PDA

View Full Version : Bad night at the Tennis Clinic

Nick Irons
02-13-2007, 10:27 AM
I try and get out to a Monday Night clinic these days as it is good for my game and the Cardio Tennis appraoch is a fun workout; but last night I wanted to just start smacking people

The class is usually comprised of 3.5 to 4. players with an accasional 4.5 er stepping in and includes some ladies; a few who are ex-junior players and are really solid

Onto the rant

1. We have this old dude that takes the clinic (mid 60's ? 70's ? Who know's ... ) who is a grumpy, beligerent *******. Some ex-football coach who picked up the game in his 40's. He's about 6'3" and just swats at the rock with the ugliest motion you've ever seen. He wears a knee brace, so him actually moving around and picking up the pace or chasing down a ball is on the perennial wish list

I call him the rally killer. Even when the Head Pro starts to set us up for a rally, he'll take the feed from the pro and kill it while everyone stand there and goes 'Gee, great put away ...' :roll: "Now, next time, put it into play so we can get a rally going, asshat."

He's always telling everyone that he didn't start playing until he was in his 40's but doesn;t realize he still has like 20 years on all of us in experience, and still sucks the big one.

Last night, while playing a sort of 2 court, round robin style game, I was unfortunate enough to be on this guy's team. The other team serves to me, I hit it back, the other guy hits it long and out:

The ball is so long and out you thought Barry Bonds got a hold of it. EVeryone and their mother says 'Out' even before it is out it is so out. I chop backhand it back to the server to save everyone the time of chasing it down; the ball is over head high when I hit it.

This guy yells; what are you doing ? It was out !

I said 'Yes, I know.'

Meanwhile, the server guy hit s lame duck lob over this guys head and it taps the baseline, landing in. This guy go's "Your point!" and then everyone looks at each other and then me and then him; the other team guy goes 'No. no. no, that was out'

This guy goes 'No, He hit it."

I said "It was ouuutttttt." he goes "No, no it's a rule."

I said "We know the rules, you're truppin out dude." (That's ver batim)

We all sheepishly go "Uh, okay .." and continue play ....

(And yes, we all know the rules; this was a 4 point cardio excersize; and then you rotated)

RANT OVER

And one other thing; some yahoo let the 2.0 player show up. Lot's of fun rally's were started. Oh no, wait, there wasn't.

And one other event:

Last night ? I hit a forehand right into the back of this old guys head. First I thought I totally mishit it and felt really bad; but then realized

This old coot stands in the middle of the court when he is up. You're like 'Dude, I need some room (When serving) and he ignores you or can't hear you .... So of course, your chopping lame *** 2nd serves in as not to smack him

Well, one of my smoking forehands hit his ***. He was standing in the middle of the court at the net.

Sigh

tennismike33
02-13-2007, 02:09 PM
I am sorry that I screwed up your night, can we take a break together and go get a cig?

Actually I know your pain, I stopped going to a lot of workouts because of things like this. The people who go there to hit winner after winner, it gets aggravating.

Here is my story:

We had an aspiring junior practice with us one day, we were doing a serve and volley drill. I served to him, came towards the net and he hit a lob over my head. This happened 3 times, after the third time I mentioned to him in a loud voice that this was serve and volley drill, please return the ball so that I can work on my volley skills, not my overhead skills. The next time he did the same thing, I hit the biggest overhead I could, right at him and then packed my bags and went home.

Nick Irons
02-13-2007, 03:37 PM
That is exactly what I'm talking about

:P

I quit smoking almost 2 years ago ; P : )

I'll have a glass of Merlot

Voltron
02-13-2007, 03:42 PM
That sucks, I can't believe anyone could be that stupid, damn old folks, send em to the home I say. ;)

tennismike33
02-13-2007, 03:55 PM
That sucks, I can't believe anyone could be that stupid, damn old folks, send em to the home I say. ;)

The home even lets us out occasionally!!!!

