PDA

View Full Version : Excellent 4.0/4.5 Team Tournament at Tops'l in Destin, FL

Z-Man
02-11-2007, 06:49 PM
If you live in the Southeast and have 7 friends in the 4.0-5.0 range, there is an excellent team tournament at Tops'l in Destin every February. A group from my area played this tournament last weekend, and we had a great time. They draw about 8 teams from around the Southeast. You play 4 doubles spots in 4 matches with the finals on Sunday morning for the top 4 teams. It's a lot like going to a state tournament except different levels can play on the same team and you stay in condos a few feet from the courts. It doesn't count for the USTA. The top spots are strong 4.5 or even 5.0, but there are some weaker 4.0s and even stong 3.5s at the #4 spots. It's a great tournament with some really high-level play. I hope to see some TW folks there next year!

goober
02-11-2007, 08:20 PM
A little off topic but how is Tops'l for a vacation spot for nontennis family members?

Z-Man
02-12-2007, 08:52 AM
They have a pretty nice health club with renovated delux locker rooms. Indoor/outdoor pool, hot tub, etc. The courts are clay and in good condition. We didn't go to the beach, so I can't comment on that, but I have been on the beach next door at Sandestin, and it's beautiful. Tops'l is an older resort that is being slowly renovated. The condos are pretty nice w/ full kitchens and living rooms. It's not the 4 Seasons or the Ritz, but it's nice. A 2 bedroom condo was $500 for three nights. There's a sleeper sofa in the living room and a small bedroom / baby room off of the upstairs bedroom which is ideal if you have a small child.

If you want something newer, stay next door at Sandestin. It's really nice. It's spread out, so it's a little less convenient for a tennis-only trip, but the baytown area across the street which is part of Sandestin is really cool. I don't know what a condo with a kitchen and a living room costs at Sandestin, but Tops'l seemed like a good deal for what you got. Destin is a nice area.