PDA

View Full Version : Do people actually believe Federer phony friendship with Tiger woods is for real???

Roger is Boring
02-13-2007, 07:56 PM
it is funny that fed cant get no respect unless hes hanging out with the home boys lol!!~!
theri agents put them up to it u know

Tennis4life
02-13-2007, 08:04 PM
It's a phony one... absolutely... without a doubt. There's no common ground between them except 'I pat your back... and You pat mine'.

wildmoose31
02-13-2007, 08:11 PM
its probably something pushed by nike too, but i wouldnt say they arent friends.

but its really hilarious how the nadal fans will grab on to whatever little they can find wrong with feder

alienhamster
02-13-2007, 08:36 PM
its probably something pushed by nike too, but i wouldnt say they arent friends.

but its really hilarious how the nadal fans will grab on to whatever little they can find wrong with feder
Is it really hilarious? I don't think that's quite my reaction . . .

But a big YEAH on the Nike thing. And despite the corporate pushing, it seems like there's a mutual respect between them. Don't know if anyone really thinks it's a "friendship."

BigServer1
02-13-2007, 08:46 PM
They both seem to like and respect each other. Keep in mind that regardless of their dominance in their respective sports, they didn't meet until the US Open 2006. Apparently they have started trash talking in reference to number of tour wins and major titles. My take on it is that Nike arranged the first meeting, but from there it's been genuine.

To the OP: Apparently Nadal has become really good friends with Phil Mickelson. After Phil's improbable choke job at the US Open, he said "I need to be friends with someone who doesn't live up to year round expectations." He recently called Nadal, knowing full well that even though he was the #2 seed in every big event he entered, he hadn't made a final in 8 months, and was a disappointment to his fans everywhere. Phil and Rafa have a great friendship, and I hope it continues.

tandayu
02-13-2007, 08:52 PM
The benefactor is NIKE, it is a cross marketing for their products

ibemadskillzz
02-13-2007, 08:55 PM
they do maybe have a friendship, tiger showed up at open and now fed shows up at tiger's event, whenever Federer shows up to Tiger's event, Tiger has not won. But during the times he didn't show, tiger won each of those times. Federer is bad luck for Tiger.
I am a golfer and a tennis player. I like golf better

Mick
02-13-2007, 09:08 PM
they may not be the best of buddies but I am sure they are friends. Friends are nothing special. Your co-worker can be your friend.

Deuce
02-13-2007, 11:33 PM
Federer and Woods are simply business partners...
It's a Nike thing - 100%.

Nadal_Freak
02-14-2007, 12:16 AM

lol at the irony of you saying that. Fed fans are the worst when it comes to looking for little things to take down Nadal.

caulcano
02-14-2007, 01:02 AM
lol at the irony of you saying that. Fed fans are the worst when it comes to looking for little things to take down Nadal.

I highly doubt that.

Zaragoza
02-14-2007, 03:06 AM

True, Nadal fans respect Fed much more than Fed fans respect Nadal.

Steve Huff
02-14-2007, 04:09 AM
Connors once said it was really difficult to be friends with your competitors. It exposed your weaknesses. Many other top players don't seem buddy/buddy with other tennis players. These 2 guys can relate. And, they don't have to compete with one another. So, conceivably, they could really be friends. That said, I'm sure Nike has made sure this is a million dollar friendship.

armand
02-14-2007, 03:34 PM
It's lonely at the top. Gotta find somebody...

BlankenshipBabaganoosh
02-14-2007, 03:36 PM
if fed doesnt care to return petes calls, why should he care about someone who # 1 in something which is not even a sport??

The tennis guy
02-14-2007, 06:43 PM
It seems people on this board know whether they are friends or whatever. How the hell do you know? Why are you so certain when all you have is a guess at best?

tandayu
02-14-2007, 07:17 PM
Connors once said it was really difficult to be friends with your competitors. It exposed your weaknesses. Many other top players don't seem buddy/buddy with other tennis players. These 2 guys can relate. And, they don't have to compete with one another. So, conceivably, they could really be friends. That said, I'm sure Nike has made sure this is a million dollar friendship.

Borg and Vitas was close friends..practice together...one great match at 1977 Wimbledon, but Vitas never win even once

dowjones
02-14-2007, 07:54 PM
Hey weird sh** happens...look at Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband doin' Anna Nicole Smith. Why can't Fed and Tiger be friends?

Rataplan
02-15-2007, 03:26 AM
Well, I don't think that they hate each other but it does seem a bit orchestrated.

Why are you so certain when all you have is a guess at best?
It should be obvious to anybody out there that all most of us can do is guessing. People who think it's genuine or people who think it's fake...they're all just guessing.

sureshs
02-15-2007, 08:00 AM
Not just Nike, but IMG too is a common factor. They manage Federer and Woods.

Now I believe they are doing a Gilette shaving commercial along with a soccer player.

So, they have lot of business interests in common. It all started with Federer "spontaneously" encountering Tiger in the US Open locker room. The TV cameras were already there in preparation for the "spontaneous" moment.

HollerOne5
02-15-2007, 08:44 AM
Completely fake and phony....not even a question.

Tiger was clapping for Roger at the US Open like he was his childhood friend, and they even said on TV they had just met in person that week.

slice bh compliment
02-15-2007, 08:49 AM
Synergy among corporate icons. This whole concept was just a twinkle in Phil Knight's eye about twenty or 25 years ago.

And I'm sure they have to mention it only once to camerafolk.

Budgerigar
02-15-2007, 08:49 AM
based on what i see, it more real than phony.

stormholloway
02-15-2007, 09:40 AM
They're lovers.

Seriously though, if Tiger wasn't Tiger, would you want to hang out with him? Kinda comes off as a dweebozoid... no offense...

slice bh compliment
02-15-2007, 10:11 AM
They're lovers.

Seriously though, if Tiger wasn't Tiger, would you want to hang out with him? Kinda comes off as a dweebozoid... no offense...

None taken, but I think characterizing Tiger as a dweebozoid is on the generous side.

grizzly4life
02-15-2007, 10:18 AM
i think they're friends... probably not close friends. but they have similar experiences... BTW, nike could have arranged it and they still became friends.

slice bh compliment
02-15-2007, 10:21 AM
i think they're friends... probably not close friends. but they have similar experiences... BTW, nike could have arranged it and they still became friends.

Kind of like an arranged marriage in some cultures? Among royalty. In 19th century aristocratic American society?

LASVEGAS ACES
02-15-2007, 10:29 AM
Look, I won't speak ill of the deceased-
But when Tiger was a kid playing at the Seal Beach / Los Alimitos Ca. NAVY courses (2 built together), there was always a standing priority on tee times- that is, ACTIVE duty (officers on down) got first- THEN reserves THEN retirees, this would be only right-

Well the stink is, his old man would play "the card" whenever they were held up by ACTIVES getting "cuts"- heard this a lot from old fart daily retiree golfers, starters and employees.

grizzly4life
02-15-2007, 10:35 AM
Look, I won't speak ill of the deceased-
But when Tiger was a kid playing at the Seal Beach / Los Alimitos Ca. NAVY courses (2 built together), there was always a standing priority on tee times- that is, ACTIVE duty (officers on down) got first- THEN reserves THEN retirees, this would be only right-

Well the stink is, his old man would play "the card" whenever they were held up by ACTIVES getting "cuts"- heard this a lot from old fart daily retiree golfers, starters and employees.

if 12 year-old tiger was at most courses, they'd want him to go first..

Nick Irons
02-15-2007, 10:40 AM
it is funny that fed cant get no respect unless hes hanging out with the home boys lol!!~!
theri agents put them up to it u know

Tiger is a home boy ?

Heavy Metal Tennis Star
02-15-2007, 12:04 PM
they are not close friends, they HAVE TO be buddies, because they RESPECT each others dominance on their respective sports, and they are handled by the same management agency.

MoFed
02-15-2007, 04:48 PM
Roger also said they had talked on the phone several times but they had never met in person. I think they could be friends. There are just some people you meet and it's like you've known them for your entire life. That's what it was like when I met my best friend at school. We've been best friends now for years. I'm not saying they're BFF's but I think they have a lot in common.

LASVEGAS ACES
02-20-2007, 09:58 AM
You guys act like they have started taking baths together.
Just maybe they have a lot in common- tons of dough, best at each respective sport, unheard of beautiful women.... well, best at each respective sport.

ATXtennisaddict
02-20-2007, 10:20 AM
oh come on ppl, they are friends but i'm sure that's it. definitely not best friends and all that but in front of the media, gotta look real real friendly right?

Supernatural_Serve
02-20-2007, 10:35 AM
There are all kinds of friends. I would call this one a friend of convenience.

When its convenient they will be friends and do things together.

How much time does Federer or Woods for that matter have for friends?

Their schedules are kind of booked with activities to have much time left over for friends, especially new found friends.

Roger is Boring
03-25-2007, 03:13 PM
bump-
looks like the nike hype machine is back at work promoting the two robots as buddies lol..

Baghdatis72
03-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Roger and Tiger are professionals meeting for marketing purposes. Nothing more.
If a kind of friendship develops in the meantime then good for them.

kingdaddy41788
03-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Yes, it was orchestrated. How else would they have met? But they probably are friends... no reason not to be... They might have a lot in common - you don't know either one.

ibringtheHEAT
03-25-2007, 04:37 PM
Tiger is a home boy ?

haha. you beat me to it

The Smiths
03-25-2007, 04:42 PM
Tiger is a home boy ?

Tiger is an oreo. ;)

slice bh compliment
03-25-2007, 04:46 PM
Tiger is an oreo. ;)

His mom is Thai, so if he is an oreo, he's dipped in a curry.

The Smiths
03-25-2007, 04:51 PM
His mom is Thai, so if he is an oreo, he's dipped in a curry.

black on the outside, white in the inside. The opposite of Eminem.

slice bh compliment
03-25-2007, 04:57 PM
Oh, I see. SO that's what Oreo means.

Well, I guess I just wanted to mention Thai food. Great dinner tonight, but I'm up for a little apres-tennis spicy dinner at a Thai place for Monday night.

I bet the Thai people are proud of Woods.

Butters!
03-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Oh, I see. SO that's what Oreo means.

Well, I guess I just wanted to mention Thai food. Great dinner tonight, but I'm up for a little apres-tennis spicy dinner at a Thai place for Monday night.

I bet the Thai people are proud of Woods.

Thai food is excellent. :D

FedFan_2007
03-25-2007, 05:45 PM
Thai food is excellent. :D

No kidding. I had my first Thai lunch a month ago and it was splendid. I can't wait until I get my next.

Swissv2
03-25-2007, 06:19 PM
They both seem to like and respect each other. Keep in mind that regardless of their dominance in their respective sports, they didn't meet until the US Open 2006. Apparently they have started trash talking in reference to number of tour wins and major titles. My take on it is that Nike arranged the first meeting, but from there it's been genuine.

To the OP: Apparently Nadal has become really good friends with Phil Mickelson. After Phil's improbable choke job at the US Open, he said "I need to be friends with someone who doesn't live up to year round expectations." He recently called Nadal, knowing full well that even though he was the #2 seed in every big event he entered, he hadn't made a final in 8 months, and was a disappointment to his fans everywhere. Phil and Rafa have a great friendship, and I hope it continues.

lol, classic.

Nick Irons
03-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by BigServer1

Wait ...

So Phil PWNTS Tiger ?