The Gorilla
02-13-2007, 07:06 PM
I am sorry that I screwed up your night, can we take a break together and go get a cig?

Actually I know your pain, I stopped going to a lot of workouts because of things like this. The people who go there to hit winner after winner, it gets aggravating.

Here is my story:

We had an aspiring junior practice with us one day, we were doing a serve and volley drill. I served to him, came towards the net and he hit a lob over my head. This happened 3 times, after the third time I mentioned to him in a loud voice that this was serve and volley drill, please return the ball so that I can work on my volley skills, not my overhead skills. The next time he did the same thing, I hit the biggest overhead I could, right at him and then packed my bags and went home.

ha ha, fair play to ya m8!

tennis-n-sc
02-14-2007, 04:15 AM
Could it be that the "old man" can whip your butt? :)

Nick Irons
02-14-2007, 06:22 PM
Yeaaaahhhhh

OrangeOne
02-14-2007, 06:31 PM
Sounds like an annoying guy, but personally I've never, ever, ever liked seeing someone hit/catch/whatever 'out' balls, primarily because a ball is never out until it's landed.

I know you said you all know the rules, and maybe tennis for the sake of cardo, well such a thing makes sense. Then again, the two or four extra steps after the bounce to get the ball probably are good for cardo effort too.

Personally - I just think doing the above in practice might risk instilling a bad habit and someone may do it in a match. Call me whatever you want, but I never, ever, ever allow someone to take a point that way in a match.

Nick Irons
02-14-2007, 07:11 PM
I see your point and cannot argue

No bad habits developed here; it was long gone; everyone was like

Huh ?

Maybe I did not add; I was 3' to 4' behind the baseline when I made contact, and with zero effort of play. Literally how you'd hit back during warm up ...

No matter

The guy needs to go to Senior night. And when I'm that old; I'll do the same.

Raiden.Kaminari
02-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Hmmm ... I don't know.

I just hit yesterday with some 4.0 and 5.0 senior players (around 70+). They moved well (got to all my drop shots), and hit well (they kicked my partner and my respective tails).

It's not about age, it's about the skill.

Afterwards, a 2.5 to 3.0 senior player (with Parkinson) showed up trying to find someone to hit with. Since nobody seemed willing to, I hit about 1 1/2 hour with him to work on my consistency and control since he wasn't too mobile. And I had a lot of fun.

Maybe some of you folks think that playing against good players is everything, but when you simplify life, it is fun just to be alive (even if you're complaining about partner X, opponent Y). So just go out and have fun. Playing tennis is bonus time :)

dcottrill
02-15-2007, 10:32 AM
Playing tennis is bonus time :)

Under my belief system, time spent on the tennis court is not deducted from our lifetime allotment of "total time." So...there is no such thing as a bad time playing tennis. It's all good. :D

bluegrasser
02-16-2007, 06:00 AM
Hmmm ... I don't know.

I just hit yesterday with some 4.0 and 5.0 senior players (around 70+). They moved well (got to all my drop shots), and hit well (they kicked my partner and my respective tails).

Afterwards, a 2.5 to 3.0 senior player (with Parkinson) showed up trying to find someone to hit with. Since nobody seemed willing to, I hit about 1 1/2 hour with him to work on my consistency and control since he wasn't too mobile. And I had a lot of fun.

Maybe some of you folks think that playing against good players is everything, but when you simplify life, it is fun just to be alive (even if you're complaining about partner X, opponent Y). So just go out and have fun. Playing tennis is bonus time :)

Good man..

jimmycoop
02-16-2007, 06:58 AM
On behalf of AARP tennis guys everywhere: Thanks, Raiden.Kamanari and tennis-n-sc for recognizing another faulty generalization. Beware, Voltron and Nick, you'll be there before you know it. Ditto, others--it's all good time.

Nick Irons
02-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Hmmm ... I don't know.

