PDA

View Full Version : Bringing heat, so I can bring heat.

J011yroger
02-10-2007, 06:54 PM
Hey all, we have been having some mighty cold weather up here in the north east. And, no, I do not want to hear how nice it is in FL or SoCal, I am jealous enough without your taunting thanks ;). I have a lot of trouble getting loose to play coming in out of the cold, and having to drive to a tournament, then have only a 5 minute warmup it takes me almost the first set to get rockin and rollin. My biggest problem is getting my shoulder/arm loose to get the sting into my shots. It is tough to get that "Liquid Arm" thing going on when you are only playing once or twice a week, and it is 15 degrees out. If I can, I will hit for 1/2 hour or so about an hour before I am scheduled to play, but it isn't always possible. Last match I strapped one of those microwave heating pads to my shoulder, about 2 hours before match time, and kept it on until I walked out onto the court. I think it helped a lot but it still took some time to get loose. Most of the facilities don't have exercise rooms to I can ride a bike to get warm, and it is way cold out to be jumping rope. Does anyone else who plays in cold weather have a similar problem, and have you found a solution?

J

Voltron
02-10-2007, 06:56 PM
I usually turn my car heat WAY up on the drive over, until I begin to sweat a little. But normally I just play for a half hour to an hour before.

Hughy86
02-11-2007, 05:20 PM
Yea I was wondering this also, it was 48deg the other night here in Florida, and I almost put on a long sleeve shirt. Instead I drank come hot cocoa before and was fine. (Sorry couldn't resist.)

J011yroger
02-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Swine warm weather living people! You will get no sympathy from me LOL

J

Voltron
02-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Swine warm weather living people! You will get no sympathy from me LOL

J

Dude, where I live 24 is the highest temperature in months. I don't live in a warm place, trust me.

JHBKLYN
02-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Perhaps wear a lot of layers so you're nice and warm and keep those layers on during the 5-minute warm up and you'll be sweating in no time. Also, maybe play the first couple of games with those layers on and gradually take the layers off as your shoulder/arm start to loosen up. I recently saw a guy wear his pull-over hat and his winter jacket while playing a tournament because the courts were kinda nippy. It was kinda comical.

Gugafan_Redux
02-12-2007, 09:24 AM
Um, you can all suck it, because it was -17 F here last week. League nights, I go early and hit the treadmill and/or bike beforehand.

Sakkijarvi
02-12-2007, 03:45 PM
Part of my pre-match prep when I am ice cold: I smear Mineral Ice on my arm, elbow and shoulder. It really helps and is the best product of its type.

Sakki

stormholloway
02-12-2007, 11:28 PM
There's a Tai Chi move called "Bear".

It's very simple. You just stand in one place and swing your arms freely starting with the hips. Let them swing around and keep them very loose, so they swing and hit your body. Exhale on each swing. Do it for a couple minutes. This works wonders.

I know it sounds silly, but I learned it from a yoga teacher who said he learned it from this badass Tai Chi master. "If you do one move every day, do The Bear."

Do it alone if you're embarrassed.

Roforot
02-13-2007, 04:17 AM
Today it's in the 40s in Austin so we get a few weeks of cold weather. I try to rotate through the major joints (neck, shoulder, elbow, knee, ankle) and ofcourse twists which maybe like this Bear? I then side-step all the way around the court on all the lines, and reverse directions. At this point do some shallow lunges, assisted squats, and 2 sets of 15 pushups and I'm ready to start hitting. This all takes me about 7-8 minutes and I'm close to breaking a sweat. Note first 5 minutes of hitting I still consider part of warmup and slowly increase pace and effort to run down balls, and if it's cold, it may take 10 minutes before I'm really ready.

BTW, I tried to google this but had no luck? Stormholloway, would you put up a video of you doing the bear? :)

Carnifex
02-13-2007, 02:35 PM
J-Roger,

if the club you're playing in has a steam or sauna, you can try that. I found a pretty good way to loosen up my shoulder is to take very light weights, say a 5 lb.-er, and slowly start going through tennis-like movements. Seems to help at least a little.

ferocious4hand
02-13-2007, 02:41 PM
There's a Tai Chi move called "Bear".

It's very simple. You just stand in one place and swing your arms freely starting with the hips. Let them swing around and keep them very loose, so they swing and hit your body. Exhale on each swing. Do it for a couple minutes. This works wonders.

I know it sounds silly, but I learned it from a yoga teacher who said he learned it from this badass Tai Chi master. "If you do one move every day, do The Bear."

Do it alone if you're embarrassed.

dude, is that what that’s called? my dad use to and still swings his arms in a stationary position like that for like hours. he’d slap his arm against his body and after a while the noise gets really loud and annoying. he wanted me to join him but I was too hesitant to do so. maybe this is a good way to warm-up?