PDA

View Full Version : Look at these Agassi strokes

chrisdaniel
02-09-2007, 01:08 PM
not sure if anyone has posted this link.I found it on YouTube...its of Andre practicing with someone a few months ago for the james blake expo...

Im always amazed with the ease and pure ball striking of Agassi,it sucks that his back went out cause he could still be doing alot of damage out on tour...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDpOnM3u7vY

Borat
02-09-2007, 01:12 PM
Its kinda cool when you see tennis vids outside of birds eye view. You realize how hard these guys are actually hitting the ball. I love watching agassi play.

raiden031
02-09-2007, 01:13 PM
not sure if anyone has posted this link.I found it on YouTube...its of Andre practicing with someone a few months ago for the james blake expo...

Im always amazed with the ease and pure ball striking of Agassi,it sucks that his back went out cause he could still be doing alot of damage out on tour...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDpOnM3u7vY

It looks so much more graceful from that angle than from the typical angle they show pro matches. Look at the speed of the racquet, its just incredible. I mean thats easily a 4.5 stroke!

Swissv2
02-09-2007, 01:14 PM
great strokes, though his body movement is a bit stiff.

southpaw
02-09-2007, 01:17 PM
I think the guy he is hitting with is an Old Dominion University player. Even in warmup you realize how clean a ball striker Agassi is.
I stumbled upon the original video a little while ago; much better quality. Also has a couple clips of Boyd Tinsley from the Dave Matthews Band.

http://www.darrylcummings.com/hamptonroadstennis/

drakulie
02-09-2007, 01:57 PM
It looks so much more graceful from that angle than from the typical angle they show pro matches. Look at the speed of the racquet, its just incredible. I mean thats easily a 4.5 stroke!

Whats funny is that if the vid wouldn't have a title, and AA would have been on the far side of the vid the entire time, there probably would be people saying 4.5. LMAO.

stormholloway
02-09-2007, 02:31 PM
He looks good to me. I love Andre's ball striking.

jmsx521
02-09-2007, 03:14 PM
Agassi on 1st gear there; forget about shifting to 2nd... it's just practice. Also, notice how far behind the baseline he is.

chrisdaniel
02-09-2007, 03:30 PM
yeah Im aware of him being on a low gear here...but the point is how smooth and pure his ball striking is....listen how the sound is consistant,and loud...and how much power he puts with minimal force...not a 4.5 stroke...an Andre Agassi stroke

The Gorilla
02-09-2007, 04:09 PM
it's interesting how he hits with a closed stance most of the time.

jc_rex
02-09-2007, 10:21 PM
very cool video! thanks for sharing!

Viper
02-09-2007, 11:33 PM
I think the most remarkable thing about the video is how Andre makes the ball just barely skim over the net.

Sagittar
02-10-2007, 03:27 AM
just look at his net clearence , damn ...

BiGGieStuFF
02-10-2007, 07:04 AM
I love how they still say sorry when they hit an erracic shot :). Feels like just regular people instead of robotic tennis machines. Plus the "i have a bad habit of hitting winners." hahahahah

lorenza
02-10-2007, 07:25 AM
did he really say that? "i have a bad habit of hitting winners"?

BiGGieStuFF
02-10-2007, 07:33 AM
did he really say that? "i have a bad habit of hitting winners"?

Watch the video on the website that guy posted up a few posts. It's got the direct link to the higher quality video.

krprunitennis2
02-10-2007, 07:37 AM
yeah Im aware of him being on a low gear here...but the point is how smooth and pure his ball striking is....listen how the sound is consistant,and loud...and how much power he puts with minimal force...not a 4.5 stroke...an Andre Agassi stroke

O.o and it doesn't even look like he's really trying to hit it hard!

lorenza
02-10-2007, 07:38 AM
Watch the video on the website that guy posted up a few posts. It's got the direct link to the higher quality video.

hahaha, i cant believe he would say that, but then again, he was just kidding. thanks :)

WhiteSox05CA
02-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Darn you! I already posted that video in the "Tennis Tips/Instruction" section. He doesn't have much of a follow-through, but he still gets so much power and spin- even in a casual hitting session. Yeah-Yeah Andre!

AndyC
02-10-2007, 10:14 AM
it's interesting how he hits with a closed stance most of the time.

yes but look at the rotation through the hips before the contact. the stance might be close but that rotation coupled with the spot on timing makes each stroke a work of art. he is truly one of the cleanest ballstrikers ever.

HLM2
02-10-2007, 06:26 PM
How does he hit that two-handed backhand? I noticed one thing was that his wrists, both of them didnt seem to lower in his preparation, unlike most times I see people do that for topspin, to get the racquet face below the ball before striking. Does not bending your wrists (vertical wise) have a big affect on your shot?

tarheels2323
02-11-2007, 06:39 AM
How does he hit that two-handed backhand? I noticed one thing was that his wrists, both of them didnt seem to lower in his preparation, unlike most times I see people do that for topspin, to get the racquet face below the ball before striking. Does not bending your wrists (vertical wise) have a big affect on your shot?

There's two ways of hitting a two handed backhand as far as wrists go, and it's all really preference. There's cocked, where the wrists remain relatively still and in an upright (best way I can describe it) position. Then, there's the rounded wrists, where the racquet face drops below the ball and you whip the racquet upwards into the shot. Sorry if that's not very clear, it's really something that you have to be shown.

HLM2
02-11-2007, 10:27 AM
No thats really clear, exactly what Im talking about. The cocked style, is that the way agassi hits his? It seems the players who get more power use the cocked style?
How do you get topspin on the cocked style shot?

thor's hammer
02-12-2007, 08:32 AM
I love how they still say sorry when they hit an erracic shot :). Feels like just regular people instead of robotic tennis machines. Plus the "i have a bad habit of hitting winners." hahahahah

I attended an adult tennis camp at UC Santa Barbara summer of 2000, and Rod Laver came out for a day. Shared a lot of stories, and hit for a few minutes with each camper, and also played a few games of doubles with campers. He too said "sorry". It's universal! ;-)

That was the summer Sampras won his 13th major at Wimbledon, and I remember watching it on a dorm lounge tv with other campers. Then a day or two later his sister Stella showed up, (if I recall correctly she had been there at Wimbledon with their parents), and she ended up being the Coach for my group of campers!!

What a great experience that was! ;-)