PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Get Involved in Tournaments and such?

Nexus
02-10-2007, 09:01 PM
I live in northern california. I'm not a member of the USTA, but I want to start participating in tournaments and stuff even though my coach advises me not to because he says there's a lot of sitting and waiting around involved. Whether or not that's true, I think participating in a tournament or two will help me grow as a player and give me some new experiences. So, where or how do you guys think I should start. I know of a place in an adjacent town that holds tournaments.

Anyway, I assume my first step is to join the USTA, right? Advice, directions? Help?!

Oh, and in terms of cost, how much does it cost to play in tournaments and such. Local ones.

The Prodigy
02-10-2007, 09:33 PM
the price really depends on the type of tournament and the reason for it. usually, i think it's around 28-35$ for singles for either novice, challenger, or open... for Juniors that is.

retroceso
02-10-2007, 10:17 PM
where do you live in north cal?

Hewitt Aussie
02-12-2007, 07:04 PM
I think you should take tournaments with the USTA, i do and since i started i have gotten much better and now i have won a tournament and i have advanced to the next level. Now i am playing eve harder kids and it is better because the harder the kids i play the better i get.

Nexus
02-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Me? Hah! Even people who live in Norcal don't know my town. Anyway, I live in Riverbank. Surrounding cities are : Modesto, Escalon, Oakdale, and that's all I can think of. Heard of it retro?

Prodigy: Thanks for the price. I think that's affordable. I need to just get 20 bucks so I can join the USTA. Next time they're at the college I hit at on saturday mornings, I'll try to swing by there and sign up and get some information. And no, it's just a bunch of older people who play doubles in the morning. Playing against them is fun, challenging, or sometimes easy depending on the opponents. Later in the days, I can sometimes get in singles against some good people.

Retro, where do you live?

And my record for most sets in a day is 15 so far. I think I won the majority of them, but my feet weren't very friendly by the time it was all said and done.

Fat_Cup_Of_Tea
02-13-2007, 09:02 PM
Hey! I live in Norcal too! Never heard of Riverbank. =/

I really want to start playing tournaments, both doubles and singles soon. I don't know how to motivate myself to do it though. I definitely want to play though.

Dashbarr
02-13-2007, 09:14 PM
Norcal juniors...UNITE. totallly stolen. im norcal too.

Fat_Cup_Of_Tea
02-13-2007, 09:17 PM
^ haha. Sweeeet!

Dashbarr
02-13-2007, 09:23 PM
im wondering if i should make a Norcal thread, i really want to see who on here is near me.

Fat_Cup_Of_Tea
02-13-2007, 09:25 PM
^hmmm, well that would be fun-ish. Norcal is pretty big though, so not really near.

Nexus
02-14-2007, 07:25 PM
Riverbank's a small town. Not a highly successful tennis team in the recent-past-years. My school's mostly known for the success of cross country and track. We have a runner that's 2nd best in state for his age in cross country, and probably would have been first had he not had to have surgery on his leg. The cross country coach is also the tennis coach, so, I get a lot of running in because of it. Not a bad deal, if you ask me. :) Now, if my coach could produce a top 5 tennis player in the state, that'd be awesome.

Anyway, it'd be nice to play different people, but not people in my school league. I like to go into those matches all blind and such. It makes it WAY more exciting. In league, we placed 4 out of 7 (I didn't play last year because we had a full varsity), but had the most all-leaguers.

Anyway, what cities/towns do you guys live in and how successful are your team(s)?