PDA

View Full Version : Hardcourt pro tennis should be made illegal

Golden Retriever
02-13-2007, 10:22 PM
I've only been playing hardcourt court for twice a week for the last 6 years and now I am suffering from some kind of chronic -ritis in my left ankle and right heel that probably will never heal. Now I can only play once a week and I can't jog at all or even hike for over one hour.

If an occasional player like me ends up suffering from chronic injuries, imagine what would happen to the hardcourt pros who train all day.

Hardcourt is just too hard to the joints and should be made illegal.

Shaw
02-13-2007, 10:35 PM
You suffering arthritis?

Golden Retriever
02-13-2007, 10:38 PM
You suffering arthritis?

Some kind of chronic joint inflammation that is like arthritis but not from aging.

Shaw
02-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Pardon my understanding. Are you saying that the "tissue (there is a term for it, but I forgot)" between your joint is worn out?

bluetrain4
02-13-2007, 10:49 PM
I agree, hardcourts are hard on the joints. But, making it "illegal" is ridiculous, if you're serious.

It's too bad there aren't more clay courts for the general public to use.

Shaw
02-13-2007, 10:50 PM
If that is the case, you should probably do very little exercise

Golden Retriever
02-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Pardon my understanding. Are you saying that the "tissue (there is a term for it, but I forgot)" between your joint is worn out?

Soft tissue worn out prematurely.

Golden Retriever
02-13-2007, 10:53 PM
If that is the case, you should probably do very little exercise

I can do low-impact exercise all day, like swimming, walking or sex.

caulcano
02-14-2007, 01:11 AM
I've only been playing hardcourt court for twice a week for the last 6 years and now I am suffering from some kind of chronic -ritis in my left ankle and right heel that probably will never heal. Now I can only play once a week and I can't jog at all or even hike for over one hour.

If an occasional player like me ends up suffering from chronic injuries, imagine what would happen to the hardcourt pros who train all day.

Tyring playing on concrete. :-D

Punisha
02-14-2007, 02:05 AM
just leave the normal ppl to play it without sooking and play on clay

anirut
02-14-2007, 04:17 AM
I can do low-impact exercise all day, like swimming, walking or sex.

The last exercise you mentioned is actually repetitive high impact with an average frequency of about 1.5 hertz. At peaks it could reach 2.2 hertz.

shrakkie
02-14-2007, 07:22 AM
I see your point. I've never heard of anyone geting a serious injury on hardcourts though. I shall be extra carefull however.

fuzz nation
02-14-2007, 09:09 AM
So, no injury problems from swimming, walking, or sex on hardcourts?

...what?

fastdunn
02-14-2007, 09:37 AM

I understand your sentiment. I'm light (5'10", 150 lbs) and thus don't have much
problem but I've seen lots of players having joint problems.

I think tennis is only sports played on concrete by general public.
Well, there's basketball but it's often played indoor on a floor with
some kind of cushion (wood, or one of those recycled artificial rubber surface).

I loved indoor carpet (on wooden floor) that I learned my tennis
18 years ago. Easy on the joints and rewarding for shot makers...

Cfidave
02-15-2007, 01:16 AM

Yeah, lets pass a law, so I don't have to worry about making a free choice. I just love these guys.

tuk
02-15-2007, 06:22 AM

Are you very tall?...very heavy maybe?...do you work out at the gym at all? that helps to prevent injuries you know....
Anyway, hardcourts are though on the body specially the joints but the fact that you are an occasional player may actually be part of the problem, pros actually work to prevent or minimize that kind of problem....because it happened to you doesn't mean it will happen to everyone specially because there are things you can do to prevent this type of thing....

chinese dragon
02-15-2007, 07:39 PM

I think you should just calm down...there is no need to blame hard courts when they are working for everyone else and not you...thats a bit overboard if you want to ban the hard courts.

Steve Huff
02-15-2007, 07:48 PM
And football players shouldn't be allowed to touch each other either. Tackling and hitting as they do leads to a lot of chronic knee injuries. And basketball--they should have lanes like they do in swimming. Everyone would have to stay in his lane. Those quick moves are also hard on the knees + this would prevent guys from landing on another players foot and spraining his ankle. Clay courts can be equally as brutal. Ask any pro which tournament is hardest on the body. I'd bet anyone that makes it to the semi's a few times will tell you it's Roland Garros. So, ideally, for health issues only, we need to develop a court that is soft, but fast. This way, the legs don't take a pounding and the points are relatively short.

Venetian
02-15-2007, 08:06 PM
Uhhh I've played on hard courts for about 9 years with no problems at all. Also, I play quite often. Maybe you just need to get in better shape; or maybe your body is just fragile.

stormholloway
02-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Maybe you don't play very hard. Hard courts are very tough on the body. Just look how many players on the male and female side of the sport get injured. It happens more now than it did in the grass and clay days.

Hard courts are an abomination. They're unnatural. Tennis is a lawn game and always will be. It should be played on grass or dirt, period.

Nick Irons
02-15-2007, 09:05 PM
You're an old lady aren't you ?

My god ......

Are you serious with this thread ?

Venetian
02-15-2007, 11:36 PM
Maybe you don't play very hard. Hard courts are very tough on the body. Just look how many players on the male and female side of the sport get injured. It happens more now than it did in the grass and clay days.

Hard courts are an abomination. They're unnatural. Tennis is a lawn game and always will be. It should be played on grass or dirt, period.

I play quite hard actually. I'm pretty sure I already said that.

EDIT: I guess I said I play quite often, but I also play very hard.

Venetian
02-16-2007, 12:13 AM

You mentioned you are an occasional player. It so happens that people who play sports occasionally are prone to becoming injured because they're not in top physical condition.

