PDA

View Full Version : Semi-W to Conti grip: Contact point changes.

stanleyshyeoh
09-01-2004, 10:19 PM
My friends pointed out that I'm hitting the ball later than I used to.

I realise my forehand grip has changed slightly more towards a continental lately. I played with semi western all along.

But to have people realise the difference could mean my contact point have deteriorated too badly.

How significant is the contact point difference between a semi-w and continental grip?

Mahboob Khan
09-05-2004, 09:06 PM
What is continental forehand grip?: the base knuckle of the index finger is on panel number 2 or upper part of panel number 2. Now a days, this grip is used for the serve, volleys, and smashes. It may also be used for 1-handed slices. The contact point for this grip for forehand ground stroke is quite low -- between your knee and ankle -- and the contact is more in the body than out in front.

What is semi-western forehand grip?: the base knuckle of the index finger is on panel number 4 or between 3/4. The point of contact for this grip is between your midsection and chest and it is more out in front than the Eastern forehand grip.

You said that your grip has changed from semi-western to continental. Well, that's a drastic grip change, and I can understand, with this your point of contact, height of contact, and distance from the body, has all messed up.

My advice would be to go to Eastern forehand grip because it is closer to continental and semi-western. For Eastern FH (the base knuckle of the index finger is on panel number 3), the contact point is between your front knee and waist, and it is in front of the front (left) foot because at this point the racket is vertical and parallel to the ground!

Yours is a unique case. This problem is normally associated with serve and volleyers, chip and chargers. If you do more serve and volley plays/drills, and less ground stroke play/drills, the grip may slip to continental. Are you one of them? Cheers, Mahboob Khan.