PDA

View Full Version : Hard Hitters

seeker06
02-12-2007, 09:14 AM
Im definetly not the strongest or tallest person (5'4) on my college tennis team and yet they are using Pure Drives. while I am using more of a players stick my O3 Tour MP which is lower powered than a Pure Drive. Since physically i am already at a disadvantage would it help to switch to a stiffer more powerful racquet? I added weight to my stick so that when i hit the ball its more stable when returning groundstrokes. it helped but Im still questioning it.

Voltron
02-12-2007, 09:25 AM
I wouldn't, that stick gives you more control than their stick, the Pure Crap. Also the PD will kill your arm, and you don't want that eh? If you still think you need more power, try a more powerful stick, but I don't think you'll like it.

Steve F.
02-12-2007, 10:29 AM
Work on your timing, footwork, and taking the ball early to rob them of time. If your size stats are correct, you won't be outhitting bigger guys any day soon with a racquet switch. Besides, you're on the team, solidify the strengths that got you there. Think about spins, slices and rhythm. Your heavy topsin shot will seem a lot heavier after three slices in a row call up the short ball from an opponent. Matches are won by guys with the best blend of strategy and execution, not by blowing the ball past the opponent. Good luck.

Sakkijarvi
02-12-2007, 02:43 PM
My pro is always saying, "spin over pace..."

Sakki

Sagittar
02-12-2007, 03:30 PM
i don't think that a racquet change would help , further more it could hurt your game, maybe a little more training could be the solution but no for a racquet change ...

eunjam
02-12-2007, 03:36 PM
you generate pace from their pace.

Pusher
02-12-2007, 04:49 PM
Im definetly not the strongest or tallest person (5'4) on my college tennis team and yet they are using Pure Drives. while I am using more of a players stick my O3 Tour MP which is lower powered than a Pure Drive. Since physically i am already at a disadvantage would it help to switch to a stiffer more powerful racquet? I added weight to my stick so that when i hit the ball its more stable when returning groundstrokes. it helped but Im still questioning it.

I'd consider more powerful strings before I considered a racquet change.

Orion
02-12-2007, 06:52 PM
I agree, start taking the ball early. Footwork and early preparation will be your best tactic. If you know their bringing heat try to anticipate and work on timing their shots. Don't try and match power with power but don't push. Look to use their pace and frustrate them into hitting an unforced error.

Ronnie92
02-12-2007, 09:05 PM
Hit a bit of a flatter shot for more power, too.

BabolatFan
02-13-2007, 12:08 PM
SEekor06, don't change your rac. Like others suggest, work on timing, footwork and train for a variety of shots. Be on the offensive without overdoing it. Construct your points. You're good.