You may also just be the one unlucky guy out of several others that gets a bad injury. I'm sure there are plenty of professional players that are injury free.

DashaandSafin
02-16-2007, 05:24 AM
I can't tell if you're kidding or not, but if you're not...

Grow a sack. Ive been playing on hardcourts for years and I have not developed ONE single injury.

chair ump
02-16-2007, 06:44 AM
I had something similar once, and saw a podiatrist and had custom orthotics made for my feet. All foot/ankle/leg pain went away. I highly recommend this.

stormholloway
02-16-2007, 01:51 PM
Tell pros who become injured from constant hard court play they should grow a sack.

Z-Man
02-16-2007, 05:56 PM
I also dislike hardcourts. Clay is just so much easier on your body. I move better on clay, and I can play all day without stressing my joints and tendons. The worst is when you get used to sliding on clay, and then you play on a sticky hard court. If you're not careful, you can really hurt yourself.

ACE of Hearts
02-16-2007, 06:00 PM
I play on hardcourts everytime and dont have the problem.Maybe some of u guys arent stressing exercises.

Nadal_Freak
02-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Maybe some of us are more fragile than others. God has not created us all the same.

stormholloway
02-16-2007, 06:11 PM
I assume that the guy telling people to grow a sack doesn't like any cushioning in his shoes.

It's the same principle. Softer things are more comfortable.

Do you sleep on a bed of nails as well?

DashaandSafin
02-17-2007, 05:40 PM
I assume that the guy telling people to grow a sack doesn't like any cushioning in his shoes.

It's the same principle. Softer things are more comfortable.

Do you sleep on a bed of nails as well?

Yes clay may be more comfortable, but I really don't see or hear anyone complaining about hardcourts except for you old timers.

jelle v
02-18-2007, 05:00 AM
When I was sixteen or so (I'm now 26) I played a tournament on hardcourt. I managed to get to the semis or something like that (lost the 3th match), so I played 3 matches in something like 5 days. That was my first tournament on hardcourt. I used to play a lot those days and was in quite good shape, but after that tournament my knees and kalf (? the front of the underleg) hurt for over a week. Never by choice have I ever played again on hardcourt (sometimes for comptition). It just can't be healthy for your joints imo. In all fairness I do think that some stress on your joints can be prevented by wearing good shoes, but I think that playing tennis on hard-court will never be good for you.

And for the person that said that clay is hard on the body too: That's not true I think. It's more energy consuming because of the longer rallies, but I think that it is not bad for your knees or something.

arnz
02-18-2007, 05:20 AM
It shouldn't be made illegal, but I think people should know that long term its not the best for your joints.

Its like people who run on concrete or other hard surface, a significant number will develop problems in the long run. that is why beginning runners are encouraged to find a dirt trail, grass, or at worse asphalt to run on

omniexist
02-18-2007, 06:19 AM

I think you may have something there. While I haven't had a real injury (yet) because of HC, I can't feel the "pounding" and residual stresses caused by playing on it (especially if I play a long match). I usually feel it in the knees.

I think maybe they should modify HC to be more forgiving while keeping the speed.

stormholloway
02-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Yes clay may be more comfortable, but I really don't see or hear anyone complaining about hardcourts except for you old timers.

I'm 26. I'm not injured, but I am tall and would say my knees are my weakness.

That said, I'm not injured. The point is, you obviously aren't thinking about the future. Do you want to wait until you finally are injured to realize that hard courts are unhealthy?

If you smoked a pack a day, would you say: "I've smoked a pack a day for 5 years and don't have lung cancer." Just because you aren't injured doesn't mean that the court isn't affecting your body. It's a matter of shock. The human body didn't evolve to be stomping around on concrete.

People don't complain about hard courts because for most players it's all they know. A hard court is a "tennis court" to most people. When you say tennis court, they think of a hard court. And if you love playing tennis why would you complain about a tennis court unless it hurt you?

At least Australia has a cushioned system for their courts. I don't see why this is so hard to comprehend.

Jonny S&V
02-18-2007, 08:14 AM
I also suggest that you get orthotics if you are going to play on Hard Courts, along with some very soft shoes. The reason a lot of pros get injured is because they grew up on clay and/or they try doing clay court tricks (see Clijsters and Monfils). Those of us who are lucky enough (or unlucky to you who have weaker knees or ankles) almost never have a problem playing on hard courts. I must say that I have my game tailored to hard courts, but at a moments notice I could switch to a more of a baseline game on clay if I had to (although I would probably be too stubborn and still S&V on clay ;) ). You have to really spend a lot of time on hard courts in order be able to play without injuries. I have weak ankles so I wear braces and I do just fine on hard courts.

a guy
02-18-2007, 08:25 AM
I've played on concrete courts for 3 years and had no injuries.

DashaandSafin
02-18-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm 26. I'm not injured, but I am tall and would say my knees are my weakness.

That said, I'm not injured. The point is, you obviously aren't thinking about the future. Do you want to wait until you finally are injured to realize that hard courts are unhealthy?

If you smoked a pack a day, would you say: "I've smoked a pack a day for 5 years and don't have lung cancer." Just because you aren't injured doesn't mean that the court isn't affecting your body. It's a matter of shock. The human body didn't evolve to be stomping around on concrete.

People don't complain about hard courts because for most players it's all they know. A hard court is a "tennis court" to most people. When you say tennis court, they think of a hard court. And if you love playing tennis why would you complain about a tennis court unless it hurt you?

At least Australia has a cushioned system for their courts. I don't see why this is so hard to comprehend.

Yes, but the fact is that most tourtaments on tour are comprised of some sort of hard court and people grow up playing on hard court. Tennis courts aren't as plentiful because of the lack of popularity. Hard courts are defiantly the cheapest courts to make. Even the softer kind cost much more.