So are you about 60 ? ;)

I hit with the same from time to time and although they are models of consistency (especially when putting their continentals on display), ufortunately, these guys aren't moving 'well enough' nor hit with any pace. I find myself playing safer, more friendly tennis. (I'm a strong 4.0 player.)

Now look; I aint tooting any horns, there isn't any glory is beating up on senior citizens. I play with these guys for working on my game and the simple fact they're classy guys.

Too a degree. Somewhere on the planet there is a formula that shows the seperation points.

Could not agree any more sans a point. I prefer to play against players better than me; it makes my game improve.

But it is not about playing better or worse players or complaining about the partner; it is about the ASSHAT PLAYER.

But this thread was a minor rant on one of the joys of tennis; the kook. Nothing more.

On behalf of tennis guys everywhere: Thanks, Raiden.Kamanari and tennis-n-sc for recognizing another faulty generalization. Beware, Voltron and Nick, you'll be there before you know it. Ditto, others--it's all good time.[/QUOTE]

Faulty generation ? Come on ... don't lump up is into the same category as your grandchildren.

Then you missed the entire point of the thread. When did this become a bash on the old dogs ? It was not, until you started to make it one.

I am quite aware of being there one day, trust me.

-

Maybe the thread should be titled ATTACK OF THE TENNIS KOOK

Tennis is such a cerebral sport I think that it attracts some of the more kookiest players. This guy in question, was not about his age, it was about his overall temperment and behaivuor.

ON the flip side, there are about 4 other dudes (Well into their AARP years) that are solid players, fun and true players.

Aggghh - you missed the point !

dcottrill
02-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Faulty generation ? Come on ... don't lump up is into the same category as your grandchildren.

He said (I'm paraphrasing here) that to lump all us old guys together is a faulty GENERALIZATION. He did not say that you are part of a faulty GENERATION. :roll:

tennis-n-sc
02-16-2007, 01:24 PM

Then you missed the entire point of the thread. When did this become a bash on the old dogs ? It was not, until you started to make it one.

I am quite aware of being there one day, trust me.

Well, it could be because you made such a point to combine the dude's age with his actions. I think his actions was really what bugged you, not his age. But your wording left too much of an inflection on age rather than actions. But I remember when I was youngster of 40, I lumped 'em all together.;)

Nick Irons
02-16-2007, 04:04 PM
He said (I'm paraphrasing here) that to lump all us old guys together is a faulty GENERALIZATION. He did not say that you are part of a faulty GENERATION. :roll:

Ouch. My mistake and apologies. :oops:

Well, it could be because you made such a point to combine the dude's age with his actions. I think his actions was really what bugged you, not his age. But your wording left too much of an inflection on age rather than actions. But I remember when I was youngster of 40, I lumped 'em all together.;)

I only intended to paint a picture and illustrate what we were dealing with here. I also want to further emphasize the other 'older dogs' who not only play solid tennis but just are great guys to play with.

I suppose all of my detail on the guy was for 'And if that is not enough ....' purposes.

Raiden.Kaminari
02-17-2007, 01:28 AM
So are you about 60 ? ;)

40 year old former 5.5 ... now down to a 4.5 (heading to 4.0), because I spend more time at work than on a tennis court (and even less time preparing to play on a tennis court). Which is why the seniors beat up on me and my partner. They just simply outfoxed us.

Could not agree any more sans a point. I prefer to play against players better than me; it makes my game improve.

Which brings up a good question? This exact thinking was brought up in a Tennis Week article. If Federer is so good, who does he practice with? Turns out with someone with a much lower ranking, so that he that he works on his shots, his game, and doesn't strain himself. It turns out many of the top pros also do the same, and for a similar reason. Which is why I stress to my tennis students (I'm also certified as a USPTA / PTR instructor ... those who can no longer do, teach) the importance to hit with anyone.

But it is not about playing better or worse players or complaining about the partner; it is about the ASSHAT PLAYER.

I attended a Wayne Dyer seminar, and one thing he says is those people should be viewed as masters. And what they're trying to teach you is patience and forgiveness :grin: