on things you and your partner do well. Get to the net, keep the ball low. Serving you should keep the ball in the middle of the box, that way the percentages say it is coming back crosscourt and you should be in a good position to volley the return. I am not big on lobbing, becasue my lob is terrible. Remember to advise your partner to close off the middle of the court, keep the racket in the ready position and just keep getting the ball back, make that team hit the extra ball.

Cindysphinx
02-09-2007, 10:45 AM
I am horrible at lobbing, so hitting the ball right at them would be higher percentage. Down the line would work depending on where they are standing.

How would you feel if a male opponent blasted every shot right at you? Would you take it personally?

I'd be thrilled. I like to volley. I would inch closer and closer so as to get even better angles.

raiden031
02-09-2007, 10:46 AM
I have played mixed doubles a few times, and the things that I have found to help is don't change your game to fit around a specific person on the other side of the net. Focus on things you and your partner do well. Get to the net, keep the ball low. Serving you should keep the ball in the middle of the box, that way the percentages say it is coming back crosscourt and you should be in a good position to volley the return. I am not big on lobbing, becasue my lob is terrible. Remember to advise your partner to close off the middle of the court, keep the racket in the ready position and just keep getting the ball back, make that team hit the extra ball.

My partner quit so I am playing with a new partner tonight. I know that from my last two matches, the only thing I do well are groundstrokes from the baseline.

The problem is that when I return, I hit it cross court to the baseline player because typically that is the safer shot. But I'm already an inconsistent doubles player so I could easily make a UE as soon as the ball comes back again. If I just aim it right for a weak net player, then I am more likely to end the point or put them on the defensive immediately. I am just questioning whether I should aim straight at them at full pace or near them, but not at them directly.

Cindysphinx
02-09-2007, 10:49 AM
How come you have trouble with that second ball? Do they catch you in no-man's land or something?

BTW, when I say lob the backhand, remember that this shot doesn't have to be a moonball. A high backhand volley is a tough shot for lots of players, and if they can't reach it comfortably, the baseline may not even be able to reach it.

raiden031
02-09-2007, 10:49 AM
I'd be thrilled. I like to volley. I would inch closer and closer so as to get even better angles.

Haha no you wouldn't. What if the ball had so much pace you could barely react in time? You would have no choice but to sit back. Imagine if that returner was up at the service line as well doing a full groundstroke. During my last match, I was returning from the service line against both the woman's serves and the man's second serve. I had so many kill opportunities.

raiden031
02-09-2007, 10:51 AM
How come you have trouble with that second ball? Do they catch you in no-man's land or something?

BTW, when I say lob the backhand, remember that this shot doesn't have to be a moonball. A high backhand volley is a tough shot for lots of players, and if they can't reach it comfortably, the baseline may not even be able to reach it.

No, I am just very inconsistent in doubles. I feel too much stress.

I'm used to my lob being converted into an overhead smash about 80% of the time, so I am reluctant to use it even when in a situation where an overhead would be difficult.

Cindysphinx
02-09-2007, 10:55 AM
Haha no you wouldn't. What if the ball had so much pace you could barely react in time? You would have no choice but to sit back. Imagine if that returner was up at the service line as well doing a full groundstroke.

Heh, heh.

I like pace. Just splitstep, stick that racquet out, block the ball into that huge chasm between the two players, and good things will happen.

Extreme topspin, I'm not so fond of at the net. You can give me fits with topspin shots that dip below the netstrap.

raiden031
02-09-2007, 10:58 AM
Heh, heh.

I like pace. Just splitstep, stick that racquet out, block the ball into that huge chasm between the two players, and good things will happen.

Extreme topspin, I'm not so fond of at the net. You can give me fits with topspin shots that dip below the netstrap.

I appended to that quote. The returner is up at the service line, you still want that pace?

Cindysphinx
02-09-2007, 11:05 AM
Mmmm, probably. I'd have my racquet right in front of my face, though.

I dunno, I've never backed off from the net. Why start now? I mean, if someone tags me at the net, I wake up and move up. This usually helps me get the next one, and then they stop. Then again, I haven't seen your groundstrokes. . . .

Overheads are another whole kettle of fish, though. I bail out on those if I can't get back fast enough.

raiden031
02-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Mmmm, probably. I'd have my racquet right in front of my face, though.

I dunno, I've never backed off from the net. Why start now? I mean, if someone tags me at the net, I wake up and move up. This usually helps me get the next one, and then they stop. Then again, I haven't seen your groundstrokes. . . .

Overheads are another whole kettle of fish, though. I bail out on those if I can't get back fast enough.

I know that if my partner has a weak serve and the returner has powerful groundstrokes, I have to stand back at the service line because I can't react quick enough if they hit it at me.

Cindysphinx
02-09-2007, 11:29 AM
So what's the plan for tonight? You comin' in, you stayin' back? You goin' for broke, you playin' the percentages? And what's Plan B if you lose the first set?

raiden031
02-09-2007, 11:35 AM
So what's the plan for tonight? You comin' in, you stayin' back? You goin' for broke, you playin' the percentages? And what's Plan B if you lose the first set?

Here is my plan.

I'm going to serve slower than normal because I have been double faulting alot the last two matches. When playing for fun, I mix up between S&V and staying back until getting a short ball, but S&V screws up my serve sometimes (anxious to move up) so I might refrain from it unless we're losing bad.

When returning, if the male has an attackable serve, I will probably mix it up between returning to the baseline and hitting it at the woman, depending on which is more successful.

I will probably hit the woman's serve to the baseline every time regardless. I am more likely to hit an UE when at the net because my volleying is a bit weak, so I will only come up when I get a short ball that really makes me come up.

If I lose the first set, I am going to increase the speed of my serve and my groundstrokes in hopes that I get in my "don't care" mode that I am in when I practice.

The good news is that I have already figured out what my performance is going to be in this league, so it doesn't matter as much to me if I win or lose anymore. It doesn't matter anyways because it doesn't affect my rating. Its just practice for the spring leagues.

Cindysphinx
02-09-2007, 11:39 AM
Here is my plan.

When returning, if the male has an attackable serve, I will probably mix it up between returning to the baseline and hitting it at the woman, depending on which is more successful.

Can you also step in and whip the second serve service return for a huge angle? Might give 'em fits.

Also, I've been able to turn matches around by switching sides for receiving for the second set. Might be worth a try if your partner's OK with it. . . .

I'll be pulling for ya!

raiden031
02-09-2007, 11:41 AM
Can you also step in and whip the second serve service return for a huge angle? Might give 'em fits.

Also, I've been able to turn matches around by switching sides for receiving for the second set. Might be worth a try if your partner's OK with it. . . .

I'll be pulling for ya!

I don't like going for too much angles on the service return because I tend to overhit as it is. I usually return pretty deep against these 6.0 mix players which causes them problems as the ball hits near their feet if they try to come up or even step too far into the baseline.

Oh yeah thats a given. We always do that after a bad set.

Cindysphinx
02-09-2007, 11:44 AM
Wait! I've got it.

I'll drive out, and we'll tell them I'm your partner. They'll never be the wiser.

Then when I cause you to lose, we can put it under your partner's Tennislink results. A win-win for me. :) :)

raiden031
02-09-2007, 11:48 AM
Wait! I've got it.

I'll drive out, and we'll tell them I'm your partner. They'll never be the wiser.

Then when I cause you to lose, we can put it under your partner's Tennislink results. A win-win for me. :) :)

So what will my real partner be doing (who happens to be the captain)?

Cindysphinx
02-09-2007, 12:03 PM
So what will my real partner be doing (who happens to be the captain)?

She can, erm, go gas up my minivan. By the time she gets back, we'll have double-bageled those guys.

Relax and have fun out there!

Netgame
02-09-2007, 12:33 PM
Here is my plan.

I'm going to serve slower than normal because I have been double faulting alot the last two matches. When playing for fun, I mix up between S&V and staying back until getting a short ball, but S&V screws up my serve sometimes (anxious to move up) so I might refrain from it unless we're losing bad.

I will probably hit the woman's serve to the baseline every time regardless. I am more likely to hit an UE when at the net because my volleying is a bit weak, so I will only come up when I get a short ball that really makes me come up.

If I lose the first set, I am going to increase the speed of my serve and my groundstrokes in hopes that I get in my "don't care" mode that I am in when I practice.

The good news is that I have already figured out what my performance is going to be in this league, so it doesn't matter as much to me if I win or lose anymore. It doesn't matter anyways because it doesn't affect my rating. Its just practice for the spring leagues.
Sounds to me like you just have to improve your skills. Slow down your serve? Your volleying is weak. You don't like to lob. Just have fun.
Hit a few shots at the netman into the body or backhand. Try to lob the girl, if she gets it, it's a weak shot. Don't slow down your serve, just hit with more topspin. Good luck.

raiden031
02-11-2007, 03:11 AM
So we won our match that night. It wasn't pretty at first but we had a nice come back. We started off 1-5 and won 11 games in a row and ended up winning in straight sets. The greatest part about this was that the team was undefeated and we had a losing record, and we beat them 3-0, doesn't get better than that. I could tell their captain who was a nice guy was disappointed.

I didn't hit directly at the woman because my opponents were too nice. I started off hitting my second serve as my first, and was not double faulting so I ended up speeding it up to my normal first serve later in the match.

J011yroger
02-11-2007, 03:59 AM
Congrats on the win. As far as hitting at the net person, here is how I do it. Firstly a disclaimer. I play a decent amount of Pro-Am dubs, and friendly mixed at levels lower than mine, and that is what I am talking about, when I play with the boys it is no holds barred. Secondly, I am a vastly superior singles player, but play dubs when that is what is available, or when I have to for a Pro-Am, or to fill in with a group lesson, so any strategic dubs advice you get out of me should be taken with a grain of salt. If the net player is weak, and doesn't volley particularly well, or something like that which would make her an easy target, easy point but she is being a "Good Soldier" staying in her position, not poaching, not faking, not moving around, and just does her job of picking off any floaters or playing balls hit to her, then I will always return cross-court, or just roll one down the line past her if I am feeling showy, or if we need the point. On the other hand, if she starts jumping around to make a distraction, or decides that she is going to fake a poach, or try to poach, then I have no problem sending one at her. The way I see it, you can't have it both ways, if you stay in your position, and be a good soldier, then I wont do anything to make you uncomfortable, but if you decide that you want to play the net, and be aggressive then you have to be willing to accept the full responcibility.

Obviously though, I would never do it in a manner that would hurt someone, just to keep them honest. Wouldn't want anyone to think that I was hitting 100+mph service returns/overheads at a 3.0 net player. As a teaching pro/tournament player, my sportsmanship/on court conduct is much much more important to me, and my peers than wins and losses.

J

Cindysphinx
02-11-2007, 06:47 AM
Congratulations, Raiden!!

See, mixed doubles isn't so bad. :D

What did you guys do to turn it around and run off 11 games in a row?

raiden031
02-12-2007, 02:15 AM
Congratulations, Raiden!!

See, mixed doubles isn't so bad. :D

What did you guys do to turn it around and run off 11 games in a row?

My partner had an excellent return game and I was able to poach their next shot alot. Both of them had trouble with my serve when I sped it up, and most of my firsts were going in. We weren't making alot of UEs during that streak. Although after the streak we were up 5-0 and lost 3 games because we sort of fell apart again.