PDA

View Full Version : more FH opinions...

Bach3387
09-01-2004, 09:30 AM
i was at the US Open recently and i noticed that the grips of many players, and not if it was SW or western. i noticed that many hold the racquet like a hammer and hold it in there fingers. do you agree with this, and how are you really supposed to hold the raquet? like a hammer, in the fingers, in the palm, or what?

also i noticed there swing paths as they came through the ball. it looked like they go straight through it and at the last second they use their forearm and wrist to brush up severely to put topspin on this. should an average player do this or should they come from real low to real high to get topspin? thanks

TennsDog
09-01-2004, 05:12 PM
It depends on your style and what type of shot one is trying to accomplish. I love to use a lot of topspin on my shots to get more pace so I use a western grip and really snap the racket head up during contact. It takes more time to master the timing and racket path than flatter shots, but I think it works just fine for the average player.

finchy
09-01-2004, 06:04 PM
im starting to emulate the pro's in what u said bach. im mostly driving through the ball and adding my topspin last. it helps alot when u drive the butt of the racquet directly at the ball. a full shoulder turn is also necessary to the needed power for the shot.

Exci
09-02-2004, 03:17 AM
Isn't the swingpath you indicate just a proper path for either a semi- or a full western forehand? When I see top ranked locals do this it just seems like a natural movement to me, but it could be that I'm completely missing the point here...

Oh and I saw Paradorn (can't be bothered to spell his name, so it's Paradorn for now.. :roll:) do some training at a tourney last year and he held the butt halfway in his palm. I tend to play like that from time to time as well. I reckon it increases the leverage and thus increases the power, but I squeeze a bit too hard so I end up hurting my fingers..

finchy
09-02-2004, 01:36 PM
doing that actually helps to whip the racquet around, generating more racquet head speed, in turn, generating more spin on the ball and power.

and yes, exci, what i just described was the proper way (i hope) for a swingpath with semi/full western grip.

i am using a semi-western grip though.