PDA

View Full Version : Open face with the 1hbh?

Tour90
09-01-2004, 09:16 PM
About a month ago I posted a question on whether it was right for me to use a continental grip for a 1hbh. It was bad for the wrist like BB said so I switched to the eastern (where my knuckle is on the top bevel) I was paying attention to how I hit the ball today and I noticed that I hit it with a more open face when I go from low to high. I was just wondering if this was the proper technique to hit the 1hbh with the eastern.

Thanks

linli101
09-02-2004, 07:18 AM
I have a friend who has the same problem. Then I found out his wrist position was wrong. He has the same wrist position (laid back L shaped) as his forehand. To my understanding for 1hbh both wrist and elbow are straight at contact point.

Rickson
09-02-2004, 08:25 AM
How the hell did you get an open face with an eastern backhand grip? Your wrist is pronating way too much if you get an open face on contact, my face is usually square or semi-closed when I use and eastern backhand grip.

Bungalo Bill
09-02-2004, 10:30 AM
Yeah I agree with Rickson, you have to be turning your wrist at contact.

The other thiing is you could be leaning back or have a contact point too far out in front.

If you lunge for the ball, your body and forward swing sort of goes downward and this can cause your wrist to turn up at contact to compensate.

Lots of issues on this one. Hard one to solve without seeing you hit.

Again slow balls, learn to lock in a comfortable wrist position and swing path. Get the chair out and learn what your legs are suppose to do in the onehanded backhand.

Camilio Pascual
09-02-2004, 11:52 AM
How the hell did you get an open face with an eastern backhand grip?

I was wondering about that, a flat lob would be the one shot swinging low to high with an open face that would make sense.

Tour90
09-02-2004, 03:55 PM
well, it's just that with the grip, every time i hit my backhand, it tends to not clear the net and this is the only way for it to go over. It's like my western forehand, or the angle of the racquet at least. I'll try to get a video of it and post it on here.

JohnThomas1
09-02-2004, 10:47 PM
Maybe you are not getting low and lifting, which with that grip drives the ball up and over the net. Fix the wrist, get low and 12 inches under the ball with the racquet face as Bill says and lift. I bet bills chair drill helps. It would take a bit of time to adjust to such a grip change i am thinking.